'72 Cutlass Supreme (442?) Convertible

Old April 11th, 2017, 12:21 PM

Nice work

Originally Posted by cdrod View Post
The bearing spacer fits around the axle inside the backing plate. Here's the finished product.

Without the bearing spacer.

Bearing spacer installed.

With rotor and caliper mounted.
Old April 11th, 2017, 12:25 PM

Nice work

Thank thank you for your response I do know the blazer rotor has a different offset and deeper thank the camaro so may go and pick up blazer set up also and see which works best for me once again thank you and good job

Originally Posted by cdrod View Post
The bearing spacer fits around the axle inside the backing plate. Here's the finished product.

Without the bearing spacer.

Bearing spacer installed.

With rotor and caliper mounted.
Old April 11th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Rodney

Olds442Toro:
There are 2 different OEM rotors for the Blazer rear discs (a 2WD and a 4WD version) both have the same diameter and thickness, but IIRC the 4WD rotor has a deeper "hat" section requiring a greater offset. I forget which one I used, probably the 2WD rotor - see the attached pdf files. Good luck.
Old April 12th, 2017, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
Interesting note. I am running the same front and rear brake set up on mine with a drum brake dual master cylinder and booster. I have not added a proportioning valve as of yet. It stops extremely well and under lock up applications bias is just about perfect.
P.S I also have the Bandit wheels on mine as well. They look great and are one of the few options that fit over the corvette front brakes.

The balance of dual drum and dual disc masters are the same. The only potential issue is the residual valve. Most drum masters have a 10psi residual valve build into the master. On drums, this keeps the drum cylinder seals slightly pressurized, which is necessary because of how they're built. Otherwise they'll leak. But the springs keep the shoes off the drum. On disc, this will keep the calipers very slightly engaged, leading to fast pad wear.

The other bit of the brake system is the prop valve. If the discs/pads/calipers are sized just right, then a prop valve isn't necessary. Note that combo/prop valves for rear drums have other goodies - metering and hold-off stuff - which are very bad in a rear disc configuration. A straight distribution block is just fine for disc/disc though.
Old April 12th, 2017, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by oddball View Post
The balance of dual drum and dual disc masters are the same. The only potential issue is the residual valve. Most drum masters have a 10psi residual valve build into the master. On drums, this keeps the drum cylinder seals slightly pressurized, which is necessary because of how they're built. Otherwise they'll leak. But the springs keep the shoes off the drum. On disc, this will keep the calipers very slightly engaged, leading to fast pad wear.

The other bit of the brake system is the prop valve. If the discs/pads/calipers are sized just right, then a prop valve isn't necessary. Note that combo/prop valves for rear drums have other goodies - metering and hold-off stuff - which are very bad in a rear disc configuration. A straight distribution block is just fine for disc/disc though.
what did you do to keep the bearing and seal in place on yours in rear or did you have C clip axles?? That will be my main hurdle with the bolt in olds axles
Old February 28th, 2018, 05:30 AM

hows it going

Its been a while
looking forward to some post
thanks for what you have given

Kelly
Old February 28th, 2018, 07:26 AM

Update sorry itís been a while

Originally Posted by ropewrench View Post
Its been a while
looking forward to some post
thanks for what you have given

Kelly
sorry guys been crazy lately not much time to work on the 442 BUT have made some progress. And also in process of building a rotisserie for it once all the pans are replaced New firewall in!!!!!!
Old February 28th, 2018, 05:33 PM

Nice work
it is looking fantastic
I hope to get mine on the road this summer
Old February 28th, 2018, 05:41 PM

Cdrod
if you get in a jam and need a hand I live on the north side off of 59