Brought a 61 Olds back from the dead out of a junkyard

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2008, 11:41 PM

Gutted out the rest of the interior, I guess that cool rubber/carpet floor covering from the factory had it's disavantages. RR floor is a little thin but still holds weight. I'm going to wire wheel it and use www.rustbullet.com on it, top and bottom. I saw some cheesy floor pans on e-bay, what a joke for 50.00 a side, but I quess they are better than a big hole.
Old November 24th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Past Administrator

Your car is looking great, good idea to do up the brakes and that is a good deal. Too bad about the floor board area but it looks like it can be repaired. Very nice looking car.
Old November 24th, 2008, 07:25 AM
69CuttyS

Awesome project.
Thanks for all the photos!!
Old November 24th, 2008, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the comments. I don't think I've ever been this excited fixing up a car. Probebly because it's an oddball. Also, My girl friend supports everything I do and encourages me to enjoy it. The Rust Bullet will be here Tues. so I will have it for the weekend. I'm already thinking about making some seat covers with some old wool blankets I have. My friends mother in law has an upolstery machine. This project will be on the low budget level unless its safety or rust repair related. The rust Bullet was 52.00 a qt delivered. Ouch! But it's garanteed for 10 years. Also there is a local car show/swap on Dec. 7th, so I'm going to take the Olds to it's first show. So i need to get busy.
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:24 PM

Thanks for sharing your car and your story. I think it's great. Can you imagine trying to revive one of today's hi-tech cars after sitting out in the elements for 10
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:25 PM

61 body lines are so sharp! great car.
Old November 29th, 2008, 12:38 AM

After about 6-8 hours of wire wheeling and patching and vacuuming, I got the 2 coats of Rust Bullet on. What a job! I'm glad it's over.

Old November 29th, 2008, 03:15 PM

Nice repair job. Now your making the rest of us feel guilty sitting around drinking beer and thinking about working on our cars. Keep the pictures of your project comming reminds the rest of us to get to work
Old November 29th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Past Administrator

Very nice work and it looks so clean and smooth now. I know you are very satisfied with the results. Good work!

edit: Pat, what's wrong with drinking beer???
Old November 30th, 2008, 12:37 AM

Detailed the dash and hooked up the antenna and have a working AM radio. All the wiring under the dash looks really good. Heater will need to come out later for a cleaning and core, it's the low level model, 1 vacuum hose and the rest cables.

Last edited by NAS Backyard; December 7th, 2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old November 30th, 2008, 01:01 AM
I am "74omega" NO SPACE

WOW. That is excellent looking. Man you are right by me I live in Stockton Ca. What local swap meet is coming up Dec-7? I'll bring my jalopy. I usually hit the Turlock ones . In January is the big 2 day event
Old November 30th, 2008, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by 74omega
WOW. That is excellent looking. Man you are right by me I live in Stockton Ca. What local swap meet is coming up Dec-7? I'll bring my jalopy. I usually hit the Turlock ones . In January is the big 2 day event
Stockton Fairgrounds Dec 7th 6am-3pm I'll probebly go to Turlock also and look for some spotlights. If I don't make it with the Olds (got to get the gas tank hooked up) I'll be in a green 69 Plymouth Roadrunner.
Old November 30th, 2008, 05:50 AM

At the rate your going you will finish in time.

Dan, nothing wrong with drinking beer. It kills the stupid brain cells, if you pay attention you will notice that the more beer your drink the smarter you get.
Old December 6th, 2008, 05:10 AM

Got a really nice tank from a friend of mine, it came out of a car I parted out about 10 years ago. Also checked my sending unit and it works. Spent all day on the car, installing new rubber lines in the frame, digging dirt out of the frame, removing the rear shocks, reinstalling the rear shocks (hey did you know they are totally obsolete locally?)installing the tank, installing the grille script and hood latch, putting gas in it.

This is always cool to find on a car (3:08

Last edited by NAS Backyard; December 6th, 2008 at 05:15 AM.
Old December 6th, 2008, 06:09 AM
zed

Posi...cool!
Old December 6th, 2008, 06:33 AM

Posi is a rare find. I just paid over 500 buck for a posi unit for my 57 and it took me 4 months to find one. This graveyard find is turning out to be a jewel. Keep the pictures comming and good luck with the rest of your restoration.
Old December 6th, 2008, 10:12 AM

Thumbs up nice car dude,

Hey that is a nice car and a realy good story, I know how does it feel man, my car looked the same wen I pick it up, my wife told me you can buy it with one condition, you better stop at a car wash and get rid of all the spiders and rats and suchs, so I did and it was a fun experience, what she does not know is that I drove the car in the garage and light one of those bombs to kill all the bugs heheheh, hey guys enjoy working on your cars because I do. I will try to posts some pics later on.
Old December 7th, 2008, 03:15 AM

When the seller realized it was a Posi, i think he wanted to charge me more. I don't think he had ever seen one either. Someone had the axles out and put the left thread axle on the right side. This is the fuel filter/return line is the 1/4". I found out today why this is on there, I just had a regular filter only and it vapor locked after about 8 miles. I went ahead and mounted it along with my inline filter. I need to see if the filters are still available.

Got the grille script and hood latch on last night

Ready to roll in the morning to a small car show and swap meet about 20 miles away (fingers crossed) I have a roll of duct tape and some bailing wire in the trunk, oh, and a fire extinguisher in the front seat!
Old December 7th, 2008, 05:18 PM

I have nothing against the rust & patina look, but THAT car is screaming to be restored into a Super Stocker look-a-like.
All vinyl interior, 4-speed, stock looking 455 with a 3 deuce set-up, and the existing wheels and hubcaps. Or the same style but in 15".
I have a friend that did pretty much that same thing to a 64 F-85, looked awesome and SOOO understated.
Old December 7th, 2008, 06:16 PM

Man that thing is gorgeous! I hope my progress is just as smooth and quick when I get mine home. Did your dash just need a good cleaning or did you have to redo some of it?
Old December 7th, 2008, 10:24 PM
in love with a '71 98

NAS, this is an awesome project you have on your hands! great save. i love the fact that this could have been some sort of old law enforcement car, or something like that. it sounds like youre having a lot of fun with it, which is the way it should be! it sure cleaned up pretty nice, after some elbow grease, especially considering all the time it just sat, almost 20 years!

again, awesome work. this has been a lot of fun to read and follow. keep the progress reports coming!

-Bob
Old December 7th, 2008, 11:42 PM

Well I made the 40 mile round trip with no problems at all. Got alot of complements. It rides really nice. The steering is a tad sloppy though. That transmission takes off in drive and goes strait to high gear in about 50 feet, just like my Starfire did. The dash was just cleaned up, looks way better in the pics than in person. The speedo went out shortly after hooking up the cable.The radio works pretty good though. I could go in almost any direction with this car. But after spending over 30 K on my 69 Roadrunner (from selling a vehicle i owned for 23 years) i think I'll keep this on the low budget and just repair or replace whats needed for now. My bodyman friend wants to paint it. I may do the worst body repairs, Lower left quarter panel and left front fender if anything. I do have a 455/400 under the work bench for future plans. I'm still researching the law enforcement history.

From Junkyard dog to show poodle in less than 60 days

Heres an Olds wagon that was there

For all you Olds Ciera fans:another brother from a different mother,7000.00 could have bought it.

5500.00 for this Cutlass conv.(takes another hit off crack pipe)
Old December 8th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Past Administrator

That ragtop has some potential, the ciera, I can let it go...
Old December 8th, 2008, 05:17 AM
zed

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
That ragtop has some potential, the ciera, I can let it go...
What???? You don't like the wheels??? LOL
Old December 8th, 2008, 07:06 AM

The wheels were stolen from a 1889 Studebaker covered wagon
Old December 8th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by zed
What???? You don't like the wheels??? LOL

too small
Old December 8th, 2008, 09:58 AM
in love with a '71 98

looks like a nice little show. glad you had a good time and recieved no trouble from the 61. i cant wait to find out what you discover about its law enforcement past, as i think that is such a cool detail of the car's history.

-Bob
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:05 PM

I really like your Olds, and that Posi find was as cool as it gets. I would be hesitant to change much on it. It's such a neat looking car as is. I looked it up and it's a pretty low production car too. There were only 4,920 Eighty-Eight two door sedans produced in 61. There were almost 12,000 convertibles and 7800 Starfires. Anyway, congratulations on a great find.
Mike
Old December 11th, 2008, 03:27 PM

Thanks guys. I'm putting it on the back burner for awhile, i need to work on some other projects.I did change the oil again today and added a can of Restore snake oil , can't hurt to try it. Next cosmetic upgrades will be paint the wheels white, install fender skirts, and maybe swap out the tail lights for the Super 88 ones I have. I will keep you posted. I'm driving it to work tonight.
Old December 12th, 2008, 07:25 AM

Junkyard Jewel

Here's a couple pictures of my 61 2dr sedan. One with new carpet I just installed. I removed the rubber floor.
Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
61 Olds 009.jpg (118.4 KB, 215 views)
61 Olds 016.jpg (135.4 KB, 216 views)
61lowered 005.jpg (109.4 KB, 149 views)
61lowered 007.jpg (113.7 KB, 188 views)
61lowered 009.jpg (107.7 KB, 143 views)
Old December 12th, 2008, 07:30 AM

Very nice, I love the body lines of these cars. Great pictures
Old December 12th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Past Administrator

Nice carpet, who did you buy it from?
Old December 12th, 2008, 10:13 AM

This place has nice original stuff.
http://www.autotrimsupply.com/Carpets/
Old December 12th, 2008, 02:11 PM

WOW! Thanks for sharing your car KQQLCAT! I'm truely inspired. Now I have a million questions. But I'll only ask two. Are the door panels original ? NICE!!!!! Engine compartment NICE!!!AC radiator and fan shroud. What is the master cylinder from since I'm real close to doing brakes.
I just got these in the mail today, love or hate, they do ad a new demension to the car and their removable. NOS Foxcraft with new seals and hardware 70.00 delivered from e bay seller biscayne07.

Last edited by NAS Backyard; December 12th, 2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old December 13th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Registered Luser

You westcoast guys make us northeast guys sickWe only get to see mirages like these in those Hemmings calanders(or when you rub it in our faces) The car is a true find and I love the "budget build" you did with it. The only thing is, your budget is about $10,000 less than what Hot Rod would spend. You'll never make it in this business kid...keep the pics and stories coming!
Old December 14th, 2008, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
You westcoast guys make us northeast guys sickWe only get to see mirages like these in those Hemmings calanders(or when you rub it in our faces) The car is a true find and I love the "budget build" you did with it. The only thing is, your budget is about $10,000 less than what Hot Rod would spend. You'll never make it in this business kid...keep the pics and stories coming!
I grew up in KY and I don't miss those truckloads of salt one bit. Everytime I go back I almost have withdrawls. They do take car of their old cars though. After spending way too much on my 69Roadrunner I have no desire to do it again anytime soon.
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:14 PM

Door panels are original. I ordered a dual master cylinder from Rock Auto for a 66 full size cadillac because the ports were on the engine side because there was no room on the other side. The booster is for a 66 Full size olds. The interior is available from SMS http://www.smsautofabrics.com/
Pat
Old December 15th, 2008, 01:53 PM
69CuttyS

Originally Posted by NAS Backyard
....For all you Olds Ciera fans:another brother from a different mother,7000.00 could have bought it.
I'd go for that Cierra, but not for 7K. I'd lose the bicycle wheels, put proper wheels on it, and presto, the perfect winter car. And easy on my back for ingress and egress!
Old December 17th, 2008, 08:42 PM
GM Enthusiast

Congrats on the find! What a concept....junkyard to car show in 2 months. Did you post your total investment in the window at the show? It would have been great to see the jaws drop!

On Long Island, you can't find anything older than 1990 in the yards. Too bad. I always liked going there to see if there was anything worth while. But even when I got into cars in the 80's, I never saw anything as clean as your new ride. Good luck with it.
Old December 18th, 2008, 04:42 AM

Total cost on car so far: for the car, good set of roller tires, a running 74- 455/400turbo,LF fender, headlight assy, 4 core radiator,4 extra drums, front springs, all the missing ***** and trim, spare rear glass tinted, 62 Starfire bucket seat cores, 63 Starfire console with tach,and a cherry set of M/T 455 valve covers. 2100.00 (1500.00 for the car) Gas tank was free from a buddy. Cost to get it driveable: 25.00 for 25' of fuel line, 30.00 for 2 new belts, 7.00 for 2 fuel filters, 10.50 oil, gas. 107.00 DMV. Cap, wires, carb form a Pontiac I had. filters and antifreeze was on the shelf. 179.00 total to get it on the road. and I have 90.00 in brake parts but I still need a set of 160 Front shoes. Right now it's in the front yard and I'm putting Christmas lights on it this weekend. I'll post pics when i get it done. I also got my NOS Unity spotlight bracket today for the driverside that i won off ebay.

Quick Reply: Brought a 61 Olds back from the dead out of a junkyard