1969 442 Convertible Restoration Project

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2012, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by 69442C
Thanks Eddie. If you do get them done this weekend, maybe you can catch Santa when he comes by your house and he can bring them to MD and slip them into my stocking.

No rush so don't go nuts trying to get them done.

Brian
I'll ask the fat man to do just that:
Old December 21st, 2012, 05:27 AM

Went back and have re-read the this thread from the beginning - if this build doesn't inspire you to not take shortcuts, nothing will.
Old December 21st, 2012, 04:13 PM

Thanks Joe. The other shop took all the short cuts and I had to undo all of that mess.

Brian
Old December 30th, 2012, 07:40 PM

Any updates Brian? Or just enjoying the holidays?
Old December 30th, 2012, 09:03 PM
GM Enthusiast

Originally Posted by costpenn
x2

Great thread Brian, waiting for updates!
Old December 31st, 2012, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
x2

Great thread Brian, waiting for updates!
Thanks for the request Joe and Darrell. I've been picking at the car a little and have completed a few things. I'll try to post some photos later today or tomorrow. I've been busy with some family matters, planning for upcoming house projects and trying to enjoy the holidays.

Brian
Old December 31st, 2012, 10:36 AM
NOVICE car nut

Thanks Joe. The other shop took all the short cuts and I had to undo all of that mess.

Brian
LOL , it makes you think that I worked there or something .
Old December 31st, 2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
LOL , it makes you think that I worked there or something .
Bryan, I think you may have been able to show that other shop a thing or two. At least you ask questions before jumping in if you aren't sure. They just plowed ahead with no regard to the work being correct or not. And in some cases, with no regard for the saftey of the driver.

Brian
Old January 1st, 2013, 01:59 PM

One of the projects that needed to be done was restoring the front air dam. The original one was pretty sad looking and what I first thought was primer on the plastic turned out to be the plastic itself. It seems the outer layer of plastic dried out, began to flake off and was chalky looking. The last photo I posted is of this original one. Just for the heck of it I bead blasted a section and the dead upper layer did come off.

Fortunately, I had another air dam from a parts car I bought about 12 years ago. And better yet, most of it was covered with undercoat. With a little careful bending, I was able to cause the undercoat to crack and come off in various sized pieces which revealed some very nice plastic. The lower edge of the air dam had this same dead, flaking plastic so I sanded that little area to smooth it out a little. I then gave the side that is seen a light sanding with 1000 grit wet paper and I sprayed it with SEM plastic/vinyl paint. The rubber from the original air dam was better than the parts car rubber so I swapped them out. I re-used the original staples but cleaned them up on the wire wheel on the bench grinder. I think it turned out fairly well.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
12 12 15 442C Air Dam 001.jpg (51.8 KB, 136 views)
12 12 15 442C Air Dam 002.jpg (57.5 KB, 134 views)
12 12 15 442C Air Dam 003.jpg (51.6 KB, 129 views)
12 12 15 442C Air Dam 004.jpg (54.4 KB, 128 views)
12 12 15 442C Air Dam 005.jpg (58.6 KB, 124 views)
Old January 1st, 2013, 02:17 PM

I also got an email the Friday before Christmas that Just Dashes had shipped the A Pillar pads out and they completed them sooner than they expected. They arrived on 12/28 and I was pleased with the work. Now I just need to get new sunvisors and the interior will be complete.

Brian
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:42 PM

One of the projects that needed to be done was restoring the front air dam. The original one was pretty sad looking and what I first thought was primer on the plastic turned out to be the plastic itself. It seems the outer layer of plastic dried out, began to flake off and was chalky looking. The last photo I posted is of this original one. Just for the heck of it I bead blasted a section and the dead upper layer did come off.

Fortunately, I had another air dam from a parts car I bought about 12 years ago. And better yet, most of it was covered with undercoat. With a little careful bending, I was able to cause the undercoat to crack and come off in various sized pieces which revealed some very nice plastic. The lower edge of the air dam had this same dead, flaking plastic so I sanded that little area to smooth it out a little. I then gave the side that is seen a light sanding with 1000 grit wet paper and I sprayed it with SEM plastic/vinyl paint. The rubber from the original air dam was better than the parts car rubber so I swapped them out. I re-used the original staples but cleaned them up on the wire wheel on the bench grinder. I think it turned out fairly well.

Brian
Brian,

Did a lot of what you had to do on the air dam. I reused the rubber part from my existing one, and grafted onto it a replacement platic piece. I saw an NOS one last year at a fellow CO'ers place, and noticed the finish was a lot more gray than I thought it would be, so I found a bumper paint (SEM Cherokee Black) that most closely approximated the color I remember it to look like. Came out so cool I used it on the radiator shroud - again, mine and the other used ones I had were toast and thought it was a fair approximation of the original unpainted color. Here's a few pics. Pardon the dust on it - it's been waiting for 14 months to put back on the car!!
Attached Images
IMGA0443.jpg (55.2 KB, 120 views)
IMGA0449.jpg (63.0 KB, 122 views)
IMGA0451.jpg (59.5 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by costpenn; January 3rd, 2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:59 AM

Thanks Joe and that did turn out very well on your parts. Wish the air dam I was working with was as straight as yours. I tried to get rid of the waves in it but I didn't have any luck. Your car is looking superb.

Brian
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:40 AM
NOVICE car nut

Thanks Joe and that did turn out very well on your parts. Wish the air dam I was working with was as straight as yours. I tried to get rid of the waves in it but I didn't have any luck. Your car is looking superb.

Brian
I have the same problem on mine , It's all wavy . Do you think heating it up a bit with some weight on it would do any good ? Like having the sun cook it all day or something .
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Bryan, I suggested that to some guys I talked with when I rebuilt my air dam. Plastic needs to be hot for pliability. Once it's set in place it rarely changes form again. You could sure put the plastic in the HOT sun (at least 85°) to soften for an hour, then put some heavy weights on it. Leave till evening temps cool right down to 60's to see if it will have any effect. You might have to just get a good used one to replace the warped one.
Old January 5th, 2013, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
I have the same problem on mine , It's all wavy . Do you think heating it up a bit with some weight on it would do any good ? Like having the sun cook it all day or something .
Bryan, I'm afraid not. I used a heat gun to get it nice and hot, wieghed it down, clamped it to the work bench and after it cooled and I removed the clamps and weights and it still was wavy in the same areas. Like Allan mentioned, I think once they get wavy and take a set for a lot of years it's not something that can be corrected. If it's not all that bad, just use it as is because no one can see it unless they crawl under the car.

Brian
Old January 5th, 2013, 08:41 PM

Wow Brian. I just found this post @ about 6:30 this evening. It is now 11:30 and a six PAC later. I am in awe and feel so inadequate. Thanks for sharing this great build. Cannot wait to see th next post.
Old January 6th, 2013, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sampson
Wow Brian. I just found this post @ about 6:30 this evening. It is now 11:30 and a six PAC later. I am in awe and feel so inadequate. Thanks for sharing this great build. Cannot wait to see th next post.
Thanks and I'm glad you enjoyed the thread. All you needed was a scantily clad woman (or women) there with you....and maybe you did....and you would be the man. Women, beer and cars....ahhh, the good life! LOL!

Brian
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:11 AM

Thanks and I'm glad you enjoyed the thread. All you needed was a scantily clad woman (or women) there with you....and maybe you did....and you would be the man. Women, beer and cars....ahhh, the good life! LOL!

Brian
Here, here!!
Old January 6th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

All you needed was a scantily clad woman (or women) there with you....and maybe you did....and you would be the man. Women, beer and cars....ahhh, the good life!
Body work
Bawdy work
Body at work
Body doesn't work (see def of 'aging')

I don't know - you'll just have to look them up.....
Old January 6th, 2013, 01:11 PM
GM Enthusiast

Glad to see you're back working on it Brian!
Old January 28th, 2013, 06:24 PM

Not wanting to be a pest Brian, but any news/updates?
Old January 29th, 2013, 05:04 AM

Brian
Oh silly me I thought it was the sanding,degreasing, da cussing, day bleeding lol. Dang I hate when I don't read the fine print.....lol.

Great job Brian
Old January 29th, 2013, 06:08 AM
NOVICE car nut

Brian
That's what I need lately . The woman is the only thing missing from the equation .
Old January 29th, 2013, 01:09 PM

Not wanting to be a pest Brian, but any news/updates?
Joe,
Thanks for the interest. There are a few things to report but nothing much to show. I haven't been doing much with the car right now since it's been pretty cold in the garage and there's been a lot of other non car stuff going on that's been taking my time in other directions.

I did get a set of reproduction sunvisors from Vinyl Specialties in Depew NY and installed them and I must say they are very nice items. Also bought a set of reproduction rubber floor mats (thanks for the heads up on the sale Allan) and those are in the car too. With those items installed, the interior is done except for the brake and E brake pedal pads.

The owner and I had gone back and forth several months ago about the tires he wanted to use and he decided on redwall radials. The car has 15" SSII's but there was no wheel for a spare. A search several months ago didn't lead to another 15" SSII with the bolt on cap so it was decided to just use one of the 14" SSII's he had as the spare. So the (5) wheels were restored and I was waiting for the owner to buy and ship me the tires. Just before Christmas, he emailed me and said he changed his mind and he now wants correct RWL repop tires and he wants the spare to also be 15". I reminded him of the difficulty in locating one of these wheels the last time we looks but he wanted me to take another run at locating one. Long story short I was able to find a pair of wheels and they were bought and received. Two of his existing wheels had a little straightening done to them so now I think I'll restore these 2 wheels that I bought and place one of the straightened wheels in the trunk for the spare. Maybe sell off the other one that just had minimal work done to the lip. Regardless, the weather is not warm enough to do this now since I need to sandblast the 2 wheels, prime, paint the rear side black and the front sides gray. It's somewhat of a PITA but that's what needs to be done. That work will need to wait until the weather warms up to at least 50 on a regular basis. I still need to get the bumpers installed, give it a final buff and wax, install the various decals and start to clean it up. Once the wheels are ready I can get the tires installed and they get it aligned and the AC charged. Goal is to have it ready to go by April.

Brian
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:11 AM

Cant wait to see her! Maybe a video for us Oldsmovoyers!!!!!!???????

Craig
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:31 AM

great idea....

I was watching Graveyard Carz last night, and I kept thinking the similarities of Brians threads to what they are doing over there, I would say Brians work and Knowledge base is equal to that in the olds world and would also make a great reality/car show thing , I personally am sick of the 1 weel resto's, unrealistic time lines, loud pipes, loud colours, loud speakers, big wheels, big budgets, big ego builds which have become the norm nowadays, I must be the only one happy we are at the last 5 episodes of west coast customs, I like chips cars but it is really like ketchup on a bad dinner, at the end of the meal you still swallowed some awful sH%t LOL.... c'mon Brian, with all your other projects you also need to do a reality show.... maybe we can get the southern boyz, and the jersey fellas to be guests on the show, we can call it jersey sho' enuff LOL

just a thought....
Old January 30th, 2013, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
I was watching Graveyard Carz last night, and I kept thinking the similarities of Brians threads to what they are doing over there, I would say Brians work and Knowledge base is equal to that in the olds world and would also make a great reality/car show thing , I personally am sick of the 1 weel resto's, unrealistic time lines, loud pipes, loud colours, loud speakers, big wheels, big budgets, big ego builds which have become the norm nowadays, I must be the only one happy we are at the last 5 episodes of west coast customs, I like chips cars but it is really like ketchup on a bad dinner, at the end of the meal you still swallowed some awful sH%t LOL.... c'mon Brian, with all your other projects you also need to do a reality show.... maybe we can get the southern boyz, and the jersey fellas to be guests on the show, we can call it jersey sho' enuff LOL

just a thought....
Oh yeah...great....that's the last thing I need! I appreciate the thought Eddie but I think you give me too much credit for what I'm doing. There's plenty of people who know far more than me.
Old January 30th, 2013, 02:08 PM

Does the expression ...Face for radio?????? mean anything?

I know s TV guy who is into Oldsmobiles! I'm just saying...
Old January 31st, 2013, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the update Brian.

Your client is right to go with those OE RWL repops. Nothing beats that look. Have a spare set of radial red lines or BFG's if you're going a lot of miles somewhere.

That comment about a lot more guys knowing more than you - you're either a really humble guy,or you dont get out much.
Old February 24th, 2013, 03:45 PM

It's been a little while since I did any work on the car mostly due to other demands on my time and also since it's been too cold in the garage for me to feel motivated to go out there. However, I did put in a little time on the car today and got the rear bumper out, installed the lights and license plate bracket and installed it on the car.

The repop tires also arrived about 2 weeks ago but I need to restore another 15" wheel that was purchased for the spare before I get the tires installed on the wheels. Just need the weather to warm up a little more so I can paint.

I started to work on assembling the front bumper and will try to get that installed soon.

Brian
Attached Images
Old February 24th, 2013, 09:39 PM

Outstanding Brian! She is a beauty! Is it running yet? Test driven? How about a video of that beautiful Olds motor sound?

Craig
Old February 24th, 2013, 09:45 PM
car guy

What is this cold you speak of. I was outside with a t-shirt since 9AM
Old February 25th, 2013, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by 442craig
Outstanding Brian! She is a beauty! Is it running yet? Test driven? How about a video of that beautiful Olds motor sound?

Craig
Thanks Craig. It runs but no test drive yet since the junk tires on the crappy wheels are at least 30 years old. Plus it's not my car so there are no tags. I'll run it around the neighborhood once I get the new tires/wheels on it and have it aligned.

Originally Posted by gearheads78
What is this cold you speak of. I was outside with a t-shirt since 9AM
What the hell Richard.... send some of that weather my way!! I'll PM you my address and I'll need you to pack as much of that warm weather into the largest box you can find. We've been stuck in the 30's for quite a while it seems and yesterday was finally in the upper 40's. The older I get, the less I like the cold.

Brian
Old February 25th, 2013, 05:47 AM
car guy

. The older I get, the less I like the cold.

Brian
I'm right there with you.
Old February 25th, 2013, 06:09 AM

Truly breathtaking with the bumper on, awesome
Old February 25th, 2013, 06:20 AM

Hi Brian,

Went back to pg 1 today to review the outstanding job and realize how far you have come and all the work involved. You are truly a talented individual.
I also noticed the date on the first pictures. Is it correct that you have had the car since Jul 2006?

Thanks for sharing,

Paul
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Truly breathtaking with the bumper on, awesome
Thanks Eddie.

Originally Posted by scrappie
Hi Brian,

Went back to pg 1 today to review the outstanding job and realize how far you have come and all the work involved. You are truly a talented individual.
I also noticed the date on the first pictures. Is it correct that you have had the car since Jul 2006?

Thanks for sharing,

Paul
Thanks for the kind words Paul and yes, the car has been here since July 2006. I have a full time job during the week (nothing to do with cars) so I only have the weekends and some evenings to work on the 442. But the time is nearing for it to go back to TX and that should happen this April or May. My wife has been very understanding over the last 6+ years and I have a lot of house work waiting for me. After that, it's time for a car project for me.

Brian
Old February 26th, 2013, 04:54 AM

Its easy to flip through pages of pictures and not realize the time but I do admire the skill and attention to detail. Well done. I would think the owner will be very happy with this car.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 01:02 PM

I got the front bumper installed this weekend and the fit is very nice. Took a little time to get it adjusted and to install all the support bars. I also pulled it outside for a few pictures. It's cold (upper 30's) and windy here today and I'm looking forward to some warmer weather.

The car needs a good cleaning but it still looks pretty good. Still need to install the wheel opening moldings, the side view mirrors, the antenna, the wiper arms, wheels/tires and undercoat the rear wheel houses.

Brian
Attached Images
13 3 3 Getting there.jpg (64.6 KB, 160 views)
13 3 3 Getting there B.jpg (63.0 KB, 158 views)
13 3 3 Getting there C.jpg (70.7 KB, 148 views)
13 3 3 Getting there D.jpg (67.3 KB, 151 views)
Old March 3rd, 2013, 01:34 PM

wow!! just read the whole thread, Brian you did a superb job on your build and got it done it great time! color and work look top notch. great job.

charlie,,,

Quick Reply: 1969 442 Convertible Restoration Project