Cup Holder

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2012, 06:02 AM

Cup Holder

Is there any good aftermarket cup holders for bench seat 1972 Cutlass? Would be nice to have a combo cup holder and storage bin that sits on the tranny hump.

thanks
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:21 AM

Something like this?

Try this site:

http://www.cupholdersplus.com/mm5/me...ode=L_R-Hotrod
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:46 AM

Yeah thats nice...anyone bought one of these? How did it fit..are you happy with your purchase?
wow... $120 bucks it better fit cherry!
thanks
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:51 AM

Then again, you could get something like this for $20. It's more old-school in design. I found a similar one for about $2 at a garage sale.

Unfortunately, this vendor is in Australia. But maybe there's something like it in the U.S.

http://www.motoquipe.com.au/product....5947&sub_id=64
Old July 30th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Those holders look more like they're designed to fit on the tranny hump, not the seat.

If you have the A65 (split bench with center armrest) why not take out the armrest and have the cup holders custom made?
Old July 30th, 2012, 09:30 AM
delete

We used to sella lot of that type of thing for trucks. Check EBay to see what is out there.
Old July 30th, 2012, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Those holders look more like they're designed to fit on the tranny hump, not the seat.

If you have the A65 (split bench with center armrest) why not take out the armrest and have the cup holders custom made?
That's a neat idea...who would do that sort of work and do you have a picture showing an example?

thanks
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:52 AM

The OP was asking specifically about cup holders that fit on the transmission hump.
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I apologize. You're first cupholder would be the one I'd choose. Maybe pricey but has some very aesthetic looks to it. Let's see now. "You get what you pay for" would seem to apply when comparing those 2 cup holders.
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:42 PM

Good thread... I hate putting the cup between my legs to wrestle an 18" steering wheel. Especially since the seats are the only thing in my car that is "done".
Old July 30th, 2012, 01:16 PM

"You get what you pay for" would seem to apply when comparing those 2 cup holders.
I agree. Certainly when it comes to actually preventing the cup from tipping over when you go around a corner, the more expensive one would be better. It also looks more modern and has a concealed storage compartment.

But it is six times more expensive!

I actually have one like the $20 one in each of my old Oldsmobiles. One of these I purchased way back when (in the '70s, I think), and it was sitting on a shelf all these years. The other one I found for $2 at a garage sale.

This is the one I've had for many years. It's sitting on the hump in my '67 Delta. Note how it has slots for cassette tapes, too. Remember those?!

It also has some slots on the back right edge to store coins for parking meters, tolls, stuff like that. Between the cassette slots and cup holders are a few slots to hold things like a small package of tissues, pens and pencils, and a pack of cigarettes. Nowadays I put my cell phone in one of them.

The roundish slot between the cupholders is to store your Bic lighter. I'm guessing a Pez candy dispenser would fit in there, too.

This is the one I found for $2. It actually looks just like the $20 one above, and it makes me wonder how they can get with charging that much for 50 cents worth of plastic.

It's sitting on the hump in my '73 Custom Cruiser. It's more barebones than the other one and has slots only for cassette tapes. But what do you want for $2! It does have much more widely-spaced mounting thingies, which makes it more stable, and it really fits quite well there.

Old July 30th, 2012, 02:02 PM

Yeah I have one of the cheapy ones but I have new carpet and just don't trust my drink in it. I may end up getting the more expensive one..I was just hoping someone had bought it already and could tell me how they liked it...thanks for all your responses!
Old July 30th, 2012, 02:08 PM

I don't trust drinks in mine, either. I use them mostly for pens and cell phone.

What you really need is something like this that hangs off the inside of the door. It would be right there next to you.

Old July 30th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I couldn't bear to mount one of those on the door of my car and wreck the almost perfect finish on it.

YES! I remember the 8 tracks, or cassettes, coin slots etc. Never was much of a fan of the low cut cup holders. Especially if you bought small or medium when the holder was designed for large. The low lip of the cup holder is not the best at keeping a high center of gravity cup full of coffee from becoming a stain on those nice carpets. Even with styro-foam wouldn't give an advantage in the 'hold in place' category.

With most people going to the personal 'travel mug' even with the higher cost, I think that first cupholder you posted fits the bill 110%. The holder is deep enough to snugly grip the side of almost any travel cup and keep it stable even on a bumpy road. It actually looks more like a mini console. I like that because it will keep loose change/other sundries out of the prying public's curious eyes.
Old July 30th, 2012, 05:19 PM

Well I think I am going to order the better one. I will post a picture of it once I have it in the car.
Thanks
Old July 30th, 2012, 06:09 PM

I don't need no stinkin cup holder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
011.JPG (55.8 KB, 106 views)
Old July 30th, 2012, 06:39 PM

Another option, although not a transmission hump type could be the plug-and-chug cup holder which attaches to the ash tray area. I'm not sure if the Chevelle and Cutlass had similar cup holders, but I have attached a link for the Chevy model which MAY fit the Cutlass.

http://www.buickgn.com/classicconsolechevelles.htm
Old July 30th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

When I started driving, there were no such things as cupholders.

I developed the habit of carrying an army canteen full of water under my seat (I must have gotten the idea from hy grandfather, who always carried a bottle of something else under his seat). This was before the days of "bottled water."

I still have a canteen of water under my seat today.

Who needs stinking cupholders?

- Eric
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:29 PM

Didn't somebody on this forum once have the statement "remember when cup holders wore a skirt"???
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That would be 442much!
Old March 5th, 2013, 12:43 PM

Hello
Just New to this site and I am interested in acquiring one of these cup holders for my vehicle 65-Mercury Comet Caliente. I would appreciate if you know of anyone who might be interested in selling one or knows of where I might purchase one. I am in Vancouver BC Canada and would appreciate any information you might be able to share with me.
Thanks
CAS (casimiro@shaw.ca)
Old March 5th, 2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I agree. Certainly when it comes to actually preventing the cup from tipping over when you go around a corner, the more expensive one would be better. It also looks more modern and has a concealed storage compartment.

But it is six times more expensive!

I actually have one like the $20 one in each of my old Oldsmobiles. One of these I purchased way back when (in the '70s, I think), and it was sitting on a shelf all these years. The other one I found for $2 at a garage sale.

This is the one I've had for many years. It's sitting on the hump in my '67 Delta. Note how it has slots for cassette tapes, too. Remember those?!

It also has some slots on the back right edge to store coins for parking meters, tolls, stuff like that. Between the cassette slots and cup holders are a few slots to hold things like a small package of tissues, pens and pencils, and a pack of cigarettes. Nowadays I put my cell phone in one of them.

The roundish slot between the cupholders is to store your Bic lighter. I'm guessing a Pez candy dispenser would fit in there, too.

I have this exact one in tan - fits perfectly. It was bought in the 80's.
Most new ones sold today are not for such a rounded hump and would teeter on the top of the hump, defeating the purpose.
I saved some 6oz short fat (almost round) bottles from apple juice and they fit perfectly int he cup holders, and stay put around high speed corners.
I had it in my 86 for a while but moved it to the 72 since she gets driven more often.
And yes, it will still hold cassettes!
Old March 5th, 2013, 06:06 PM

I use one like this in my '68 Cutlass.

Clipboard01-1_zps31370114.jpg

Amazon Amazon

The nice thing is that it adjusts to fit different size cups and is deep enough to keep the cups from falling over on turns (although the Super Big Gulps I still steady with my hand on the top of it).

The link is to Amazon, but I think I got mine at K-Mart or O'Reilly's or some place like that.