'69 H/O Project

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2019, 02:59 PM
Olds Fanatic

Tom,
Fantastic job! I look forward to seeing it in Indiana next week.

Dino
Old July 9th, 2019, 03:43 PM

It looks beautiful Tom, and at a lightning fast pace!! I wish I had the funding/time to make mine progress as efficiently. I am in the process of solving the funding issue currently though. Regarding the concerns of driving it,... insure it appropriately and enjoy it as intended unless your intentions are to sell. Otherwise the expense and effort of the restoration would be a waste.
Old July 9th, 2019, 06:46 PM

Tom, it looks awesome period. You must have set a record for the fastest quality restoration of an Olds ever! Great job.

That glove box door can be adjusted a lot of different ways to get it to line up with the dash bezel a liitle better. It is a lot of trial and error, and put some tape on the dash itself to protect the paint as you dial it in.

Again awesome - can't wait to see it in person.
Old July 9th, 2019, 09:10 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Tom, it is outstanding and one of my favorite Oldsmobiles. I am anxious to see it. Great job.
Old July 10th, 2019, 09:41 AM

Gorgeous car, drive it like you stole it.
Old July 10th, 2019, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by 69 Hurst
Tom,
Fantastic job! I look forward to seeing it in Indiana next week.

Dino
Thanks Dino. Looking forward to Indy as well. Hoping for good weather. Especially on track day.
Old July 10th, 2019, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
It looks beautiful Tom, and at a lightning fast pace!! I wish I had the funding/time to make mine progress as efficiently. I am in the process of solving the funding issue currently though. Regarding the concerns of driving it,... insure it appropriately and enjoy it as intended unless your intentions are to sell. Otherwise the expense and effort of the restoration would be a waste.
Thanks.
Yes, my pocketbook is definitely feeling the strain.
I adjusted my collector car insurance coverage about 20 minutes ago. So I have some peace of mind now.
The pace of the project was aided by a good overall candidate to start with (powertrain, body, frame and interior).
Various resources, parts and services basically fell into place at key points. A lot of that was due to the help of CO members.
We (restoration guy and I) tentatively planned completion in time for the H/OCA event at Indy next wk. Somehow it looks like it's happening.
I appreciate your help along the way.

Last edited by Tom Bilse; July 10th, 2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old July 10th, 2019, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by costpenn
Tom, it looks awesome period. You must have set a record for the fastest quality restoration of an Olds ever! Great job.

That glove box door can be adjusted a lot of different ways to get it to line up with the dash bezel a liitle better. It is a lot of trial and error, and put some tape on the dash itself to protect the paint as you dial it in.

Again awesome - can't wait to see it in person.
Thanks Joe and thanks for your help during the project.
Thanks for the tip on the glove box door. Also, for whatever reason, the cigarette lighter flip lid likes to ride up/open, as in my photo. It closes ok, but doesn't like to stay that way over time.
It's interesting I've not actually sat in the car for probably 8 years. During the project, only the restoration guys have been in it. I kind of miss looking over the hood from the driver's seat.
In trying to get the car done before next week, there are some detail items here and there that will need to be tweaked. I should be able to learn a lot at the H/OCA event next week.
Old July 10th, 2019, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Tom, it is outstanding and one of my favorite Oldsmobiles. I am anxious to see it. Great job.
Thanks for your help at various times during the project.
Old July 10th, 2019, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Don R.
Gorgeous car, drive it like you stole it.
Thanks Don, and thanks for your input during the build.
It's likely the first time I'll be driving the car will be at the Indy track next week. With all the other H/O's there, I'll at least take it easy at that time. :-)
Old July 11th, 2019, 08:12 PM

Shines like it's made out of glass!!! Looks great, looking forward to meeting you again and now your car next week in Indy!
Old July 12th, 2019, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by 1969Hurst
Shines like it's made out of glass!!! Looks great, looking forward to meeting you again and now your car next week in Indy!
Jeff,
Though I've done so in a personal text, I wanted to thank you here for all the help you've provided.
Last November when my brother and I visited you now seems like 5 years ago. What a gorgeous day that was. I still have all the photos I took of your H/O.
With your help, I've learned a lot and have referenced your website plenty.
See you at Indy.
Old July 12th, 2019, 03:49 PM
Old School Olds

Nice work Tom, and in record time. Congrats!
Old July 13th, 2019, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Nice work Tom, and in record time. Congrats!
Thanks, and thanks for your help and encouragement during the project.
Due to an auto accident I was in, I didn't make it down to your neck of the woods to visit in the spring. Maybe this fall sometime.
Old July 13th, 2019, 10:46 AM

Tom, taking a one day trip up to Indianapolis next Saturday. See you there.
Old July 14th, 2019, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by costpenn
Tom, taking a one day trip up to Indianapolis next Saturday. See you there.
Great, Joe.
Thanks for your help with the project as well.
Old July 23rd, 2019, 12:15 PM

H/OCA Indy Event

My restoration guy and I trailered the H/O to Indy for the H/OCA event this past weekend.
We both had a great time, which would not have been possible without the help of many CO members, some of whom I met there.
I enjoyed seeing/conversing with Dino B (and Art), Jeff Meister, Kurt Karch, Tim Holliday, Joe Munoz and others.
My brother (from Munster, IN) and nephew (from Cincinnati) visited on Saturday which was very nice for me.
When I drove the '69 at the Indy Motor Speedway on Friday, that was first time I had driven it in 10 years. It performed well and felt solid.
That day was also the first time I had seen the car outside since delivering it to the restoration guy on 08/02/18.
Was quite the present for my 60th birthday.
Posting a couple pics of the car at the staging area before driving the track lap.

Old July 23rd, 2019, 01:13 PM
Oldscarnut

Hey Tom!

Did you notice that there were a lot of cars that resembled yours? Did you have to put a 76 ball on your antenna to find it? Kidding aside, it really looks fantastic and I am sure you are feeling a bit puffed up as you drive it even among all the brothers and sisters! Mine is stalled out until I can find an available engine hoist to rent...not going to be able to drive it in the Summer if this keeps up! The easy part is behind me, the hard part is getting everything hooked up right in the El Camino. I wish I had a helper for about a week...2 sons and neither one has any inclination!
Old July 23rd, 2019, 03:06 PM
Olds Fanatic

Tom,
It was great meeting and talking with you and Steve. I'm very impressed with the way the car came out, you should be very proud of it (sorry I didn't get the chance to work on your glove box door). I hope to see you again at a future event. In the meantime, enjoy that beauty!!

Dino
Old July 27th, 2019, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck Cole
Hey Tom!

Did you notice that there were a lot of cars that resembled yours? Did you have to put a 76 ball on your antenna to find it? Kidding aside, it really looks fantastic and I am sure you are feeling a bit puffed up as you drive it even among all the brothers and sisters! Mine is stalled out until I can find an available engine hoist to rent...not going to be able to drive it in the Summer if this keeps up! The easy part is behind me, the hard part is getting everything hooked up right in the El Camino. I wish I had a helper for about a week...2 sons and neither one has any inclination!
Yeah. There sure were a lot of '69's. To see that many at one setting was incredible.
I was fortunate to be positioned as the lead car in the 2nd ("B") group lineup at the track-lap staging area. Made it easy to "find" mine.
It was interesting that I could still smell the paint on mine, especially as it was winched out of the enclosed trailer.
Dino B. and his three passengers in his '69 were following me on the track lap, and told me they could smell it too.
I wish you success with the engine work.
Old July 29th, 2019, 10:41 PM

Tom: Beautiful job!
Old July 31st, 2019, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
Tom: Beautiful job!
Thanks, Aron.
I look forward to seeing you and JuJu at the Fisher House event on Aug 10.