1970 Cutlass rebuild

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2013, 04:26 PM

1970 Cutlass rebuild

After a couple years of getting around to it, I have finally begun the rebuild of my Cutlass. So I will document my progress in this thread. Car has been a decent 20 footer, so hoping to spruce it up and and add some nice upgrades along the way. Driveline upgrades planned are a 455 out of a 70 Toro to apply a mild build to. That will mate to a 200R4 along with converting the rear to a posi. Some basic suspension upgrades and front discs are on the list. The bench seat will be converted to buckets and console. Car was originally Sherwood Green with a white painted top, so I want to restore the original paint scheme. Body has had the normal issues with some band aids applied over the years. The plan is to strip it down and correct those where necessary. I expect rear quarters will be in order. Interior is green of course and I plan to continue with that.

Got the front clip off. Car must have spent time in a dust bowl prior to me. There is dirt caked everywhere.

photo.JPG

The 70 fenders have had some patchwork in the lower part done in the past, but overall the original braces are there and solid. Hopefully when I get to the bodywork, these fenders won't be to much work to fix up.

IMG_0552.JPG

The core support was also in pretty good shape. Just some minor rust in the battery area. Should clean up pretty decent.

IMG_0519.JPG

Lots of labeling and note taking for future reference. Most everything is ready for the engine and trans to come out next.
Old January 7th, 2013, 04:33 PM
72 Olds CS

Nice, is sherwood green the color it is now I like that color !!

looks like its in pretty good shape so far thats good.

what are the 200r4 details... vendor etc
Old January 7th, 2013, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Nice, is sherwood green the color it is now I like that color !!

looks like its in pretty good shape so far thats good.

what are the 200r4 details... vendor etc

The wheels are correct, but the current body color is a little lighter. The PO slapped a quick paint job on it a few years ago.

I have not finalized on a vendor for the trans yet. I have a couple in mind. I would like to find someone local in the St Louis area if possible.
Old January 7th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Olds Nut

fyi wheels are not correct for year, also the outside mirrors on the doors, Otherwise a very awesome car
Old January 7th, 2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by m455sx
fyi wheels are not correct for year, also the outside mirrors on the doors, Otherwise a very awesome car

I was referring to the wheels being the correct sherwood green color, but yes they are 15" and from a later car as well as the mirrors.
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:01 PM

Nice project to start with. Mine needed more work than yours. I had to replace the quarters, outer wheelhouses, core support, lower windshield repair, lower cowl repair, and alot of odds and ends. Alot of work. Took me a little over a year and alot of hours to complete everything. And of course the re does and added improvements that I decided to change later after finishing. Good luck with your project. Lots of help here on this board.
Old January 13th, 2013, 03:41 PM

Another good weekend of progress

Disassembly is moving along pretty good. Got the engine/transmission pulled and most everything on the front end. Old 350/TH350 was caked with dirt as well as the frame.

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

Took about 3 hours to get most of the interior out. Headliner is about all that is left. Gonna need some floorpan work. Front windshield had leaked along the way.

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0585.JPG

Few more steps and then the body should be ready to come off.
Old February 9th, 2013, 01:57 PM

More progress updates

Been busy the last few weeks getting the the body off of the frame. Front window glass came out and there is minimal rust in the channel and only one spot in the corner that is rusted through. I was expecting worse with the rust in the floors. I suspect the side windows had leaked as well.

IMG_0592.jpg
IMG_0593.jpg

The car had been in a rear end accident somewhere in it's life and I suspected the rear part of the frame had been tweaked a bit. When I got the body off it was as suspected. The rear driver tail was bent down some.

Then as luck would have it, that same day I found a person selling a very nice powder coated frame a couple of miles from me. He had to move and did not want to store it. I picked it up for $250. Can't straighten and coat my frame for that so I couldn't pass it up.

IMG_0614.jpg

So should be ready to start putting things back together now. A lot of parts are on the way to start.
Old February 9th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Oh no the MAW's are on the loose.
Old March 17th, 2013, 05:45 PM

Making progress

It has been a while since my last update and there has been a lot of progress.

The rear has been rebuilt with new POSI unit and 3.90 gears supplied by Brian Trick. Blasted and repainted the lower control arms and differential. Tried to match the semi gloss of the powder coating on the frame. I was able to get pretty close.

Installed new factory style disc brakes up front along with many new upgraded suspension parts from Mark at SC&C. Springs and front upper control arms are SPC with Howe tall ball joints. Rear trailing arms are UMI with Currie Johnny joints. Sways bars are modern tubular from Hellwig. Rest of the stuff is stock Moog components. Hopefully she will have much improved handling.

So after several long days of work, got it back to a roller. Still need to install the rear sway, brake lines on the differential and shocks.

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg
Old March 17th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Registered Luser

Lookin' good!