Body mount bolts

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2015, 05:06 PM

Body mount bolts

Well its finally time to mount the body back on the chassis. I bought the mounts from Fusick which come with the bolts. But the bolts are not like the original with the point so I got some from Inline Tube which are correct.
The issue I'm having is the assembly manual calls for short and long bolts and both suppliers bolts are all the same length. Has anybody had previous experience with this issue and what did you do.
Old August 14th, 2015, 06:21 PM

I did have an issue with the '66 442
It appeared they sent Chevelle bolts or something, never bothered to check if what they sold was correct. Not sure which vendor. Anyhow, after putting the pretty new bolts in place I noticed the one just aft of the front seat had gone up too far and dented the floor sheet metal. Pulled it out, compared to original, yep too long. Pur OEM ones back in except the two that had to be sacrificed. Guess what? The fit and worked right.

CA car, so not always possible.

When possible, just re-use the OEM stuff. New is not necessarily better.
Old August 14th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Administrator

A point is not necessary if you have some shorter ones use them. If the originals are still good even better.
Old August 15th, 2015, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by 70convert
Well its finally time to mount the body back on the chassis. I bought the mounts from Fusick which come with the bolts. But the bolts are not like the original with the point so I got some from Inline Tube which are correct.
The issue I'm having is the assembly manual calls for short and long bolts and both suppliers bolts are all the same length. Has anybody had previous experience with this issue and what did you do.
while it's not the bolts, I do know the very front body mount nuts ILT lists in their catalog are not correct for Lansing cars. Lansing cars have a hex nut, they sell/list a square nut. My catalog is a couple years old though, so unsure if this has been corrected/amended.
Old August 15th, 2015, 08:10 AM

unfortunately i cant use the originals some were to far gone and since it was the only thing I didn't do myself they are gone ( lesson learned ). I tagged and bagged every other part when i started. Just wasn't sure if the shorter bolts are required as marked in the assembly manual so they wouldn't come through position 3,4 and 7. maybe just being to **** about it as usual.