Cleaning Convertible Top Frame...With Top On

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2010, 03:05 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Cleaning Convertible Top Frame...With Top On

Ok, SO the PO had installed a new top but the convertible frame was not cleaned,blasted or painted. Since my interior is all new I am trying to figure out how to clean the frame with the top installed. Any thoughts. Just looking to see how others would do it....
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:13 PM

Is the frame rusty, or just has bare metal showing? The interior will have to be covered as you work, and part of the cleaning could be done with the top unlatched and part way up, then you could stand for at least part of the project. Now, if the frame really needs a lot of sanding prior to paint I would consider taking the top off...Maybe LadyRob will weigh in on this.
Old December 1st, 2010, 06:47 PM

do you just want to clean it or paint it? Big difference
Old December 2nd, 2010, 05:30 AM

I rarely have the top up, so I do not really know what mine even looks like...
The few times it was up, I never looked up at it, so i still do not really know what it is like. I do know I feel more claustraphobic with it up...

I can remember cleaning the frame with mild soapy water on a rag long ago. The guys who did my top did not even do the storage boot, so i had to clean it as well.
If yours is real bad, it might be possible to put tarps over the interior, tape plastic all over the non-frame parts and scuff sand and brush paint the metal rails with like POR15 chassiscoat black. I think the frame was semigloss black. Spray enamel might work but you would first need to encase the whole car in plastic.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 08:04 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Thanks for the ideas guys,

Steven, The thought is to clean with the intent to paint depending on how clean it gets

Well atleast my thoughts on how to do it seem to be the same as yours guys thoughts. I will be taking the seats back out and cover the car then clean and scrub and will have to paint it by hand as I am not prepared for overspray on the top or the paint

Just another to do on the long list that does not seem like it any of it will get done this winter. I still wanted to do the suspension, quick ratio box, fuel and brake system, tank and sending unit so we will have to see what the priorities will be
Old December 2nd, 2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Olds luvr
I still wanted to do the suspension,
I guess we will both be doing that soon - but who will be first?
I will do my front after the first of next year, when my cruising season officially ends.