'68 442 project begins!

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2012, 08:32 PM

Sway Bar bushings

Hi Guys,

Ordering some front end parts and want to double check. Seems my 68 has a 13/16" sway bar, it has the round end not the squared off end. Is that right?

Thanks!

Craig
Old July 15th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I looked up 68 in the Assembly manual and nada. So I looked at 69 which should be the same. If your sway bar has the round tip, it should be part 398498 and have a diameter of .875 (or 7/8"). If you have the sway bar that has the round tip 'extension' on it, it will part 399924 and be .970 (or closer to 15/16")

Have a look at this link and see what you think. Compare your front stabilizer to the ones shown on section 3 page 111: http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe..._2_-_Sec_5.pdf

If you need a conversion chart for this? http://www.hamuniverse.com/antfrac.html

From what I've learned about these sway bars, they were shaped specifically so factory line workers could easily spot which one was needed on the build. I know that Rob Young has a 72 vert and I believe his was round like yours. I think the verts had heavier sway bars than HT or sedans. The one on my 72 Cutlass S is a 15/16"

The shapes of the stabilizer ends is pretty much the same through the 72 model year. I just don't know which one you have - could be one of 2 on that link.
Old July 15th, 2012, 10:02 PM

Ok so I went out and looked at it and found the shop manual. I guess it is actually a "B" and the 44 series is a 442 so it is a 31/32". So ordering the bushings from rock auto the two choices are 13/16" and 15/16" I guess I should go with the 15/16" so it is a tight fit! Right?

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Scan 1.jpg (36.0 KB, 37 views)
Old July 16th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Craig, if it was my car that's what I would do. The bushings should fit really snug. When you go to install them they will seem to be too big. But they compress down to exactly what you need. I think the CSM says the torque on those is 30ft/lbs - double check. Don't forget, the bushings go in with the slot to the front. They will 'bulge' a little but that's normal.
Old July 16th, 2012, 02:31 PM

Thanks Alan, they are ordered so that's what's going to happen!

Craig
Old July 17th, 2012, 04:58 PM

Update - Parts ordered! (Bank account empty)

Just got my first shipment from Rock Auto (new Springs) It's like christmas around here. The rest of the the bushings and such to follow.

I called "Getdiskbrakes.com and ordered the front disc brake kit and new brake lines.

Talked to the engine builder. He has the engine apart and is in the process of acid dipping the block. Said it looked good. We are going to talk about the engine build goodies next week (stay tuned) I'm thinking of doing roller tipped rockers and lifters and a comp cam. He said you could go with a little bigger cam with that set up and not have to use oil treatments! I am leaning towards a EB performer intake manifold. Less weight and probably better flow.

Got the front frame and crossmember painted. It came out beautiful! I used Eastwood chassis black (satin, though it is pretty glossy) the mid grade. I bought a gravity feed paint gun from Harbor freight, best $49 spent! I'll try to paint the firewall this weekend and hopefully will be installing shiny parts!

Craig
Old July 27th, 2012, 08:34 AM

Lower control arm bushings

So I ordered all the suspension parts from rock auto. Everything looks great but The lower control arm bushings. I ordered the lower front and rear. The bushings came and the lower fronts are wrong. They are smaller than the front rears. The ones that seem to be the part number match are actually smaller in diameter and should be larger than the front rears. Anyone have this problem? The bushings are Raybestos

Craig
Old August 11th, 2012, 05:46 PM

Lower control arm bushing HELP!

Hi Guys,

Can't seem to get any answers for my '68 442. The smaller diameter lower control arm bushing is the correct bushing. The other (larger bushing) is actually smaller when ordered. Anyone have this problem?

Frustrated!

Thanks

Craig
Old August 11th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

No, but then I have a 72.
Does your 68 have both of the lower control arm bushings round? Mine has 1 round, 1 oval. I know there were 3 different styles of Control arms.
Is this what your LCA looks like?
Old August 11th, 2012, 10:32 PM

Alan,

The one on the left (in your picture) is larger than the right
Old August 12th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Do you have the CA off the car? If you do, take it with you to NAPA, Autozone, or O'Reillys and see if they have the right size Moogs. If it's still on the car? Make a template out of light cardboard of that opening.
Old August 12th, 2012, 01:33 PM

Yeah, I have the CA out as well as the old bushing. I'll take it to the autopart store. I'm having a hard time finding Moog or Raybestos. The local auto parts are carrying their own brand.
Old August 17th, 2012, 05:03 PM

Craig, any luck with the bushings?
Brian
Old August 18th, 2012, 02:09 PM

Nope, I am going to try the local Auto parts store today.

Did you have any problems with yours? Maybe it was amended in '69.

Craig
Old August 18th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

If you can't find them at the auto parts store, try Classic Industries. I think the Nova used the same bushings as the A body. You can call and confirm. The price is right.
http://www.classicindustries.com/nova/parts/12237.html
Old August 18th, 2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by 442craig
Nope, I am going to try the local Auto parts store today.

Did you have any problems with yours? Maybe it was amended in '69.

Craig
Craig, I didn't have a problems. I ordered a complete front end rebuild kit and what was in the kit worked fine. Keep in mind that the LCA's on the 69 I'm restoring has the large oval bushings and one round. Those bushings are pretty standard. If you are still having problems, I have an original set of LCA's from a 69 Cutlass that also have the oval/round bushings. If you would be interested in them I'd give you a killer price plus shipping. I don't see me ever using them so I'd like to see them go to someone who needs them. I believe they have the original bushings and ball joints plus some surface rust. I'm getting ready to sandblast a set of wheels and can give these LCA's a quick blast too.
Brian
Old August 18th, 2012, 05:44 PM

Thanks guys,

Didn't make it to the auto part store today, dad duty called! I am not giving up without a fight!

Brian, thanks for your offer. I'm gonna give this a shot for now. I've blasted and painted them and am not going to be defeated in my efforts!

Craig
Old August 19th, 2012, 06:28 AM

Thanks guys,

Didn't make it to the auto part store today, dad duty called! I am not giving up without a fight!

Brian, thanks for your offer. I'm gonna give this a shot for now. I've blasted and painted them and am not going to be defeated in my efforts!

Craig
Take a look at PST Suspension as they offer a complete front end rebuilding kit and I think this is where I bough my kit. They may also sell individual parts too. I see they have a live Chat and if you have the diameter of your bushings they should know what you need.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:30 AM

Thanks,

I'll give em a try!
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:42 AM
Arrrggggg

I bought a gravity feed paint gun from Harbor freight, best $49 spent!

Craig
I have a 400.00 Devilbiss and a 300.00 Satajet. I also have one of the purple Harbour Freight no name cheapo gravity fed with air guage and limiting valve that ran me 20.00. To tell you the truth, the harbour frieght cheapie gun I find far easier, better flowing, better coverage and better pattern laying down the paint than the far more expensive others I have. Outside of having to make sure the bottom air jet is cleaned throughly and often so it doesn't lay a track when spraying I have no complaints on the sprayer. Matter of fact, I will more than likely buy another and throw the 2 expensive guns on Craigslist. My Sata has had more problems than ever, leaky seals and poor spray patterns and easily falls off setting. The Devilbiss is decent but it is the same thing. I find myself spending more time trying to readjust every few minutes from where the dials move that I waste a signifigant amount of time.

Seems like you have things going good on this car. Cant wait to see it finished.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:56 AM

Craig I also bought my front suspension kit from PST ( I am 90% sure LOL)

@CreativeIndy, I am glad to hear about the HF guns, I bought a few of them in different sizes, when I got the coupons in the magazines ( usually around 9.99) seem to be ok, I want to use them for primers and such, and thought about spraying the por-15 and wanted something fairly disposable LOL...
Old August 25th, 2012, 11:36 AM

Mystery solved... sort of

Well when I started to really wrap my head around the control arm problem, I realized I have 2 different A arms. The right side is correct and the left side has a larger bushing in it. So the question is "What do I do now???" Has anyone ever see this before?

Craig
Attached Images
IMG_6670.jpg (91.6 KB, 58 views)
IMG_6671.jpg (58.4 KB, 52 views)
IMG_6672.jpg (49.3 KB, 54 views)
IMG_6673.jpg (37.7 KB, 49 views)
IMG_6674.jpg (85.8 KB, 44 views)
Old August 25th, 2012, 07:05 PM

changed?

Wow Craig I would think at some point it was damaged and the owner changed it for another a body arm? It also seems that the spring seat looks a tad deeper as well I wouldn't mess with it I am sure folks have an a arm for sale that is weird
Old August 25th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I have 2 different A arms. The right side is correct and the left side has a larger bushing in it. So the question is "What do I do now???
Replace one of them to match the other so this problem of matching up bushings doesn't happen again.
Old August 25th, 2012, 08:57 PM

Yeah guys thats what I'll do. More time wasted! Seems to be my mantra these days!
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:29 PM

To spline or not to spline...

Trying to find upper control arm bolts. The stock ones have a splined shoulder bolt. I'm finding replacements without the splines. Anybody know if this will work?

Craig
Old August 27th, 2012, 04:27 PM

Trying to find upper control arm bolts. The stock ones have a splined shoulder bolt. I'm finding replacements without the splines. Anybody know if this will work?

Craig
Craig you need the splined bolts or else the person who tries to do an alignment will be very unhappy with you. The heads of the bolt would be difficult to reach with a socket with all of the suspension in place and when they tried to loosen the nut, everything would turn. Here is a link to a company that deals with a lot of Chevy stuff and this will show the correct bolts are out there. I also looked and Fusick sells these but for $8 more.

Brian

http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mv...NTROLARMSFRONT
Old August 27th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

100% NO! For the reason Brian stated.
If you want, I have a full set of 4 OEM bolts/nuts I cosmetically restored last year but didn't use. I decided to put in brand new. These would probably have been just as good but I got talked into the new ones by one of our members. You can buy them new from ILT or Fusick for around 25.00 plus shipping. If you want these I'll sell them for 10.00 + actual shipping
Here's what they look like:
Attached Images
IMG_2091.jpg (109.1 KB, 37 views)
IMG_2092.jpg (81.2 KB, 34 views)
IMG_2093.jpg (89.6 KB, 31 views)
Old August 27th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Brian, sorry I didn't check that link till just now. Wow! Wish I knew about it last year.

Craig - check them out. They may have a free shipping or even discounted? New is likely better than used in this case....so it's up to you.
Old August 27th, 2012, 08:52 PM

Thanks guys! I was just having a hard time finding new ones... man how times have changed! I used to be able to go to the auto part stores when they had full machine shops and all the parts you could possible need! I'm getting old!

Thanks again!

Craig
Old August 28th, 2012, 04:10 AM

seasoned....

'm getting old!

Thanks again!

Craig
Craig, your not getting old, your getting seasoned, lol , remember we actually got to go on dates with girls and could talk to them without having to send them a text message lol. As for our cars I do believe we are in a better spot then 10 years ago part reproduction is much better. My new body mounts and bolts are light years better than the old ones, I hope you get your bolt issues solved. Now quit complaining and get your choppers ready for another bite of elephant ! As soon as I finish my second cup of coffee I am heading into my pachyderm paradise and taken a big bite out his azz.
Old August 28th, 2012, 04:30 AM

[QUOTE=Allan R;446075]Brian, sorry I didn't check that link till just now. Wow! Wish I knew about it last year.
QUOTE]

No problem. I found this company a few years ago and I have bought from them several times and all were positive experiences. Since Olds and Chevy did share some items, I started checking the pricing with this company and always found their prices to be more competitive.
Old August 28th, 2012, 04:35 AM

Thanks guys! I was just having a hard time finding new ones... man how times have changed! I used to be able to go to the auto part stores when they had full machine shops and all the parts you could possible need! I'm getting old!

Thanks again!

Craig
I think the days of off the shelf parts at our local auto stores is over for our Oldsmobile classics. But there are many places who offer what we need but you just need to allow for shipping time and shipping costs.

The local availability is not us as much as it is the industry. Not many people will walk into a local store asking for parts for classic cars so these stores inventory what sells and that's items for the more recent vehicles. Basic supply and demand.
Old August 29th, 2012, 03:38 PM

Eddie,
Boy it sure feels like a herd of Elephants sometimes! Just need a little Classic Olds support! I ordered the bolts from the Chevelle supplier. (Thanks Brian!) I have the week off from work and feel like I'm spinning my wheels.

I'm going to swap the steering box out for the Jeep one. Lee Engineering is in my neck of the woods so that is handy! I think I might just buy a remanufactured one from an auto parts store to have every thing tight and clean.

Thanks again for all your support, you are life savers!

Craig
Old August 29th, 2012, 03:50 PM

Eddie,
Boy it sure feels like a herd of Elephants sometimes! Just need a little Classic Olds support! I ordered the bolts from the Chevelle supplier. (Thanks Brian!) I have the week off from work and feel like I'm spinning my wheels.

Craig
Craig I hear you man I took the week off as well and man it is monotunous ( spelling?) I am thinking of doing the jeep box myself but later keep at it bud and don't get antsy it'll all work out bud. Besides I am sure it is time for the Coors light express :-) I mean we are on vacation lol
Old August 29th, 2012, 03:52 PM

Oh by the way when your chewing on that elephant 's butt and you get to that bagel lookig thing dont eat it chew around it ....roflmao
Old August 29th, 2012, 03:57 PM

"Bagel looking thing" I just threw up in my mouth! Thanks! I think I'll adapt a lion (or a mouse) to take care of that problem!

Shouldn't you be under a car right about now???
Old August 29th, 2012, 04:10 PM

Eddie,
Boy it sure feels like a herd of Elephants sometimes! Just need a little Classic Olds support! I ordered the bolts from the Chevelle supplier. (Thanks Brian!)

Craig
Now get that lower control arm issue worked out!

Brian
Old August 29th, 2012, 04:26 PM

On it!
Old August 29th, 2012, 04:35 PM

On it? Man I was under it lol. I am taking a well deserved break and besides giants ply the pats tonight lol I'll be back under in the am lol , actually I am getting excited once I finish the trunk area, it should be smooth sailing, just put the tie coat primer and the GM resto black. Hey as Brian said did you get another a arm? Anyway I think I'll do some weight lifting 12 oz at a time

Quick Reply: '68 442 project begins!