1965 442 4 speed convertible

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2022, 03:13 AM

Nice work Duane, quite a project, It is worth it !!
Old April 4th, 2022, 04:44 AM

Wow

Wow !! Nice work your going to want to save the four speed hump, how are the braces? It’ll be great to clean and prep them on inside por 15 or similar nice work my friend
Old April 4th, 2022, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Nice work Duane, quite a project, It is worth it !!
thanks, I totally agree with being worth it. Couple of my friends think I’m crazy with the amount of work I do for certain projects.

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Wow !! Nice work your going to want to save the four speed hump, how are the braces? It’ll be great to clean and prep them on inside por 15 or similar nice work my friend
the braces are pitted but solid, no holes, I’m going to do a light blast on them and do a coat of por15. I am going to por15 everything once it’s all back together, top and bottom.

Last edited by 65droptop; April 4th, 2022 at 09:23 AM.
Old April 4th, 2022, 09:54 AM

Just got word today that the majority of my legendary kit from OPG has shipped. Also ordered the stainless fuel and brake lines from inline tube as well. Just a matter of having time now.
Old April 4th, 2022, 03:53 PM

First test fit
Old April 4th, 2022, 04:07 PM

Schweet

Originally Posted by 65droptop
First test fit
It looks great !!! I also like por 15 as well
Old April 4th, 2022, 06:13 PM

Starting to fit nicely. I’m going to try my best to split the lip of the brace with the existing panel, lay the replacement panel on the brace giving more support, giving me more meat to weld having the brace under the but weld, and, it will keep the seem hidden under the brace.
Old April 6th, 2022, 12:29 AM

Well, I was able to get three sides trimmed in before quiet time, cutting and grinding metal is very loud, ear muffs are a must, and I have to let momma have her beauty sleep. I was able to get a nice lip of the rear brace exposed, the floor pan sits on the edge very well. After bed time for the misses, I spent the time cleaning the inside of the braces with KBS kleen, then I used the KBS blast as instructed, now I have a fan on it so it can be nice and dry for applying KBS seal tomorrow. KBS has tested out just as well, if not better than POR 15, plus KBS is what my local paint supplier carry’s. I “should be able to start welding in the floor after this paint dries. Looks like my timeframe of being on the rotisserie by the weekend will be in schedule. I also got emails today about my interior kit from OPG and 2/3rds of my kit has shipped and will be here Friday. Time to take over the spare bedroom with interior parts and boxes.

Old April 6th, 2022, 12:07 PM

Floor is fitted, I’ll have to puddle jumpers a couple of spots, but all in all I’m happy with the fit, I think my number was at least 15 times the pan came in and out. Lol first coat of KBS on the braces, it’s a nice rainy day and they said humidity helps it cure better, I should be welding tonight!

Old April 6th, 2022, 12:20 PM
Justin

Floor looks great and looks like it was a ton less work I may need to re-evaluate my sons car floor and think about a full section as well!
Old April 6th, 2022, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by oldstata
Floor looks great and looks like it was a ton less work I may need to re-evaluate my sons car floor and think about a full section as well!
i've never done one to know any difference, i just know that after looking it all over, the whole piece was going to be easier. i don't know about easier, but at least i know i have a complete new floor. if you decide to go the one piece route, and you do it the way i did with leaving a lip by the rear seat pan, leave about two inches so you know you have plenty of play. cut as little as possible when you're trimming to fit, if you have to cut it ten times to get it right, at least you didn't cut too much, and have to fill a few spots like me. i have one area that is about a 1/4'' gap for about 3 inches, so i am going to get a piece of brass to back up the seam, that way i'm not puddle jumping too much. i'm just waiting on this rust coating to dry, i'm kinda stuck until then. it needs another coat so it looks like i won't be welding tonight, it has been a couple of hours since my first coat and it's still a bit tacky in some areas, directions say dry to the touch so i must wait.
Old April 7th, 2022, 08:00 PM

Screwed in a few places, tacked in a few places. Momma went to bed so I can’t bang things in to place. Supposed to rain tomorrow, if so, my timeframe of being on the rotisserie this weekend just might happen.
Old April 9th, 2022, 03:39 PM

All welded up and grounded, a few more spots to grind, and the one piece floor will be done. Probably not going to make it onto the rotisserie this weekend, but will definitely be floating some time this week.
Old April 10th, 2022, 03:21 PM

Awesome

Just awesome !!! Nice work my friend
Old April 10th, 2022, 04:59 PM

Just awesome !!! Nice work my friend
thanks Eddie. We had our family Easter gathering today or I’d have on the rotisserie.

I’ve heard of Christmas in July, but I have Christmas in April. 2/3rds of my legendary interior kit arrived today. I like getting presents, even if I did pay for them. Lol new dash pad has a dimple, have to get on the horn with OPG to get a replacement.

Old April 10th, 2022, 08:32 PM
Justin

thanks Eddie. We had our family Easter gathering today or I’d have on the rotisserie.

I’ve heard of Christmas in July, but I have Christmas in April. 2/3rds of my legendary interior kit arrived today. I like getting presents, even if I did pay for them. Lol new dash pad has a dimple, have to get on the horn with OPG to get a replacement.

once dash pad is installed please give us a update of fitment and any issues. Also check back in after a year for a update of any possible issues once installed.
These have only been out a few years and not much feed back that I have seen
Old April 10th, 2022, 08:43 PM

once dash pad is installed please give us a update of fitment and any issues. Also check back in after a year for a update of any possible issues once installed.
These have only been out a few years and not much feed back that I have seen
will do sir. once the new once comes back, we shall see.

Old April 11th, 2022, 03:21 PM

So nice to get prezzies!! I’m happy to see the supply chain is improving! I’ll be ordering mine but I have a ton of stuff to do before I’m ready , I still have the garnet exhaust in original boxes lol what’s up with that lol
Old April 11th, 2022, 04:35 PM

she’s floating. A little more work under there than I thought. Some holes starting on the inner rocker near the front drivers hinge. One trunk brace was replaced, other one is going to need it. The nuts for the lower fender, inside the cowl, are just spinning, so the bolts for the lower fenders are just spinning. My original thoughts were two weeks on the bottom but that might be expanded.
Old April 11th, 2022, 04:46 PM

Wow

Sorry to hear about the extra work , but seeing your car on a rotisserie, makes me think that is going to be a life saver and make the work more pleasant for sure she’s looking good regardless
Old April 11th, 2022, 07:11 PM

No biggie, it’s still in pretty good shape considering. The rotisserie is definitely gonna save me, just makes me nervous having it hanging there.
Old April 14th, 2022, 12:38 AM

well, call me **** if you may, but looks like i'm getting a new trunk pan too. i got to doing some scraping of undercoating and took my needle scaler to the underside of the trunk and found several soft spots that were not visible before. i could see the rust on the inside starting, but was hoping it was just surface rust, it's all around the seem of the gas tank braces. when i took the needle scaler to the metal, it found several soft spots and created a few holes. once again, by the time i go patching all the little spots that need repaired, pull the braces and risk not having good metal to re-weld to, patch the seem at the wheel wells, i'd rather spend a little more work, a little more money to know i'ts right, and 5 years from now, rust isn't going to pop through one of the trunk braces. i found a complete trunk pan at ss396.com for a 64-67 chevelle for 500 bucks, it even has the over axle area, which i have some rust showing in both corners of that area as well as the brace, which is showing some rust as well. these quarter were repaired by someone years ago and they didn't do a very good job, so i guess it's back off the rotisserie and on to some tall saw horses so i can start removing the trunk. i will do this at the seem this time and save the butt welds for the wheel well and quarter repairs. here is a link for the trunk pan that is on sale right now if anyone else is looking.

https://www.ss396.com/chevelle/RTF-1...iABEgJEVvD_BwE
Old April 14th, 2022, 01:31 AM

Old April 14th, 2022, 04:06 AM

Drop offs?

Duane how are the drop offs? That attach to the pan? Might be an idea to grab them as well as typically they go before the pan. Nice work so far, not worth to be penny wise and pound foolish
Old April 14th, 2022, 06:26 AM

Nice progress and a very cool car!
Old April 14th, 2022, 07:38 AM

Duane how are the drop offs? That attach to the pan? Might be an idea to grab them as well as typically they go before the pan. Nice work so far, not worth to be penny wise and pound foolish
they seem to be good. i was able to scrap off the undercoating with no issues, but, with that said, i need to work on my lower quarters so i will try and find the trunk floor with the drop offs attached, that will make it easier to mate up the new quarter patches. one piece trunks are expensive as all hell though, it's gonna cost double that of the passenger compartment floor, is what it is though.

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Nice progress and a very cool car!
thank you sir. has been my dream car for many years. some want lambo's, some want shelbys, i wanted this, lol.

resourcing this trunk pan is going to set me back on my time frame, but oh well, i'll keep plugging away.
Old April 14th, 2022, 07:42 AM

[resourcing this trunk pan is going to set me back on my time frame, but oh well, i'll keep plugging away.[/QUOTE]
Ha funny was at a swap a week ago and someone had a floor pan and trunk floor there repro for a 64-65 Chevelle.
Old April 14th, 2022, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
[resourcing this trunk pan is going to set me back on my time frame, but oh well, i'll keep plugging away.
Ha funny was at a swap a week ago and someone had a floor pan and trunk floor there repro for a 64-65 Chevelle.[/QUOTE]

i kept looking at the picture, then going to the car and looking, every little nook and cranny looks the same, even the two little dimples by where the convertible top motor goes. if it weren't for edzolz telling me that he tried first hand, i would have been stuck. i have a friend with a 67 chevelle, i'm going to have him measure it when he gets home to see where the difference lies. just really sucks because this company had a 27% sale on the pan bringing it to 500 bucks. the cheapest i have found for a cutlass is 725 and it costs 125 to ship.
Old April 14th, 2022, 05:49 PM

I think the difference lies where the cutout of the pan for the inner wheel wells is.
Old April 14th, 2022, 10:31 PM
Justin

Peter ralley469 just went over this with the trunk pan I believe the chevelle is shorter in length if I recall I will see if I can find the thread

Last edited by oldstata; April 14th, 2022 at 10:44 PM.
Old April 14th, 2022, 10:44 PM
Justin

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...k-pans-162230/
Old April 15th, 2022, 07:14 AM

Peter ralley469 just went over this with the trunk pan I believe the chevelle is shorter in length if I recall I will see if I can find the thread
yea, i knew i read it somewhere, i canceled the order and was able to find one from jegs for the cutlass. now it's just a matter of waiting, says it will be shipped next week.
Old April 15th, 2022, 05:43 PM
Justin

she’s floating. A little more work under there than I thought. Some holes starting on the inner rocker near the front drivers hinge. One trunk brace was replaced, other one is going to need it. The nuts for the lower fender, inside the cowl, are just spinning, so the bolts for the lower fenders are just spinning. My original thoughts were two weeks on the bottom but that might be expanded.
for the spinning body mount bolts you can cut a u in the side and tack weld the nut back down they are just in a cage that tends not to hold up to any real torque. The trunk drop section I made my own just using a sheet of metal and a vice. lol f you have the extra funds harbor freight has a decent brake tool

Old April 15th, 2022, 08:36 PM

for the spinning body mount bolts you can cut a u in the side and tack weld the nut back down they are just in a cage that tends not to hold up to any real torque. The trunk drop section I made my own just using a sheet of metal and a vice. lol f you have the extra funds harbor freight has a decent brake tool
i think my trunk drop offs are solid. as long as i can get the terrible lower quarter patch panels off with minimal damage, i should be good. i am curious about the cage nut for the lower fender bolt. did you pry the metal back to weld the cage nut? cut the U, pry, repair, hammer the fold back into place? sounds simple. thanks
Old April 15th, 2022, 09:32 PM
Justin

i think my trunk drop offs are solid. as long as i can get the terrible lower quarter patch panels off with minimal damage, i should be good. i am curious about the cage nut for the lower fender bolt. did you pry the metal back to weld the cage nut? cut the U, pry, repair, hammer the fold back into place? sounds simple. thanks

cage nut, yes this is exactly what I did. You can clean up the weld after and it’s good as new.

Old April 27th, 2022, 12:02 PM

other than a road trip, i haven't done much the last couple of weeks, with spring time here, i've had to play gardener and if didn't tackle the yard, it will only get worse. with that said, i got good news and bad news all at once, good news is all of the engine parts are off being balanced and we should have them back to the shop by weeks end, he is thinking he will be done with assembly next week. bad news, right when i get done modifying my sand blaster pot, my air compressor took a dump on me. no one has a decent compressor in stock at any of my local stores, have to wait for one from tractor supply, since they are the cheapest for the ingersol rand 18cfm compressor by 300 bucks at amazon. home depot is out of stock, so is lowes. trunk pan is scheduled to ship this friday, wheel well panels will be here next week. i was hoping to get the passenger floor area done and painted while waiting for the trunk, that way i don't have to put it back on the rotisserie, but now i'm waiting on the air compressor to sand blast the existing braces and inner rockers. oh well, this will be the first of several set backs i'm sure, i shall carry on. lol
Old April 27th, 2022, 02:13 PM

Yeah…life pops back up and gets in the way sometimes…but you’ve made great progress quickly. Once you have time you’ll be whipping through the rest of it!

what’s that copper paint for btw?
Old April 27th, 2022, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rallye469
Yeah…life pops back up and gets in the way sometimes…but you’ve made great progress quickly. Once you have time you’ll be whipping through the rest of it!

what’s that copper paint for btw?
thanks. i try to stay on a project once i start. i used to be the type to not finish, but i've since changed that motto. it's amazing how often you have to cut the grass when you feed it. i used to pay a guy 45 bucks a week but his wife got a cushy exec job at the University of Cincinnati, told him to start enjoying his retirement from being firefighter for 30 years. i can't blame him for that so i just started doing it myself again.

the copper paint is weld through primer, my body guy told me to use it so i listened. lol not sure if it's actually necessary, but i try to do what i'm told when asking for advice from a pro. lol
Old May 20th, 2022, 03:58 PM

Well spring got in the way a little bit, but I’ve been churning on the car again this week. The motor should be almost finished at the machine shop. I Fixed the cage for spinning fender bolt. Finally got my new air compressor all set up and moved it to my shed and piped in the air. Much quieter in the garage and I gain a little space. I combined my old 60 gallon tank, with my new 60 gallon ingersol rand, 18.1 cfm @90 psi. Let me tell you, with both tanks, and that new compressor, I would have thought my sand blaster was and electric motor pushing that sand. It never slowed down while blasting @100psi. The bottom, and inner floor in the passenger compartment is ready for seam sealer. Going to start applying that tonight in hopes of painting this weekend. I’m using KBS paint on the inside and outside of the floor, and firewall. I ordered a trunk pan in April, still no word on when it will be here, so I found another company last night on eBay, they called me today and said they have a container on the ground in the states with a Sherman pan, they’re calling me back in ten days or less she says. We’ll see.

Old May 20th, 2022, 04:55 PM

That's some sweet "blood sweat and tears" Been there done that! Great work and patience.

Quick Reply: 1965 442 4 speed convertible