1970 Street/Drag Project

Old April 8th, 2019, 03:23 PM

^Thanks man!

Panel is cut and fit, I'm going to do a little clean up and paint in the under cowl area while I have access to it and this panel is ready to weld in.

Old April 9th, 2019, 09:11 AM

Awesome work. Can I ask what you used to strip the quarter panels with? Fixing to repair mine the same way.

Thanks
Old April 9th, 2019, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by 32redman View Post
Awesome work. Can I ask what you used to strip the quarter panels with? Fixing to repair mine the same way.

Thanks
Thanks!

I used a 7" pneumatic sander with a 40 grit disc taking the entire panel down evenly to about the primer level, then finished it out with a DA and 80 grit paper. I suppose anything with variable speed will work as well, you don't want to overheat the paint material. I've also had decent results with aircraft stripper. Just take your time and fit the panel as best you can, a perfect fit with zero or a VERY small gap will produce good results and along with not saturating the panel with heat you will keep distortion to a minimum.

Hope this helps
Old April 27th, 2019, 04:51 PM

Received some goodies today, cage should be here sometime next week.

Old April 27th, 2019, 06:29 PM
72 Olds CS

Great thread w some real nice work. I can't believe how much rot there was hiding under what looked like a relatively clean car it's crazy.

keep up the great work.
Old April 29th, 2019, 04:25 PM

Thanks man!

I seriously think this dude dropped a grand on Bondo..... I probably stripped 250lbs of that crap off the car. Hindsight, I should have scrapped this shell and found a better one ... but, hey, I've never walked away from a challenge and I won't start now. Haha, It was definitely a polished turd when it showed up.

I have the donor cowl welded in, just have to do a couple small patches in that before I call it good. Then I will de-hip the firewall and start on the tulip panel...

Old May 4th, 2019, 05:11 PM

Working on seat mounting...

One thing I see a lot of is people mounting these things directly to the sheet metal floor, that is completely ridiculous, unsafe and not my style. There should always be some kind of substructure to keep the seat firmly located in the event of a rollover. I always tie the seats in the body cross members with 1" 0.083 wall square tubing. Here are a few pictures to show what I'm talking about. I still have a bit of trimming on the inside rail and will build a step down to meet the rear cross member then I'll drill and sleeve a couple bolt holes for the seat mounts. Once done with the driver side, I will do the passenger side exactly the same.

Old May 5th, 2019, 04:03 AM

Nice job.
I did the same, but with the factory seats, mounted seats farther back
Old May 6th, 2019, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by truckman5000 View Post
Nice job.
I did the same, but with the factory seats, mounted seats farther back
Thanks man, You must be a tall guy. Good on you for doing a proper job! We have had more than a few major wrecks in the road race cars, barrel rolls, 100+ mph side impacts to barrier walls, etc. and this method has yet to fail.... I guess if you over do something, you will never know it and I'm ok with that!
Old May 7th, 2019, 03:46 PM

Who likes puzzles?

Old May 12th, 2019, 03:26 PM

Got some time with the Olds this weekend. Seat mounting rails are done and tacked in. I'm pretty happy with the placement and adjustment so I think I'll glue them in permanently. All mounting holes are sleeved with DOM tubing. I even gave my wife a seating position for the driver side....hahaha, like I'm going to let her drive it.