Brought a 61 Olds back from the dead out of a junkyard

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2008, 09:20 AM

NAS BACKYARD,

Sounds like you are having a great time with your build. Have fun. I am starting on my 48 Olds real soon
Old December 18th, 2008, 04:41 PM
zed

What's the verdict on the skirts?
Old December 18th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Personally, I don't like them on that car. If it were a 4-door I think they would look okay. I like the 2-door to plain. Now a set of American Racing wheels and slight lowering in the front would be awesome. I thought of this car when I saw a 63 Buick LeSabre 2-door sedan on ebay. That was the only year they made a 2-door sedan. It needed a lot of work.
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by zed
What's the verdict on the skirts?
The verdict is : I will put them on when i want to go "Cholo" I got them just to have them in case I want to go all mobstered out I have that option. I have mixed feelings about the looks but they will go good with the dual spotlights someday.
Old December 19th, 2008, 05:14 AM
zed

I know what you mean. I like the look 'without' but I'm kinda digging it 'with' too. Kinda grows on ya...
Old December 19th, 2008, 06:44 AM

It's all about personalizing it to what you like. Dare to be different I say.
Pat
Old December 19th, 2008, 08:27 AM

Some cars need the skirts just to finish their lines. My 57 looks better with the skirts I think. On my 48 they just would not look right with the tubbed rearend with the 10" wide tires and the custom wheels
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Past Administrator

Those skirts are really nice and will look very good on your car. Can't wait to see a picture of the car with them after paint!
Old December 24th, 2008, 03:33 AM

Got some other projects done so I pulled the Olds in for some detailing on the taillights. I decided to give it a little touch of Starfire. I detailed out the lights and shot a little spray bomb aluminum. I may go back to the white later if I don't like it in the day light.Weird thing happened while backing it up in the garage, it was struggling so I had to gun it kind of hard and I found a puddle of trans fluid on the floor in about a 10" patch. didn't leak anymore out after shutting it off. Anyway here are some pics. Kind of looks like FORD copied from this car on the 64 Galaxie. My handy work kind of reminds me of putting lipstick on a pig!

Last edited by NAS Backyard; December 24th, 2008 at 03:38 AM.
Old December 24th, 2008, 03:41 AM

A Jeremiah Johnston Olds with Hudson Bay Interior

Last edited by Jamesbo; December 24th, 2008 at 03:44 AM.
Old December 24th, 2008, 05:39 AM

Looks ok to me kind of a cute pig. The silver offsets the dingy white
Old December 24th, 2008, 06:12 AM
zed

That looks great. Two thumbs up!
Old December 24th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Registered Luser

Thumbs up

As long as you don't put any '80's graphics on there, she at least looks like a classy old girl. Not like one trying to hold onto her youth!
Old December 24th, 2008, 08:04 PM
GM Enthusiast

I like the look of what you did in the rear. From the pictures, the original paint still looks pretty good. I am not a fender skirt kind of guy, but that does not mean that they won't look good on it. But no matter what, you sound like your enjoying your new project. Now, you're starting to get me motivated to get back to work on mine!
Old December 24th, 2008, 09:18 PM

Thanks. The white paint is old and faded. I hope I motivate somebody. This project is about having fun and getting results in a short time. I did a 30 K resto in a 69 Roadrunner. I'm not doing that with this car. It may never see a paint booth. I want a car iIcan truly drive, without worries of scratches and parking lot dings. This car fits the bill perfect. Cool looking oddball without the shiney Roadrunner liabilities. I'm really going to look real hard for a factory 3 speed set up for a 61-62 full size this summer so I can keep the 394. These stock transmissions are obsolete and I don't car for the way they shift. Otherwise I'm going with the 455/400 thats under the workbench. i will eventually fix all the door and window seals and do something with the interior for sure. The suspension and springs are shot too, so i need to look at fixing / upgrading them. The skirts are a novelty I just had to have.
Old December 25th, 2008, 01:36 AM

Didn't even make it out of the garage before I decided to go back with the white . I think the taillights were OK but the silver aluminum "lipstick" didn't work for me. I also mounted my spotlight bracket back in the original holes. Now all I need is the other bracket which is still avalable from Unity for 65.00, ouch. I got this off ebay for 35.00 I'm going to hunt the swaps for the lights.

Old December 25th, 2008, 05:59 AM

What a story book

Great reading this morning and keep the updates coming.

Shawn
70 SX
71 Cutlass Convertible
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BB-16.jpg (27.1 KB, 12 views)
Old December 25th, 2008, 06:21 AM
zed

I really liked the silver tail panel. It looked like a factory colour scheme, sooooooooooooooooooooooooo when I find my own '61 Junkyard Gem I'm gonna do the silver tail panel. Hope you don't mind me thieving your idea...
Old January 1st, 2009, 07:19 PM

That's the same car the Man from U.N.C.L.E. drove Nice find and good job so far.
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:10 PM
Rocket Veteran

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
It is really nice to see that many Oldsmobiles in one yard. Thanks for the pictures.
It would be even nicer to see them find homes and get running like this 61 has....I need a bigger garage!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:27 PM

All of those Oldsmobiles are for sale. The guy is really nice and will deal .
Old January 25th, 2009, 12:26 AM

Well, I finally got the Olds back in the shop, I had to do some work on my Firebird. I pulled the crossover pipe off and found some large holes. I also broke off only 1 stud so I pulled the ds exhaust manifold off. Right now I'm looking at making a new crossover pipe out of my old one and one off a Pontiac that I have. Thats the cheapest way. Time to break out that Lincoln Mig welder thats been gather dust since the Roadrunner got done. Or I may have one made, but then I have to haul the car to the guy . Or call Joel and get a dual exhaust manifold for a 394. Which ever way I go, it will take time and or money. Going to the Turlock Swap meet and look around tomorrow and maybe find some spot lights. Oh, the posi works.

Old February 1st, 2009, 12:32 AM

Heres what I've been doing lately: Made a new crossover pipe, NO leaks at all,(found a new one for 73.00,no budget ) tightened and replace all the rear crossmember bolts. R&R one front shock to measure, still works good, installed an AHH OOO GAA horn since the stock ones didn't work, fabricated some floor hole covers out of galvanized, got the brake lights working and installed some spotlights. Test drove it and I can't believe the difference . It's quiet and shifts solid now. Also scored some period correct accessories from a friend of mine, made in USA cooler and thermos.

Last edited by NAS Backyard; February 1st, 2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old February 1st, 2009, 04:29 AM

Those floor plugs look like they may have been hand made, if so real nice tin knocking skills. Two big thumbs up! ps I liked the silver idea in the tail panel, may be next time try that chrome in a can stuff?
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:16 AM

It's been running really good now that I can hear everything. Had a close call with a car stopping in front of me for an Ambulance. Layed it side ways in the street. No harm done , scared the crap out of my GF. Brakes work good but need an adjustment.
Decided to pull out the heater and check it out. Looks like it has a junkyard core in it that no one ever hooked up. Took it all apart and cleaned everything up. Found a decent match on the paint at the local chain store. Leaked checked the core, checks good but has a small plate rattling around in it.? Made a gasket and sealed the box. Heater switch works but still have some issues with the cables and vacuum lines. It works but that 4 core radiator really takes awhile for this beast to get up to temp. I hooked my hoses up backwards because i wanted the return to be pushing that loose plate so it wouldn't be blocking flow. This has the standard no frills heater in it.

Total investment out of pocket, 7.00 for the blue paint.
Old February 9th, 2009, 08:09 AM

Looking better and better all of the time. Like those low cost solutions.
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:02 PM

very nice

on board late here - just found this thread. Way cool ride! As a mechanical non-expert I woulda looked at that car in the guy's yard (and WHAT a yard!) and kept walking after looking under the hood. Woulda figured it was siezed and otherwise FUBARed. Who knew it would run with that amount of effort.

I always liked the 61 models. And the 2 dr post is so unique! Funny though - I bought a 66 D88 in St. Paul and see no rust in the floors, but the frame is crusty (but solid). I keep seeing others with just the opposite. I am hoping to do the same magic on my frame that you did on your floor. Too bad the bottom 3 inches of every body panel are shot...

If I had any say - just keep it like it is. That's how I am doing my 66 - get it safe, running smartly, and smooth the rough edges.

One of the coolest cars yet on the site. If not just for the style, but for the substance you have behind it. I will be following your build.
Old February 12th, 2009, 01:20 PM

wicked............

wow what a find, read the thread just today, very inspiring... I too wish there was a junkyard like that here on the east cost...

I also like gearheads idea of the superstocker...

the low buck approach is great!!! KEEP THE PICS COMING....
Old February 13th, 2009, 05:15 AM

Heres a little cosmetics, not as profound as the silver tail panel. Really shows off the tiny tires in the back. These are just rollers that came on the car. I'm going to put some 225/70-14's on it someday.

I also tried to get the heater to warm up but no luck, I have to pull the intake manifold to remove the heater control valve.
Old February 13th, 2009, 08:20 AM

Looking good. Is the control valve tucked behind the intake manifold, sounds like it. Have fun
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:08 AM

After pulling off the intake i found that I could have removed the heater control valve by removing 2 bolts, I needed to break the distributor shaft free anyway. Also hand "machined" the thermostat housing. Got it all back together and it's alot warmer but not hot, hot. The valve was bad. Then I set the timing and took it for a midnight ride.

Intake gaskets ARE reusable

Hand finished

So are thermostats

I think I like the white wheels
Old February 14th, 2009, 08:53 AM

Well, you got a chance to look at the valley, doesn't look bad for all of the time it set in the yard. A little heat is better then none. I like the white wheels too. Comming along nicley. The body style grows on a person. I like it.
Old February 14th, 2009, 09:32 AM

Actually i had the intake off to clean all the nests out of the intake ports and there was about 2 lbs. of doo doo on there.
Old February 14th, 2009, 02:01 PM

Sitll and all it is amazing that you were able to bring it back to life despite the doo doo. Its been a hoot watching your low buck build. Great results, keep up the good work.
Old February 14th, 2009, 03:21 PM

Great work! I love stories of cars returning from the dead.
Old February 15th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Toro68

Great story!

Old February 15th, 2009, 07:54 PM
GM Enthusiast

I like the white wheels too. Keep the updates coming.
Old February 16th, 2009, 10:57 AM

Decided to clean up the original beauty rings and see what they look like on the car. There was also some wheel slot covers on them from the factory to make the wheel look solid. I'm going to install them when i get them painted.
Old February 16th, 2009, 05:01 PM

Talking

Ok! I said I would post a couple of shots of my 61 about a month ago and I just got around to it. Here goes! Factory 394 and automatic. I am in the process of installing power windows because the tracks for all the glass on this car were rotted away. I have to finish the interior and I have a set of stainless lake Pipes for the beast! and I am sorry, I know it needs a bath but it hasen't been moved in about 3 months, just stored. COME ON SPRING!
Attached Images
HPIM0873.jpg (80.7 KB, 170 views)
HPIM0874.jpg (74.7 KB, 122 views)
HPIM0875.jpg (89.7 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by 44TEETWO; February 16th, 2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old February 16th, 2009, 07:05 PM

wheels????

44TEETWO - You rockin' the Radirs or Astro Supremes that cool '61?

Quick Reply: Brought a 61 Olds back from the dead out of a junkyard