'68 442 project begins!

Old January 18th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Registered Luser

Craig, I've been following along, and .looks like you are doing a great job! Do you still have your old steering box? I'd like to see the difference between the two, as far as the mounting points. Is that some type of spacer located at the front of the box between the frame and box? Looks like it should be located on the rear part of the box.....is it part of the box or a removable spacer?

Last edited by ent72olds; January 18th, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old January 18th, 2013, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Following along Craig :-) keep at her
Glad to see your watchful eyes still here! How's the progress on yours? A little frosty in the old garage this time of year? Suposed to be in the 70's here tomorrow! Eat your heart out!

Last edited by 442craig; January 18th, 2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old January 18th, 2013, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Craig, I've been following along, and .looks like you are doing a great job! Do you still have your old steering box? I'd like to see the difference between the two, as far as the mounting points. Is that some type of spacer located at the front of the box between the frame and box? Looks like it should be located on the rear part of the box.....is it part of the box or a removable spacer?
Thanks! I have the old box, I'll shoot a few pix this weekend. The box mounts directly to the frame, no spacers. The washers are on the other side. I confirmed this with Tom Lee of Lee power steering. He was baffled too. I guess if the guru of power steering is baffled, you must have problems!
So here I sit and wait!
Old January 18th, 2013, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Geez not much difference...could the frame have collapsed from overtightening the steering gear mount bolts or was there a spacer or something to keep that from happening ?
Nope not overtightened. The rag joint is about 1/4" larger. Cant remember how close the stock rag and box were? Can anyone give me an idea?

Craig
Old January 18th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Registered Luser

Craig, it must be the way the light was reflecting....is there a part # stamped on the housing. If there still is, maybe you could google it, and see if it is possibly not a jeep box.....
Old January 18th, 2013, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Craig, it must be the way the light was reflecting....is there a part # stamped on the housing. If there still is, maybe you could google it, and see if it is possibly not a jeep box.....
I'll give that a try! Thanks!
Old January 19th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I know I'm late to the discussion. Just wondering about that unit. I looked up several rag joints that appear to be similar and although they're power steering, the description reads
Oldsmobile - Custom Cruiser, Delmont, Delta 88, Dynamic 88, Jetstar 88, Super 88, 88, & 98 1959-76, F-85 1961-63, Omega 1973-76, Starfire 1961-66, Toronado 1966-76

Jeep - Cherokee & Wagoneer 1970-76, J-Series & Gladiator 1970-76,
So now I'm wondering - (no offence intended) - did you get the right rag joint?
Old January 19th, 2013, 09:00 PM

Allan,

No offense taken, that's why I put it to the Olds gurus! I got it in the kit from Lee Engineering as well as personally stopped by his shop and showed him. I really am baffled by this and he was too. This swap is supposed to be virtually bolt on! Anyways thanks all for your inquires. Hopefully I'll hear something next week!

Allan, didn't you do this swap? Thought I saw one of your posts saying that

Craig
Old January 19th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 442craig
Allan, didn't you do this swap? Thought I saw one of your posts saying that
Craig, no I didn't have to. My rag joint and coupler were in really good condition overall. Cleanup and restoration was actually pretty easy when I disassembled the whole thing. Putting it back together after the cleaning and painting was a snap and reinstalling to the intermediate shaft was (sorry) really easy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1805.jpg (72.6 KB, 62 views)
IMG_1806.jpg (73.4 KB, 61 views)
IMG_1803.jpg (59.1 KB, 63 views)
IMG_1802.jpg (66.8 KB, 55 views)
Old January 21st, 2013, 03:48 AM

Nice Work Craig!!! Looks great!!! as i just did some of the same on my '68 I feel your pain!!!
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:11 AM
GM Enthusiast

Very nice work so far, can certainly appreciate the amount of time and effort that goes into doing this.
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:03 PM

Thanks Guys,

I am diving deeper into it. I am selling my first love, my corvair, to go full time Olds! Wish me luck!

Craig
Attached Images
IMG_8680.jpg (48.3 KB, 91 views)
IMG_8678.jpg (96.8 KB, 83 views)
IMG_8685.jpg (67.6 KB, 81 views)
IMG_2027.jpg (91.1 KB, 75 views)
IMG_2025.jpg (75.2 KB, 79 views)
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Wow! You've done some amazing work to that corvair. Why not keep it and the olds? You'll probably kick yourself after the fact if you sell it.
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:35 PM

Alan,

Already kicking myself. I am tripping all over it trying to restore the Olds. I restored a similar one with my dad a few years ago and will probably inherit it.

Here is a few shots of my dads car.

Craig
Attached Images
EFI.jpg (98.4 KB, 76 views)
IMG_3476.jpg (95.8 KB, 85 views)
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You guys did some beautiful work Craig. I like the resto mirror look. Paint came out fantastic. I know nothing about Corvair's but that engine looks waaaaay to clean and likely has tooooo much power. Those 'turbine' wheels look very similar to one of the 90's series Olds patterns IIRC. What an exceptional looking car. It's begging for that blue one to be a stable mate, but hopefully not for some time. Keep your Dad healthy and young as long as you can.
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:55 PM

Thanks Allan!

A "sister" car was my intention! Best laid plans! My pops is still doing great! I think looking at that car keeps him young, something to live for anyways!

Craig
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:57 PM

amazing...

Ohhh Craig now I know we need the nets and straight jacket for u, first starting another project with one in the oven dang two timer lol then selling that righteous corvair , yup time for the nets, work continues at Casa Hansen, slow at the moment as honey dos and life r still happening, but as long as I can get something done in the shop its good need to add some updates , as for the temps it was 9 degrees f this morning when I let the dogs out, that may seem nippy to you and I but I am sure for Allen that is practically balmy lol I picked up a two head propane heater and it heats that tiny garage up in a flash no pun intended lol I can work in my normal attire of a sweat shirt or a coverall not too cold... p

Back to the corvair you know some of the earlier models had a turbo iirc 110 HP, I knew a guy who swapped that motor into a VW think was like a porsche. Absolutely screamed
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

as for the temps it was 9 degrees f this morning when I let the dogs out, that may seem nippy to you and I but I am sure for Allen that is practically balmy lol I picked up a two head propane heater and it heats that tiny garage up in a flash no pun intended lol I can work in my normal attire of a sweat shirt or a coverall not too cold...
Eddie, word to the wise - be very careful with the propane torch especially with ventilation. What? No coveralls? Just the tightey whiteys workin out in their lonesome??? And yes 9°F isn't that bad. It's the equivalent of about -12°C. It's not those temps that really bother any of us, it's the wind chill. Either way you slice it F or C when the wind gets involved it's downright mean and can freeze you silly in no time at all. I constantly see peeps walking about with light jackets and no gloves/hats freezing their hinies off. I don't feel sorry for them at all since it's their choice to be dumber than barbells in winter.

Oh, have you seen the latest for dogs? Heated water bowls for winter.. No kidding. Just add whatever flavor coffee or tea and plug it in. Course that's for peeps who never let their animals inside and I know that's not your style.

Gotta check out your thread too. I keep thinking to myself at times " Now what would Eddie have done??"
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:40 PM

442craig: oh boy, here we go, I had two 110 HP 4speed 64 Corvairs in 65. One street driven and the other was a drag car than ran in stock as an N/S. I won the 1965 N/S class in Fla. at the State Championship (made it to the semi finals), the N/S class in Ala. and went on to win the State Stock Championship and the N/S class and State Stock Championship in GA. the same year. Damn that car would hook up on bukrans!
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:34 PM

Eddie, I keep thinking I am hearing sirens... must be getting close to a rubber room for me! What a lovely way to go! I am concentrating my efforts on the Olds, against my true love (the Corvair!) But seeing that 70 W-30 go for $325,000 at the B/J aution last weekend made the financial decision easy, besides these girls of mine are going to need some bucks for college!

Sorry to hear it is so cold I hear we are going to have a cooling trend are way, highs in the frigid 60's! Makes for great restoration weather, that is if I sell the Corvair this weekend! I already have on on the hook with a price and another coming over to see it tomorrow, wish me luck!

Corvairs area really a great hobby. They really got a bad rap! You gcan build the heck out of them and they can bring a few ponies! It is a lot of fun at the car shows. Everyone has a story about one and usually they have a smile on their face. My dad and I restored his back in the 90's over a few summers. I'll always cherrish those times hanging out with my pops!

Here are a few videos I cut of us screwing around with them! (My brother has one too! It's a Casey disease!)

I finally got the correct brake line for the front to back union. Now on to the rag joint issue. Talked to Tom at Lee Engineering and they are rebuilding my stock joint to fit the Jeep box. Nothings easy!

The engine builder is still waiting on the pistons, I guess they shut down over the holidays and are back logged. I didn't realize the pistons for a 68 was so rare and expensive! It will be worth it as to a cut down on rotating mass. Should be a nice cruiser! He is ordering me a Edlebrock performenr intake. I was going back and forth on whether to buy one then I moved the stock one to an upper shelf in my garage friken heavy! decision made!

Craig

Ohhh Craig now I know we need the nets and straight jacket for u, first starting another project with one in the oven dang two timer lol then selling that righteous corvair , yup time for the nets, work continues at Casa Hansen, slow at the moment as honey dos and life r still happening, but as long as I can get something done in the shop its good need to add some updates , as for the temps it was 9 degrees f this morning when I let the dogs out, that may seem nippy to you and I but I am sure for Allen that is practically balmy lol I picked up a two head propane heater and it heats that tiny garage up in a flash no pun intended lol I can work in my normal attire of a sweat shirt or a coverall not too cold... p

Back to the corvair you know some of the earlier models had a turbo iirc 110 HP, I knew a guy who swapped that motor into a VW think was like a porsche. Absolutely screamed
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:43 PM

Hi Dave,

Sounds like you had some fun! They are a great car to play around with. I've surprised a few in my day!

You should buy another one (I know someone who has one!)

Craig

Originally Posted by davebw31
442craig: oh boy, here we go, I had two 110 HP 4speed 64 Corvairs in 65. One street driven and the other was a drag car than ran in stock as an N/S. I won the 1965 N/S class in Fla. at the State Championship (made it to the semi finals), the N/S class in Ala. and went on to win the State Stock Championship and the N/S class and State Stock Championship in GA. the same year. Damn that car would hook up on bukrans!
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:05 PM

wow

Craig that is so cool , the vids were awesome, liked the music and everything I admire the determination and commitment to choose , I have a problem choosing, , and I am eclectic in my interests so things get spread thin lol .

I think I mentioned before I went with a performer as well, I had the engine builder mill off the edelbrock name and stuff and then he blasted the area, looks like it was never there and looks like a stock aluminum manifold until you really start looking. And taking off what 35-45 pounds off the nose has to be good lol.

I know stuff starts getting pricey, pistons rods etc add up but I also couldn't be happier knowing the motor is a little over built for the application it will feel like money well spent.

Anyway glad your moving ahead my friend :-) inspires us slackers

Last edited by Eddie Hansen; January 28th, 2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: meant vids not bids lol
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:09 PM

442craig: Gezzzssss can you go figure, I ran 2 yrs. all over south USA in Autocross II for two yrs in 1987 and 1988. Found out I could not drive corners! LOL

I had an 1984 Toyota Celica GTS coupe and a 1985 Corolla GTS Twin Cam fastback. The damn Corolla was way faster than the Celica. The twin cam Corolla would rev to 8,000 rpm. Did not do very well and got out of that after spending serious $$$$. In Autocross the driver CAN BE THE difference.

I bet that Corvair handled pretty good! Seems it would be the perfect car for Autocross.

Last edited by davebw31; January 23rd, 2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:50 AM

Dave,

Auto crossing is one of the funnest sports with your pants on!
We have fun, my brother and I go head to head all the time, it is a great sibling rivalry! The bastard beat me by 1/2 second! I highlighted the video with my crappiest run! If you cant laugh at yourself...
He went out and bought a new WRX so he is going to take it to the next level. The corvair actually has a racing heritage. The late Don Yenko built 100 corvairs for racing back in the 60's.

Originally Posted by davebw31
442craig: Gezzzssss can you go figure, I ran 2 yrs. all over south USA in Autocross II for two yrs in 1987 and 1988. Found out I could not drive corners! LOL

I had an 1984 Toyota Celica GTS coupe and a 1985 Corolla GTS Twin Cam fastback. The damn Corolla was way faster than the Celica. The twin cam Corolla would rev to 8,000 rpm. Did not do very well and got out of that after spending serious $$$$. In Autocross the driver CAN BE THE difference.

I bet that Corvair handled pretty good! Seems it would be the perfect car for Autocross.
Old January 28th, 2013, 12:04 PM

Dave,

Auto crossing is one of the funnest sports with your pants on!
We have fun, my brother and I go head to head all the time, it is a great sibling rivalry! The bastard beat me by 1/2 second! I highlighted the video with my crappiest run! If you cant laugh at yourself...
He went out and bought a new WRX so he is going to take it to the next level. The corvair actually has a racing heritage. The late Don Yenko built 100 corvairs for racing back in the 60's.

For a second I thought you were sellin your Yenko!!!!!!!!!! Corvair....
Old January 29th, 2013, 08:28 AM

For a second I thought you were sellin your Yenko!!!!!!!!!! Corvair....
Never! It isn't a Yenko (I wish it was!) It's a Casey-yo!!!!

Craig
Old February 17th, 2013, 08:58 AM

any news?

Craig any news? For me I have been busy outside of the garage, little progress
Old February 20th, 2013, 07:46 AM

Eddie,

Slow, very slow! I sold the Corvair so my garage is a one car party! I can actually walk around the Olds without tripping on something!

My pistons finally came in and as of last week the rotation assembly is being assembled and balanced. I finally bought a Edlebrock intake. I am going to grind the logo off and make it look stock. Should come together quick at this point! He said with all the tricks it should put out 400+ HP! I'm looking forward to it's return!

I am still waiting for the rag joint. The guy at Lee Power Steering said the new run of rag joints are larger than the previous ones. He is modifying my old one. Apparently others are having problems too. Nothing is easy when you modify!

The brakes are all set! I got the rear line installed and bolted down. Looks great!

Still fighting the sway bar bushings. The ones I got from Rock Auto that are "stock" are too small, so trying to find someone who caries larger bushings (I think my bar is 1") and the stacked bushings that connect the sway bar to the control arm is 2" longer than what was on there. The new kit is 8" and what was on there was 6". Corn-fusing! I have looked at a few pictures and it seems the 8" is stock. What do you have on yours?

Anyways, I'm rambling! You are probably dreaming of warmer days and less of that white stuff on the ground! Hope all is well!

Craig
Old February 20th, 2013, 08:05 AM
NOVICE car nut

Alan,

Already kicking myself. I am tripping all over it trying to restore the Olds. I restored a similar one with my dad a few years ago and will probably inherit it.

Here is a few shots of my dads car.

Craig
Wow ! that is very cool !
Old February 20th, 2013, 12:18 PM

thanks for the update

C raig have to say it has been on the mild side with just average snow, jersey missed the brunt of that 20+ inches but not by much whew I was seeing neighborhoods where I spent a large portion of my childhood, stony brook, port Jeff, center each, lake grove with snow in the feet!!!!

The shop is cool not cold, and I turn on a propane heater it gets toasty quickly but limits what I can do. Any part requiring spraying is out, and besides I have been taking care of honey dos and watching my daughter play b-ball for her college, then yesterday I took her to the airport as she has a work/learn thing with the Australian government she left JFK at 6:30 and she is still on the plane

Anyway will post some updates shortly I hope

Last edited by Eddie Hansen; February 21st, 2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old February 21st, 2013, 01:52 PM

Spending time with the family is what it all about! Been doing a lot of that while I wait for the motor!

Craig
Old June 24th, 2013, 10:15 AM

To Weld or not to Weld... that is the question!

Hi guys,

Doing some thinking about the exhaust system. Been thinking about a Magnaflow x pipe system. Better to have it welded and installed by a muffler shop or can I bolt it together in the garage????

Craig
Old July 7th, 2013, 07:11 PM

Quick steering box installed!

Finally got all the bugs out of the quick steering box swap. Recap - I purchased a remanufactured Jeep box from pep boys and a conversion kit from Lee Power steering. The rag joint was an issue. Seems his supplier doesn't make the Olds (smaller diameter) rag joint anymore. Tom tried to modify the old one with the new one. Didn't work. A long story short, we swapped the shaft out of the old box to the new one. Works great so far. Everything buttoned up nice. Still waiting on the engine, should be here by the end of the month.

Stay tuned...

Craig
Attached Images
IMG_9678.jpg (39.7 KB, 46 views)
IMG_9679.jpg (52.9 KB, 47 views)
IMG_9680.jpg (64.0 KB, 46 views)
IMG_9681.jpg (35.2 KB, 46 views)
Old July 7th, 2013, 07:16 PM

Still Puzzled!

Still looking for an answer to my swaybar bushing tower problem. This 8" bolt was included in the kit. The old one was a 6" bolt. Anybody know which is correct? The bolt is way to close to the wheel spindle nut?

Craig
Attached Images
IMG_9682.jpg (31.5 KB, 37 views)
IMG_9683.jpg (26.4 KB, 28 views)
Old July 9th, 2013, 02:12 PM

I pulled these crusty sway bar end links from a 68 442 that has been off the road for some time. I assume they are original. Total length is 7 1/8" or 7" under the bolt head.
Attached Images
end_links.jpg (87.7 KB, 32 views)
Old July 9th, 2013, 04:39 PM

Thanks Scott,

I can't figure why there are so many different sizes? Maybe the difference in bar diameter had something to do with it? I think I am going to cut the new ones down to the "original" size.

Craig
Old July 9th, 2013, 04:39 PM

I have an aftermarket heavy front sway bar and had the exact same problem. I cut the spacer down to 3" (which looks the same length as the original ones above) and bought a grade 8 bolt to fit. It works fine

Last edited by allyolds68; July 9th, 2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old July 9th, 2013, 05:01 PM

Bolts can easily be made shorter to suit, but the end may rust rapidly, so if you can just buy a new one of the correct length that's best.
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:48 PM

Thanks guys!

Looks like I'll be doing some modifications! Still a head scratcher!

Craig
Old July 10th, 2013, 08:17 PM

What Gear ratio do I have?

Hi guys,

A little help. Getting the carb dialed in for the rebuild and the I need the gear ratio. i jacked the car up blocked one wheel (driver side) marked the tire and the yoke. Spun the tire 10 times. the yoke spun almost 14 times. I doubled that number to 28 so I figure it is a 2.78 ratio. Does that sound correct? It sounds tall to me. 68, 400, auto, convertible.

Thanks,

Craig

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '68 442 project begins!