1972 Oldsmobile Brother Restoration

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2023, 01:14 PM

1972 Oldsmobile Brother Restoration

Good Day, Fellow DIYers, Mechanics, and Hobbyists,
I have taken the liberty to support my brother who is currently serving in the Army by his request to restore his 72 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Convertible. Like many projects, they usually start, but sometimes get distracted and then the project comes to an end. I now have this vehicle in my possession and will do my best to get it done. As we say in the Army, Rain, Sleet, or Hellfire. I will see it through. I too am a veteran (retired) and looking to see how this build goes. I received the car with engine, body, and frame. However, it appears I am not on a hunt to find the right brackets to make the pulleys line up. I have a long nose water pump a previous mechanic added. However, the alternator brackets and power steering pump brackets don't align when installed. WTH. We are off to a great start. see the pics, and please chime in and I will post as I go. Thanks in advance, as I will most likely bug you all in hopes to get this engine running so I can move to the next phase of this build.

How many types of brackets were made for this engine - 3965558 - I went to opgi and found these brackets- look at the next photo.

I found this bracket in a box that was sent with the car and as you notice in this picture it's failing to align with the other pulleys. I added spacers, but that failed to work due to the power steering pump. So the next pick will be the power steering pump bracket. It's also questionable here. What are your thoughts?

Here is the infamous bracket that also came with the car. However, we still have a few issues here with the alignment of the two together. I think I have to fabricate. Oh, I will install an AC on the other side of this engine. More to follow after I resolve issues #1 and #2.
Old May 26th, 2023, 05:26 PM
Rodney

You may be missing the spacers that shim the accessory brackets into the correct position. I've attached a pdf below showing the size, thickness & placement. Also, you have the belts in the wrong positions; the alternator belt rides in the inside groove, the power steering belt is in the middle and the AC compressor belt rides in the outer groove.

Rodney

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AccessoryBracketSpacers.pdf (344.9 KB, 10 views)