72 Convertible 442 Clone

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2014, 07:39 PM

Hmmm...looks like I was off by a month. It's actually on April 26th. Little more time for fine-tuning.
Old February 11th, 2014, 10:27 PM

Car is looking awesome. Congrats on sticking with it and your ideas on the insulation. Dynamat is ridiculously expensive for what it is - reminds me of ARP bolts.

Last edited by costpenn; February 11th, 2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old February 12th, 2014, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by scott_442
Hmmm...looks like I was off by a month. It's actually on April 26th. Little more time for fine-tuning.
actually I am glad to have the extra time. Looks like I am going to need it. Got the seat in yesterday and the rally PAC gauges in today. Ran some juice through the wires just for kicks. Looks like I have some demons to exorcise. How is your ride coming?
Old February 12th, 2014, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by costpenn
Car is looking awesome. Congrats on sticking with it and your ideas on the insulation. Dynamat is ridiculously expensive for what it is - reminds me of ARP bolts.
Thanks for the kind comments Joe. After seeing the work you are doing I am humbled. It is hard to find the value in the Dynamat especially in a convertible. I was basically looking at the thermal barrier qualities of this product but am sure the noise will come down as well.
Old February 12th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Rodney

Originally Posted by Sampson
It is hard to find the value in the Dynamat especially in a convertible. I was basically looking at the thermal barrier qualities of this product but am sure the noise will come down as well.
Steve:
Noise is accumulative, so every little bit helps! I think you'll be surprised at the results from doing just the floor and doors, even if you can't do the roof - LOL. You're about 12 months ahead of the timeline for my car. I like to read thread that are farther along than I am (like yours) to keep me pumped up for what's yet to come on my project. Keep up the good work!

Rodney
Old March 7th, 2014, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by cdrod
Steve:
Noise is accumulative, so every little bit helps! I think you'll be surprised at the results from doing just the floor and doors, even if you can't do the roof - LOL. You're about 12 months ahead of the timeline for my car. I like to read thread that are farther along than I am (like yours) to keep me pumped up for what's yet to come on my project. Keep up the good work!

Rodney
Thanks Rodney, I have been following your build as well and you are making amazing progress. That is going to be a nice save.
Old March 7th, 2014, 03:53 PM

Time to Fire the Rocket. I hope

Tomorrow could be a memorable day in this project. I hope to fire this baby up and breath some life in it again. I have been at the point where I could have started it for several weeks but have gotten side tracked on a lot of little loose ends. I had a couple of electrical gremlins that had to be exorcised. I got most of the interior back installed as well as all the window regulators and glass. A ton of little details that you think will take 10 minutes that you end up spending 2 hours on to get completed. This is the stage of the job that $ 20.00's you to death. Anyway, got the fluids topped off tonight. Checked that the distributor is firing and timed. Will prime the oil pump tomorrow and hit the key.
Old March 30th, 2014, 03:21 PM

It lives! It's alive.

Ok it's been a couple weeks since I stated I would fire the beast up. A couple of setbacks. When I went to start it the next day there was coolant all over the floor. Seems the radiator didn't appreciate being neglected and decided it needed some attention. Also some leakage from the back of the power steering pump. 2 steps forward one step back. Finally got the radiator back this week with a new core and me $400.00 lighter. Had to fiddle with the timing a bit but she fired right up and settled into a nice 2500 rpm hum for 30 minutes. Had to shut things down about with about 5 minutes runtime because of a faulty themostat. What is it with new parts? This was a big day!
Old March 30th, 2014, 04:14 PM

Ok it's been a couple weeks since I stated I would fire the beast up. A couple of setbacks. When I went to start it the next day there was coolant all over the floor. Seems the radiator didn't appreciate being neglected and decided it needed some attention. Also some leakage from the back of the power steering pump. 2 steps forward one step back. Finally got the radiator back this week with a new core and me $400.00 lighter. Had to fiddle with the timing a bit but she fired right up and settled into a nice 2500 rpm hum for 30 minutes. Had to shut things down about with about 5 minutes runtime because of a faulty themostat. What is it with new parts? This was a big day!

Congratulations. Big milestone!!!!
Old March 30th, 2014, 04:29 PM
wait.... what....

Congrats on firing her up! I'm looking forward to hearing mine someday lol
Old March 31st, 2014, 05:58 AM

Congrats, big day indeed....
Old April 5th, 2014, 04:37 PM

Look what came out to play

Been working hard taking care of all the little things: timing, leaks, some electrical gremlins and such all week. Thère are so many final details to get adjusted just right. But today my girl saw the light of day for the first time in 15 months. WOW what a feeling! Still some details to take of. Drove through the subdivision today. Hope to go into town on a test drive tomorrow!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Sampson; April 5th, 2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old April 6th, 2014, 05:56 AM

Nice work

Sampson,
Fantastic work on the 442. When and where is the car show in April? Maybe we can meet there.
Old April 6th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Car looks awesome! Congrats!
Old April 6th, 2014, 05:20 PM

[QUOTE=sixty9olds;679968]Sampson,
Fantastic work on the 442. When and where is the car show in April? Maybe we can meet there.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Sixty9olds. The show Scott and I are talking about is 4/26 @ lake Wheeler in Raleigh. I probably will not enter the car but will be driving it there. Here is a link to the show details. I went a couple years ago and there were some really nice cars there. Hope you can make it!

fun in the sun car show – raleigh - tarheel tigers pontiac car club
http://www.tarheeltigers.org/THTWP/?...the...car-show...
When: April 26, 2014 @ 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM ... 6404 Lake Wheeler Road,Raleigh, NC
Old April 6th, 2014, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by sammy
Car looks awesome! Congrats!
Thanks Ted! Lots of sweat and beer to get to this point. It sure felt good to get it out in the sun. How is Sammy's Save coming?

Last edited by Sampson; April 7th, 2014 at 04:23 AM.
Old April 6th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Thanks Ted! Lots of sweat and beer to get to this point. It sure felt good to get it our in the sun. How is Sammy's Save coming?
The car will HOPEFULLY be in the paint booth in the next couple of weeks