1967 Turnpike Cruiser Project

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2014, 08:53 AM

Just got a call that the front seat is finished so am hoping to get that installed this weekend and hopefully get some pictures. I did buff out the hood last Sunday when some mild weather rolled in. I bolted it on but alignment is needed which is always a pain for me. It looks like the driver's fender needs to come out a little at the back corner for hood clearance and for sure the rear needs to come down.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 10:48 AM

heard it might warm a LITTLE.. glad your making progress....looking forward to pics.. of anything really as long as it isn't ground metal LOL
Old December 6th, 2014, 01:19 PM

A buddy came over and we played with the hood for a long while. We went up down, back forth, shims and less shims, loosen then tighten and finally got it pretty good. Had a chance to get some pictures of the interior, looks nice. Have more stuff to do for sure but its getting there!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CIMG4981.jpg (46.5 KB, 135 views)
CIMG4979.jpg (43.2 KB, 130 views)
CIMG4974.jpg (80.7 KB, 126 views)
CIMG4976.jpg (44.7 KB, 120 views)
CIMG4972.jpg (41.1 KB, 117 views)
Old December 6th, 2014, 01:21 PM

A few more pictures.
Attached Images
CIMG4970.jpg (40.7 KB, 110 views)
CIMG4967.jpg (54.7 KB, 111 views)
CIMG4966.jpg (59.3 KB, 125 views)
Old December 6th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Administrator

The reason your hood isn't lining up is the radiator support is shifted off to the right a smidge at the core support. Interior looks great.
Old December 6th, 2014, 02:02 PM

Wow!!!!

Joe, the interior looks amazing! Looks very crisp and clean. I love the white walls with the spokes, very regal! Top notch job my friend......
Old December 6th, 2014, 02:17 PM

looks sharp & classy Joe, well done.
Old December 6th, 2014, 02:30 PM

Thanks guys for the input. Its great when the to do list gets very short.
Old December 6th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I like, Joe, I like!

- Eric
Old December 6th, 2014, 07:50 PM

That is a nice interior. Hopefully mine will look like that color scheme some day.
Old December 8th, 2014, 06:14 AM

Stunningnjoe, great work
Old December 8th, 2014, 06:41 AM

Thanks Eddie and Koda, after seeing these Legendary covers I would not use any other supplier. The color match was dead on. Too bad they dont do 67 post car/sport coupes. I would have loved to be able to purchase those for the 442.
Old December 8th, 2014, 01:32 PM

Joe and you put the covers on yourself? keep looking at the pics nice taught covers etc.. Really Love it... and don't think I am not looking at the paint too LOL... I CAN spray Lacquer in the Garage LOL... trouble is where would I find Hurst gold
Old December 8th, 2014, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Joe and you put the covers on yourself?
No I had a shop do the covers, some things i would prefer not to mess with.

CAN spray Lacquer in the Garage LOL... trouble is where would I find Hurst gold
You could try TC global paint. If it has a code number they can mix it.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 07:55 AM

Not a whole lot left to do, until I get it on the road....after winter. Have to take care of the trans pan gasket leak and check the brake distribution block as it seems brakes are lacking and could not get hardly any fluid out of rear wheel cylinders during bleeding. I want to get a coat of wax on it as well. The neutral safety switch needs a little adjustment as well. I did get the repop front and rear headliner moldings which need to be painted yet. Guess its also time to start assembling the 330 for the wagon!
Old December 22nd, 2014, 06:04 PM

Geez joe. You do sleep dont you?
Old December 22nd, 2014, 06:17 PM

Geez joe. You do sleep dont you?
Haha, yeah I actually sleep very well!! Thing is, I have opportunity to get things done. I am getting up there (who is not) and friends of age or slightly older are passing on. I think, what already!?? I have plenty I need to do yet before its my turn, will have plenty of time to rest someday... and now am having so much fun I cant stop.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Haha, yeah I actually sleep very well!! Thing is, I have opportunity to get things done. I am getting up there (who is not) and friends of age or slightly older are passing on. I think, what already!?? I have plenty I need to do yet before its my turn, will have plenty of time to rest someday... and now am having so much fun I cant stop.
Enjoy life to its fullest today because you don't know what tomorrow will bring! Keep it up Joe!
Old December 22nd, 2014, 08:25 PM

I hear you...

Each day is a gift and tomorrow isnt promised... speed on brother, I love your builds, reminds me I am suppose to get sh% t done lol
Old December 23rd, 2014, 06:52 AM

Each day is a gift and tomorrow isnt promised... speed on brother, I love your builds, reminds me I am suppose to get sh% t done lol
Who are you kidding Eddie, your busting azz on your project.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by DLaz70OLDS98
Who are you kidding Eddie, your busting azz on your project.
Thanks Drew, but eventually I need to get it done LOL... Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel anyway.. ( probably a train heading my way)
Old December 31st, 2014, 02:15 PM

There is not a whole lot left which gave me the chance to organize and clean the workspace, man the crap I saved (useless) was unreal. I have to make room for the 330 wagon engine assembly. I also realized I have 6 engines in there, a 330, 403, 3-425's and a chevy 305 and since they are all mostly apart there is crap everywhere. I also got to see about the fluid drip around the trans pan. I pulled the pan and the gasket looked fine except for one spot that appeared not to have made an impression from torqueing....hmmm oh well I thought Im changing the gasket so let me get to it. I put the pan back on and once again laying on my back I snugged all the bolts and a lot of them were tightened by reaching and feeling. I fill the trans and the next morning saw a nice pool of trans fluid there!! WTF So I check all the bolts and they are plenty tight. I look and the area of the drip and notice one bolt is not making contact with the pan. I cannot tighten it any more so I take it out and hand start it and it goes the same never making contact but turning a few turns and then stopping before the washer meets the pan. I remove it again and look at the bolt and sure enough it is stripped. I find a new bolt and all is well... duh, guess I should not have assumed and went under and looked at the bolts good. Next on the list is the brake problem. I will order a new dist block as these seem like sealed units with no way to disassemble and clean.
Old December 31st, 2014, 02:49 PM

There is not a whole lot left which gave me the chance to organize and clean the workspace, man the crap I saved (useless) was unreal. I have to make room for the 330 wagon engine assembly. I also realized I have 6 engines in there, a 330, 403, 3-425's and a chevy 305 and since they are all mostly apart there is crap everywhere. I also got to see about the fluid drip around the trans pan. I pulled the pan and the gasket looked fine except for one spot that appeared not to have made an impression from torqueing....hmmm oh well I thought Im changing the gasket so let me get to it. I put the pan back on and once again laying on my back I snugged all the bolts and a lot of them were tightened by reaching and feeling. I fill the trans and the next morning saw a nice pool of trans fluid there!! WTF So I check all the bolts and they are plenty tight. I look and the area of the drip and notice one bolt is not making contact with the pan. I cannot tighten it any more so I take it out and hand start it and it goes the same never making contact but turning a few turns and then stopping before the washer meets the pan. I remove it again and look at the bolt and sure enough it is stripped. I find a new bolt and all is well... duh, guess I should not have assumed and went under and looked at the bolts good. Next on the list is the brake problem. I will order a new dist block as these seem like sealed units with no way to disassemble and clean.
It's always the little things that throw you for a loop. Glad you got the transmission pan sorted out. I can't wait to see the wagon build Joe!
Old December 31st, 2014, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Hmmmm 330 or... (3) 425's... Hint, hint, 425 would look good in the wagon.
Old December 31st, 2014, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Hmmmm 330 or... (3) 425's... Hint, hint, 425 would look good in the wagon.
You know how tempting it has been with that feshly rebuilt 425, HC, just sitting there on the stand but I want to retain the original 330 in the wagon, swap to a 3speed stick, add dual exhaust and have a nice cruiser. With the 425 I know I would get into a lot of trouble in a fun sort of way.
Old December 31st, 2014, 03:30 PM
Administrator

It would make the fun pedal... well... fun. But I understand.
Old March 11th, 2015, 01:00 PM

Had some time recently to check a few things that werent quite right, one being the brakes. I attempted to bleed the rear brakes and found the brake pedal would only move half way down and stop. This did not seem right to me but I am a novice with these 1st year front disc brakes. I pulled the master cylinder and bench tested and I could not push it more than half way so I condemned it and got a new one. After bench bleeding I ended up with the same scenario while trying to bleed the rear brakes. i found when bleeding the fronts the pedal had full travel but not the rear. I played around a lot and still am having trouble getting a good stream of brake fluid out of the rear bleeders. I may need to get an adjustable brake prop valve as something doesnt seem right. I also see I still have a trans leak problem. Fluid is dripping from where the speedo cable attaches and from the little adaptor there. I see there is a seal there and O ring that probably need replacement to cure this. With the snow about gone I am anxious to get this baby plated and on the road.
Old May 9th, 2015, 06:19 PM

Was hoping to have the car plated and insured by now but other projects have been getting in the way. The 2 trans leaks seem to be taken care of. The modulator O ring was leaking as well as the tiny seal where the speedo cable goes into the trans. The brake issue is starting to wear me out. I have just acquired a set of remanufactured calipers from Ebay/Cardone. I also purchased an adjustable proportioning valve. I hope installing these will give me some decent brakes. As said I was getting next to no fluid out of the rear bleeders even with button on prop valve depressed. The stopping action too seemed like I had very little rear braking. The fronts seem to work so-so but there was a slight pad hangup/slow release. Everything on the brake system was new except the calipers so we shall see...with those and the new adjustable prop valve.

Last edited by Oldsmaniac; May 9th, 2015 at 06:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old June 7th, 2015, 02:41 PM

So I installed the rebuilt calipers and see that the old ones were leaking. I also installed the new adjustable proportioning valve. I still have poor brakes. It seems like there is no rear braking. Guess I have to check some more things. This is frustrationg to say the least. Was able to grab some pictures outside today. Overall it looks pretty nice. Once the brake issue is resolved I can get some insurance and plates on it. I have been working on the brother's 72 lately so not much time for this one.
Attached Images
IMG_8766.JPG (749.9 KB, 95 views)
IMG_8771.JPG (1.88 MB, 78 views)
IMG_8776.JPG (676.0 KB, 70 views)
IMG_8774.JPG (1.26 MB, 71 views)
IMG_8772.JPG (974.6 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by Oldsmaniac; June 20th, 2015 at 04:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old June 7th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Looks awesome. On the brake issue, are you getting good flow from the rear bleeders? Are the shoes adjusted properly in the back to where they just barely rub the drum?
Old June 7th, 2015, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Looks awesome. On the brake issue, are you getting good flow from the rear bleeders?
I believe this is my problem and do not know the reason....
Old June 7th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Administrator

I wonder if the rubber line to the rear is blocked. Even though you said all was new, stuff does happen.
Old June 7th, 2015, 05:10 PM

Well I need to do some looking and check for blockages too...
Old June 7th, 2015, 05:14 PM
Administrator

I'd start at the rubber line and see if fluid is getting to the rear end. Go from there.
Old June 7th, 2015, 07:31 PM

Your TPC looks great, hope you get the bugs worked out soon.
Old June 7th, 2015, 09:36 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Beautiful, Joe.

I wish I had a brilliant idea about the brakes, but as Eric said, and as you would do anyway, I would recommend breaking one fitting at a time and checking for flow - the problem has to be somewhere.

- Eric
Old June 20th, 2015, 04:30 PM

Spent a little time with a helper on the rear brakes. I think I finally have some rear brakes. There was still air in the system after the new prop valve and line install. And also it seems one rear bleeder does not seal tightly at the threads when snugged down. Even though the bleeder was closed it would pull a little air in when pedal was released. For now I put some extra torque on the fitting and will see how it goes. Soon I will be headed to the DMV for some classic plates!
Old June 20th, 2015, 08:46 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I think I finally have some rear brakes.
Woo Hoo! Great!

T... it seems one rear bleeder does not seal tightly at the threads when snugged down.
That is the sort of thing that makes me homicidal.

Glad you're making progress!

- Eric
Old July 6th, 2015, 07:56 PM

Well today was a Hysteric, I mean Historical event. The TC made its first voyage on real roadways. Overall things went smooth but as usual there were a few "bugs" that surfaced. The brakes seem ok but on the way home from the 10 mile journey the pedal seemed a little lower than at first. I checked the reservoir and the rear chamber was half full. I need to check that rear wheel cylinder for leaks. I noticed there are no dash indicators when turn signals are switched on and the actual lamps flash very rapidly. A bulb or two may also be out. I overfilled the power steering unit and burped some out sometime during the trip. The engine seems fine but the idle was a tad high. The trans performed very well with smooth shifts. The bias plys performed well and the steering and suspension seems fine. The exhaust was quiet enough for my satisfaction. The car seems to slow down rapidly when coasting or lifting off the gas pedal, maybe just a quirk of the mechanicals. My biggest concern though happens to be a few blisters that were noticed in the paint. Flakes right down to bare metal. I will address this problem soon and hope no more appear. Maybe a mistake I made was not taking the body entirely down to bare metal before my primer was applied. Time will tell.
Attached Images
image.jpg (130.0 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Oldsmaniac; July 12th, 2015 at 04:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old July 6th, 2015, 08:46 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Nice going, Joe. That's a real pretty car.

- Eric

Quick Reply: 1967 Turnpike Cruiser Project