70 442 W-30... restoration

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2013, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Sorry Dave, but I beg to differ. My 1972 Cutlass S (Lansing Fisher build date - 1st week of April 1972) came equipped with a solid cardboard parcel shelf.

No laughs from me! I found that out exactly the same way. Just pulled a dash at the bone yard recently and realized what you did AFTER I got it out.

That upper left side post caused me some worry (access) until I found out it was not fastened with a nut on the post. Coming along nicely Eric. BTW, why aren't you using the powder coated sway bar?

Allan, I am very glad to see you back. I am going to go with a cast iron grey for the sway bar I think. I took the 2 sway bars and rear end housing to the powdercoater with the frame. after I got them back i realized I had not planned to do those parts. I have no idea what I was thinking when I took them. I was going to paint it like this. Now that the rear end is powder coated I am going to use it this way. I would like the bottom of the car to look like it would have before the black out process and not black it out. I am not a professional so it would not likely be exactly right anyway.

Old July 21st, 2013, 10:16 AM

Pulled the A/C box and the remaining parts from under the dash. Still need to pull the A/C parts from the kick panel area.

I had no idea that the rear speaker wire went behind the firewall insulation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_2990.jpg (75.8 KB, 259 views)
100_2985.jpg (53.1 KB, 234 views)
100_2986.jpg (40.0 KB, 227 views)
Old July 21st, 2013, 10:52 AM

AllanR: I stand corrected! Got to thinking about it more and you are right.
Old July 21st, 2013, 02:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I had no idea that the rear speaker wire went behind the firewall insulation.
So does the rear defog wiring (purple) and that grey fisher lead for the lighted mirror option (just the mirror option lead runs above the fuse box. That wide black reinforced tape works really well BTW - it's a beeatch to get loose sometimes. Likely they thought the thick jute under the carpet and firewall insulation would protect the wire from any of the stompin Tom's riding shotgun?

I was also surprised to see that where it comes through the rear body there was no protective grommet or insulation to prevent chaffing on the raw metal.
Old July 24th, 2013, 04:09 AM

Eric,

Did your W30 have the sound deadener mats under all the carpet? I see it under the rear seat in one of your photos. Can some enlighten me as to what materials were left off of W30 and W31 cars?

Thanks
Old July 24th, 2013, 06:52 AM

That is a good question? I have stripped many cars and even had several W-30s apart over the years and never could tell a difference in the sound deadener or any seam sealer or anything. Most of the W-30s I ever had apart were A/C cars so maybe that has something to do with it. The insulation panel behind the back seat was not there on this car but I have also seen a couple original cutlass's that never had one.
Old July 24th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Interesting topic. My 72 only had jute back insulation under the carpet and sound insulation on the firewall. There was no sound deadener under the headliner or behind the rear seat. Kind of wondered why since it really doesn't take that long to install and it really makes a difference in acoustics in the car.
Old July 24th, 2013, 06:16 PM

So Eric I gather you had the mastic insulation under all of your carpet. But Allen didn't in his '72. I asked earlier if you had the factory undercoating in your rear wheel wells. I forget what you told us, I have to look back through this thread. So except for the cardboard absent behind the rear seat, what is the "reduced sound deadener" the factory states in the '70 W-machine brochure?

I'm working on a W31 but it has been worked on by people before me so I can't really trust it as a reference.
Old July 28th, 2013, 06:44 PM

I think Kurt (w_machine) would be better to answer that. I am sure there is a defferance but I can't really tell what it is. This car was never under coated.
Old July 28th, 2013, 06:50 PM

Level one restorations was looking at the Jetfire and we got talking about this car. I think they have talked me into leaving this as a stripe delete car for a while after I get it done. The stripes will be over the top of the clear anyway so i can add them later. If the price is not to bad I will likely have them put the stripes on for me when I decide to do them. I have decided for sure what color the stripes will be. I have been on the fence on this for a while but made the decision for sure last night. They will be blue.
Old July 29th, 2013, 04:53 AM

As far as I know only W-31 s did no have undercoating in the rear quarter inner wheel well! To confirm, my "Brass Hat" 70' F-85 W-31 that I saw built both at Fisher and Lansing, and my current 70' F85 W-31, both did not have undercoating.
Old July 29th, 2013, 04:36 PM

Thanks Dave for that insight. Was there any other sound deadening materials that were deleted?

Eric--Dark blue with lighter blue stripes sounds great. I've seen pin-striped cars with that combination and I really liked it.
Old July 29th, 2013, 05:01 PM

More parts came in today. I sent the steering gear and pump to http://www.powersteering.com/ to be rebuild/restored. I got it rebuilt to the original ratio. I didn't want to upgrade anything here. I would like this car to handle like it did originally. I like the one finger steering.

also got the timing set today. Thanks to Mark (cutlassefi)
Attached Images
100_3028.jpg (78.3 KB, 215 views)
Old August 10th, 2013, 06:32 PM

I got a little more done today. Back brakes are on and rear end is in.
Attached Images
100_3126.jpg (79.2 KB, 260 views)
100_3141.jpg (71.3 KB, 269 views)
100_3166.jpg (69.7 KB, 278 views)
Old October 4th, 2013, 07:42 PM

Lots of delays...... I am taking the engine and parts to the machine shop in the morning to be squared machined and balanced. I love assembling engines but he said when he squares/blueprints an engine he only charges $175 to assemble the short block. I am still not sure if i will have him do it or not. Hard not to let him do it for only $175.
Old October 5th, 2013, 06:37 PM

The engine parts are at the machine shop and I stopped at the body guys shop today. I told the body guy I was ready to be put on his list. He should be ready for me by the end of the year.

He showed me 2 paint jobs while I was there. One was a "like factory" paint job and the other was a top of the line paint job. I know it won't be "correct" but I think I am going to go with the smoother high end job.
Old October 8th, 2013, 05:37 PM

Working on the windshield wiper motor and got the booster and other gold cad parts back. I don't like how the wiper motor is turning out. I think I am going to send the bottom motor cap off to be silver cad plated.

The booster came back and not sure i like it. I didn't think the pitting was as bad as it is. after the plating it looks pretty bad. To late now. I am not sure if I will use it or not. It is original to the car but I may consider another option.
Attached Images
100_3489.jpg (72.7 KB, 250 views)
100_3484.jpg (94.7 KB, 265 views)
Old October 8th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Registered Luser

Wow Eric! I have fallen behind here on your thread....looks great, and good choice having the frame powder coated! Keep up the good work but slow down.....you are catching up to me! I agree with you on the booster and mc cap.....
Old October 9th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

The WW motor looks just fine; maybe just spray some semi gloss clear over it and call it done. Not sure why you plated the shift linkage though?? If you have another brake booster without pitting, that could be a candidate for a rebuild/plate. It all depends on whether you're going for show condition. If not, I'd put the original back in and call it 'aged'... Most of the pitting will be hidden by the MC anyway, except for that upper left section. Most peeps aren't going to notice it IMO
Old October 9th, 2013, 12:21 PM

Eric,

Did you rebuild the diff on your own? It looks finger lickin' good.

I'm working with Jim on figuring out a Posi for my cutlass and i plan on doing the rebuild myself over the winter.
Old October 9th, 2013, 12:30 PM

Not sure why you plated the shift linkage though??
I have seen many of these linkages that were gold cad. Most of them were on 72 model years. This one was on this car and after I cleaned the dirt off I could tell it was gold in some spots. The rod going to the column was painted on most cars I have taken apart.

I am close to a year from needing the booster so i will think about what i am doing with it. With shipping and plating it will be $200 to do another one. I hate to skimp on this with it being such a visible part. Maybe I will put it on the Rallye 350 or sell it and do another one for this car?
Old October 9th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I have seen many of these linkages that were gold cad. Most of them were on 72 model years. This one was on this car and after I cleaned the dirt off I could tell it was gold in some spots. The rod going to the column was painted on most cars I have taken apart.
Interesting, that's why I asked. My 72 wasn't gold, it was painted black. When I blasted it I decided to just clear it because I liked the look. Also did the starter brace and positive battery clamp tube & attaching bracket at the same time.
Old October 9th, 2013, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Eric,

Did you rebuild the diff on your own? It looks finger lickin' good.

I'm working with Jim on figuring out a Posi for my cutlass and i plan on doing the rebuild myself over the winter.
Thanks,

I done most of it. I took it apart, cleaned and had it powder coated. I had a local guy press the bearings and set the pinion and carrier. After that I put it all together and painted the parts.
Old October 9th, 2013, 04:27 PM

Interesting, that's why I asked. My 72 wasn't gold, it was painted black. When I blasted it I decided to just clear it because I liked the look. Also did the starter brace and positive battery clamp tube & attaching bracket at the same time.
Most cars i take apart have some thick paint on spots of them. (I am assuming from the black out process) When I clean that thick stuff off, many times I can see some gold. Don't to often see any gold in the weathered areas of the linkage.
Old October 10th, 2013, 05:29 AM

I am close to a year from needing the booster so i will think about what i am doing with it. With shipping and plating it will be $200 to do another one. I hate to skimp on this with it being such a visible part. Maybe I will put it on the Rallye 350 or sell it and do another one for this car?
I had one done and it was pitted, couldnt use it. I found a guy on ebay in Canada that sold really nice replated units. Bought one and its perfect.
Old October 10th, 2013, 07:09 AM

Now i want a W-30,

Or maybe a rallye 350 since i know my way around a 350 pretty well now.

Thanks alot guys... lol
Old October 10th, 2013, 07:13 AM

More parts came in today. I sent the steering gear and pump to http://www.powersteering.com/ to be rebuild/restored. I got it rebuilt to the original ratio. I didn't want to upgrade anything here. I would like this car to handle like it did originally. I like the one finger steering.

also got the timing set today. Thanks to Mark (cutlassefi)
that's the EXACT timing set i bought, it's awesome.

Lined up the dots, degreed the cam, BOOM, perfect timing.
Old October 11th, 2013, 05:32 PM

Starting to have some things come together so i can work on it again. Greg from Sparky's carb service called and he is sending me a large amount of my bolts back that he has done. What he is sending me will allow me to get the front suspension done and most of the chassis.

My transmission guy called and said he had my transmission done. They soda blasted it and was able to keep most of the factory markings on the case. I am not going to repaint the markings. All the paint is gone from the OW tag but most of it was gone to begin with. At least the stamping on the tag is still good and original.
Attached Images
100_3506.jpg (69.6 KB, 213 views)
100_3520.jpg (61.8 KB, 212 views)
Old October 11th, 2013, 06:30 PM

Unhappy

Most cars i take apart have some thick paint on spots of them. (I am assuming from the black out process) When I clean that thick stuff off, many times I can see some gold. Don't to often see any gold in the weathered areas of the linkage.
Curious as to how consistent the factory was on this. When I got my 442 there was no backdrive linkage. I was fortunate to come across two '70 donor cars at that point of my restoration, neither of those were cad plated and had no evidence of ever being painted. I did paint the first one but after I got the second I decided to vat it and install it natural finish. Will my car be mocked for this oversight?
Old October 11th, 2013, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by brddg
Will my car be mocked for this oversight?
Not likely. I am not sure you would even have trouble at a National event for it. Only reason Mine went back to gold was because the guy that did the booster only charged me $10 to do the linkage and metering valve bracket.

On the other hand, I have never seen a 4 speed back drive or shifter linkage that was gold from the factory. I see most repop linkages are gold and I know I have had three 4 speed cars that were not gold originally.

Last edited by jensenracing77; October 11th, 2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old October 11th, 2013, 07:14 PM

And now that I think of it one of the donor cars had a white pivot bushing while the next one had a black pivot bushing!? Maybe it is fortunate that we don't actually have "rubber stamped" cars......
Old October 12th, 2013, 10:22 AM

The backdrive linkage on my '72 4-speed was NOT gold cad. And......for what it is worth, the "new" boosters that all of the parts houses offer are JUNK. They may work as intended, but they look like CRAP in my opinion. I see many high-dollar cars with the cheap imported boosters and shake my head. The little "triangles" on the originals are not as "cleanly" pressed as the "Mickey Mouse" ones. Take a look on eBay at some of the "restored" cars, and then compare those boosters to an original----you will see what I mean.
Eric, IMO, I'd rather see a perfect one on your "W", but a replated pitted original is lightyears ahead of a cheap one. Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!
Old October 12th, 2013, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
Eric, IMO, I'd rather see a perfect one on your "W", but a replated pitted original is lightyears ahead of a cheap one. Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!
I have decided to put this one on my Rallye 350 and send him another one. I dug through a pile of them today and found a nice one. I wonder how hard it is to take the cover off? The back part is the part that has the date on it. I could put a nice front on this correct dated rear section. I typically would not be worried about date codes but this car was still intact enough that it had almost all it's original parts still on it. I hate to mess that up now.
Old October 12th, 2013, 02:50 PM

From looking at the assembly manual there was/is a tool to use to get them open.
Old October 12th, 2013, 04:40 PM

Your thread is a year old now. Happy aniversary!
Old October 12th, 2013, 05:26 PM

I know they can be rebuilt----somehow. I have a pit-free one myself, but not looking to get rid of it. Hey Eric......still looking for the "right" Rallye 350 should you see one.
Old October 12th, 2013, 05:33 PM

I have decided to put this one on my Rallye 350 and send him another one. I dug through a pile of them today and found a nice one. I wonder how hard it is to take the cover off? The back part is the part that has the date on it. I could put a nice front on this correct dated rear section. I typically would not be worried about date codes but this car was still intact enough that it had almost all it's original parts still on it. I hate to mess that up now.
Maybe have the guy you are sending it to take the back off the first one and put it on the nice one you found. Since your car is apart now it makes sense to me to go with an original. But I admit even though my original is stored away you can't beat the quick inexpensive conveninece of a repo. When my booster went out it meant either waiting 3-5 weeks to get rebuilt or 2 days and $110 bucks to get it back on the road.
Old October 12th, 2013, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
Hey Eric......still looking for the "right" Rallye 350 should you see one.
I will likely have to sell mine in time. I don't plan to sell this W-30 but there is a guy that said he will make me an offer on it after it is done. I told him it is not for sale. He can afford ANYTHING he wants so if he gets silly I will sell the W-30 and keep the Rallye. He would have to get VERY silly for me to let it go) If he don't get the W-30 then the Rallye will have to go even if my girls don't want me to. I have been doing some work on it to have it ready to sell if i do. When and if I make the decision to sell the Rallye I will likely try to move it fast enough to not change my mind.
Old October 12th, 2013, 07:04 PM

what do restored rallye's go for now-a-days?
Old October 12th, 2013, 07:08 PM
MOTORHEAD

hey mister eric
nice

try to keep the beast as original

Quick Reply: 70 442 W-30... restoration