1969 442 Convertible Restoration Project

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2013, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by 69442C

Thanks James. And as much as I appreciate the interest, I probably have one more major project in me and I need to make it something for me.
I hope we can follow along with that one too
Old June 23rd, 2013, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Brian absolutely phenominal , and one of the best write-ups on the forums, truly a bible for the 69 guys, I know i refer to the thread all the time.

you sharing of knowledge and the details and techniques is second to none, I thank you!!

now if I can only find some time to get back to mine.

be well.

eddie
Thanks Eddie. You'll get there with your car and it does take patients.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 04:50 PM

I hope we can follow along with that one too
It's hard to say as I haven't fully decided what the project will be. It's looking like it will be the 54 Chevy so that build won't be seen here.

Brian
Old June 23rd, 2013, 05:10 PM

To complete the story on this 442, it is back in TX and the owner was beside himself with what he received. I think he's still admiring it and he should as his dream for that car began back in 1998. I was glad to see it go as it had consumed enough of my time and I needed to move on to other things. What surprised me was the day the transport company arrived, my wife got very upset that the car was leaving. She said it seemed like a member of the family since it had been here so long and she was sad to see it leave. I guess I had better make the 54 Chevy my next project as that car has been here for 10 years and no sense upsetting the little woman again.

Here's a few pictures of the 442 being loaded up for the ride back home.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
13 6 2 442C Going Home.jpg (61.9 KB, 185 views)
13 6 2 442C Going Home D.jpg (52.2 KB, 166 views)
13 6 2 442C Going Home E.jpg (48.9 KB, 147 views)
13 6 2 442C Going Home G.jpg (46.8 KB, 131 views)
13 6 2 442C Going Home J.jpg (55.9 KB, 128 views)
Old June 23rd, 2013, 05:35 PM

That 69' came out great , what a car!
Old April 11th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by 69442C
I've seen other threads on CO where there was discussion on what type of silver paint is correct for the fender fillers or for the grilles/headlight housings/headlight bezels if someone were refinishing original pieces. I bought reproduction parts from Fusick so I called them to get their input. Like I had read elsewhere, they told me that Kyrlon Dull Aluminum was the closest they found. OK, sounds easy. But it wasn't. No one carried that color of paint around here and those that said they could get it told me I would need to but a case of 6 cans. I found some places on the Internet that said they sold it but I didn't want to pay a bunch of shipping (and handling) for a stinking can of spray paint, not to mention wait a few days for it to arrive. So I started digging around to see what I had that may work. I have quite a few cans of spray can paint from doing these restorations and there were various silvers. I had an old fender filler that I was using for testing and nothing was working out all that well. But I finally got one and I think it's a 100% perfect match. I used Duplicolor Silver Brake Caliper Paint #BCP103. The pictures show the painted fillers up against one of the new repro headlight bezels. I took a photo with and without the flash. To me, it's a perfect match. Even the amount of reflection on the paint is the same as the headlight bezel paint. This paint is thin so hold the can back about 14"-16" and just spray a light coat of paint. Let that coat dry for 10 minutes (per the instructions on the can) and repeat this 2-3 more times so you have 3 or 4 light coats that are sprayed. And this is what you'll get. Perfect match and readily available at most auto parts stores.
Great info Brian!
Exactly what I was looking for!
Thanks!
Old April 11th, 2014, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by sammy
Great info Brian!
Thanks!
I went through this Same routine with some items on my car looking for the right shade of semi gloss black for certain parts. One word of advice. When you find the shade, color, gloss, paint that you like, mark it right then. I ended up with 3-4 different kinds/shades/glossiness of black. I would find the perfect match and then forget what I had used when I went to spray the complimentary part.
Old April 11th, 2014, 06:45 PM

Brian, I followed this thread religiously during your build. Somehow I missed the last posts of it leaving you. What a phenomenal job. The guy in Texas is a lucky man!
Old April 11th, 2014, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by sammy
Great info Brian!
Thanks!
Let me know what your experience is if you use the caliper paint. Don't forget to use a plastic prep first on any plastic parts.

Originally Posted by Sampson
Brian, I followed this thread religiously during your build. Somehow I missed the last posts of it leaving you. What a phenomenal job. The guy in Texas is a lucky man!
I spoke to him the other day and he is approaching 100 miles on the car and he really likes it. That's not bad for him as he had a 69 HO restored several years ago and he put 270 miles on it but it took 4 years to do so. HO has since been sold.
Old November 27th, 2018, 02:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Sadness and Happiness

I'm posting this update on behalf of Brian.

Over the years we have become very good friends and shared many a great time. It's hard to let you all know that Brian has undergone a serious medical event that could have ended his life had it not been caught in time. A little over a month ago he started having trouble seeing. A visit to the optometrist didn't reveal any problems so he went to see a Dr. The resulting CT and MRI showed that he had a tumor on the right lower occipital lobe of his brain, which is responsible for visual processing and sight. The neurologist advised that the tumor was likely malignant because of the rapid growth, and suspected it was a Glioblastoma cancer. Brian has always been healthy so the rapid development of this tumor was significant and very alarming. He sent me a picture of the MRI showing the tumor and said the neurologist wanted to operate right away to try and get the tumor before it metastasized. The surgery was done several weeks back at John Hopkins and the neurologist said he was confident that they got 100% of the tumor, and as he had predicted, it was malignant and classified as stage 4.

The hospital stay was brief and Brian returned home to recover instead of being cooped up in the hospital. He told me he feels much better being there and being around his wife and family is a boost to his well being. So are all the well wishes from friends and family. Without those prayers and support I'm sure it would have been a much more difficult time.

Although Brian is undergoing oncology and radiation treatments he is aware that he faces a long uphill struggle, but is determined to persevere and beat this disease. Doctors have advised him that because they were able to get the tumor out there is a very good chance for recovery, but there is always the threat of recurrence. I know the family will appreciate any support and prayers. Unfortunately Brian is still unable to see properly, but over time he expects to recover his vision. I just spoke with him and he said he's going to go back to work, but will moderate his activity, and I'm not surprised as Brian is a highly motivated man and still sets achievable goals that most of us would walk away from. he's that kind of guy.

Please understand this is a difficult time for Brian and his family, so all prayers are welcome and I thank you for taking the time to read this and direct your thoughts to a truly fantastic man.

Brian's wife sent me an email (dictated by him) to let me know about the 442 Convertible he built. The car was recently in the Chicago Auto Show and won top honors in the Muscle Car Division with a total score of 995/1000 Concours Gold restoration. That's really amazing considering this car was built and painted in his garage over a 5 1/2 year time period. The owner was on hand for the judging and had to explain that the paint code made the car unique as the color was special ordered and 1969 that Nugget Gold was correct for that car likely making it a 1 of 1 production for that year. The significance of the award is a testament to the skill, dedication to detail, craftsmanship and pride that Brian showed in the restoration of this car. Here are a few pictures of the car at the Chicago Show, and the trophy that it won. I'm so proud of him. The car is going for sale by the owner, and it will likely be sold for much less than the amount it cost to restore. Whoever buys it will be getting a legacy from someone who is a master gear-head, fabricator and painter. Photos courtesy of the owner, sent to Brian and forwarded to me.

Last edited by Allan R; November 28th, 2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old November 27th, 2018, 05:13 PM

I remember watching his thread when this car was done. I saved it for reference to look back and the craftsmanship and expertise was truly exceptional work. It is one of the few threads I think about from time to time.
I feel very badly about Brian's situation and I dont know what to say. It seems the older I get the more people I know or know of are lost. I guess I have to realize Im not a kid anymore and life is fleeting. This site seems to have a similar age demographic to myself and it makes me think. Dont take this life for granted and do your best to not have any regrets. This ride could be over tomorrow.
I will be thinking of Brian and I will visit the site. God bless.
Old November 27th, 2018, 05:21 PM

This is very sad and I am hopeful prognosis will change for the better. New drugs and procedures are on the horizon. Brian was very helpful with tips and explanations with paint on my projects... I will keep him and his family in my thoughts.
Old November 28th, 2018, 03:43 AM

My prayers for Brian and his family. Unfortunately, I know all too well the impact of Glioblastoma. We lost our 9 year old daughter to this same cancer 20 years ago. There are new treatments since then and if Brian is being seen at Johns Hopkins, he is in the right place for top notch care. I wish he and his family all the best.
Old November 30th, 2018, 08:51 AM
Car Nerd

This is a great thread. I also will pray for Brian. My dad was diagnosed with glioblastoma in February 2017 and he had surgery and has undergone a lot of chemo himself. I just visited him in Michigan last week, so there is hope.
Old November 30th, 2018, 12:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thank you all. I know Brian will appreciate your prayers and support. He's just starting his chemo today. John Hopkins is looking after him and monitoring his progress.
Old December 4th, 2018, 02:11 PM

It is with great sadness and also hope after reading this latest installment , Brian has been extremely helpful as well as generous with both time and materials to help me continue my juggernaut , I have been skulking here in the background as I deal with life, which involved new duties and responsibilities at work as well as family duties , issues and even a crisis thrown in for good measure it all pales to what I just read and I will keep him and family in my prayers please pass on my best wishes,

eddie
Old December 4th, 2018, 04:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It is with great sadness and also hope after reading this latest installment , Brian has been extremely helpful as well as generous with both time and materials to help me continue my juggernaut , I have been skulking here in the background as I deal with life, which involved new duties and responsibilities at work as well as family duties , issues and even a crisis thrown in for good measure it all pales to what I just read and I will keep him and family in my prayers please pass on my best wishes,

eddie
Hi Eddie!
Good to hear from you. I sent you a PM. Check your inbox for more details?
Old December 5th, 2018, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Hi Eddie!
Good to hear from you. I sent you a PM. Check your inbox for more details?
Thank You Allan! Read and Replied , great to hear from you too!,
Old October 15th, 2019, 05:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The end of the thread. I'm so sorry to let you all know that Brian succumbed to a recurrence of the Glioblastoma last night with his family at his side. He slipped peacefully onto the wings of angels and will be sorely missed by everyone who knew and loved him. I count myself fortunate to have had him as a long distance best friend for the past 8 years. C.O. loses another wealth of talent and information.
Old October 15th, 2019, 05:49 PM

So sorry..., he offered advice in detail and offered help during my project. His suffering is now over, until we meet again...
Old October 15th, 2019, 05:58 PM

This is sad, I hope he is at peace.
His thread is a wealth of knowledge and talent and he effected many people.
Old October 15th, 2019, 06:06 PM

So sad.
His skill, innovative techniques, and attention to detail were an inspiration to hobbyist level guys like me and I'm sure may others.
Heartfelt thoughts and prayers to his friends and family,
RIP, Brian.
Old October 15th, 2019, 06:25 PM

I am so very sorry to hear about Brian I have been following him on his 69 project for a long time, my prayers go to his family and friends he will probably meet my lifetime best friend in heaven Ken Reese and they both will be hot rodding in heaven.
Old October 15th, 2019, 07:02 PM

So sad to hear this devastating news. I followed many of his posts and although I never met him he always seemed like a friend when i read his posts. My thoughts and prayers are with his whole family.
Old October 15th, 2019, 07:15 PM

r.i.p brian,may the lord bless your soul