Sticky Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2018, 07:29 AM

Sticky Steering Wheel

I have a sport wheel 70-77 version that is really sticky and gummy , maybe from heat! Any thoughts on how to clean that off and restore it back to original condition? Thanks for advice
Old August 27th, 2018, 07:36 AM
Randy C.

You can clean it every once in awhile to keep the stickiness away. I use Super Clean (comes in a purple container) and it works well for my '69 4-4-2. I've heard of some people using certain brands of Wax and Grease Remover as well. This is a problem unique to steering wheels of that era. Some of them ooze; some of them are just fine.

The steering wheel will continue to ooze the stickiness unless you get it restored. There are a number of steering wheel restorers advertised in Hemmings Motor News. The down side is that it will cost some $800 or so to get that done. I just prefer to clean it every once in awhile.

Randy C.
Old August 27th, 2018, 07:42 AM

After cleaning it you might consider a steering wheel cover if you don't want to spend the money to have it completely redone. I have one of these covers on my steering wheel.

https://wheelskins.com/
Old August 27th, 2018, 12:48 PM
72 Olds CS

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ml#post1117650

OldsAl recommended meguirs #40 vinyl and rubber cleaner. I just got some and i can attest i just used this on my sport wheel and it cleaned it like nobodys business and its not sticky at all anymore. Its only been 1 week but im very happy w the result
Old August 29th, 2018, 09:24 AM

Thanks guys
Old August 29th, 2018, 09:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

This topic might have come up a time or two. SEARCH is your friend.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ort-wheel.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...el-oozing.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...im-sticky.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ing-wheel.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...cky-wheel.html

Old August 29th, 2018, 11:28 AM
Just an Olds Guy

So many choices.....do you have those links on speed dial??
Old August 29th, 2018, 11:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
So many choices.....do you have those links on speed dial??
Strikes me that I should make this a, ah, er, STICKY.
Old August 29th, 2018, 11:46 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Strikes me that I should make this a, ah, er, STICKY.
I was waiting to see if that would come up I was going to suggest it but decided - naaawww..
Old August 29th, 2018, 11:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
I was waiting to see if that would come up I was going to suggest it but decided - naaawww..
Far be it for me not to take the cheap shot...
Old August 31st, 2018, 07:01 AM

I use this cleaning conditioner and it works great. If you have the wheel off the car than put it on top of some newspaper, spray it down and let it soak for a few hours. Then use a soft cloth or paper towel and wipe it down. Works awesome and dry to the touch with no film. You may want to do it a few times.
Old August 31st, 2018, 07:05 AM

Old August 31st, 2018, 07:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Nice wheel. Is it OEM or repro?
Old August 31st, 2018, 09:26 AM

Oh no it’s OEM. I bought it in Gettysburg at the Nationals. It’s possibly even nos or a very early take off wheel. It was very sticky. Actually had a lot of gunk stunk to it from sitting around all these years in the seller’s collection. Cleaned up beautifully. I really like the conditioner/cleaner.
Old August 31st, 2018, 12:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Check the back side on one spoke should be the GM part number molded into it. I think it starts with 975XXXX
Old August 31st, 2018, 12:34 PM
72 Olds CS

mine looks exactly like Als after cleaning (well mine doesnt have all the pesky grain on it) but its nice and feels good not slippery but not sticky...
Old August 31st, 2018, 12:46 PM

Yes. Shows part number 9751836 just like my original wheel that it will be replacing.
Old August 31st, 2018, 12:50 PM

Retroranger. Glad you got good results with that product. I’ve been using it for 2 years. Amazing stuff. My brother applied it to his original very tired looking rad shroud off his 4 speed 72 W30 convertible and it looked like an nos piece after. Obviously clean stuff like that with soap and water first before using it.
Old August 31st, 2018, 01:05 PM

I keep a shop rag under the seat and vigorously rub the wheel prior to the first drive. That usually takes care of the stickiness for quite a while. Apparently the wheel oozes a bit during the heat of summer - it gets into triple digits in the garage, kinda like an oven.
Old August 31st, 2018, 05:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Fun71
Apparently the wheel oozes a bit during the heat of summer - it gets into triple digits in the garage, kinda like an oven.
You'd like my garage then. Summer it rarely gets warmer than 75 in the garage. Winter is another story... My wheel does get sticky over a time just sitting but usually a good cleaning with a cold soapy rag and clean rinse will make it feel normal. I'll have to see if that glaze is available at my local auto store. If it is there are lots of uses I can think of for it.
Old August 31st, 2018, 05:14 PM

Allan R. I just glass beaded my clutch/brake pedal rubber I’m going to install into my W31 (my clutch pedal has been welded/messed with). I let it soak in over night and wiped the pedal rubbers down this am.

Last edited by OldsAl; August 31st, 2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old August 31st, 2018, 06:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It looks really good but almost a little too shiny IMHO. I found using fine glass beads in my sand blaster gives really nice results and as you already know it doesn't harm rubber. i'm not surprised that the pedals came out looking that nice. Good job sir!
Old August 31st, 2018, 09:30 PM

I appreciate your comment on the wheel and it will dull down once and if I put it on. So will the pedals for that matter. It definitely dulls a bit over time.
Old September 1st, 2018, 12:35 AM
same but different

I wish Gm or who ever could have engineered some of this "gassing out" of petroleum residue to include some of the other interior pieces in the seventies. So many of them just turn to chalk and get brittle, yet this steering wheel has the power to stick like glue and other adhesive products for the next ten owners into another century.

You know what I mean.
Old September 1st, 2018, 05:42 AM

I put a spare sport wheel up on the wall in my garage aprx. 15 yrs ago. I took it down and it looks like one of those old fly tapes! I should take a picture of it, completely covered in bugs- very sticky. I used to clean mine with a armour all type cleaner/conditioner but then it comes back worse. I have been wiping it with lacquer thinner and that seems to work well.
Old September 1st, 2018, 08:34 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Maybe this is why the newer cars stayed away from rubber wheels and went to a painted foam or hard plastic. My 95 Regency Elite had the option of painted foam or leather wrapped. My wifes Saturn has its original wheel which is black hard foam and it's never been sticky a day in its life. My Sonata has a leather wrapped wheel, but will get grimy after awhile but all it needs is a wipe with wet soapy water cloth and it's good as new.
Old September 18th, 2018, 06:43 PM

I am curious to see how long my recently purchased N34 wheel (pics above) will remain "not sticky". I used that McGuire's product as mentioned above and so far it has zero residue. Dry to the touch. I will monitor and see how it works out. Can't bring myself to putting it on my 72 W30 convertible...or at least not quite yet. the wheel is just too nice.
Old April 29th, 2019, 03:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

So it's been awhile Al, how is the wheel? Does it feel sticky after being left on it's own for this amount of time? BTW, I haven't forgotten you. I will get back to you on those cruise parts.
Old May 1st, 2019, 07:54 PM

Curious about the results myself. I have this original 78 Sport wheel, and it has been kept inside for over 20 years. I will be putting it on a 78 Salon 2 dr Aeroback in a couple months, and would like to condition/preserve it the best I can.
Old May 1st, 2019, 08:03 PM

That cleaner condition works really well. A buddy just detailed his new bias ply Goodyear’s with it. The wheel was perfect and sticky free after sitting for 6 months. I just wiped it with a rag and it was perfect. I have since horse traded that wheel to a friend. He’s the new custodian. I’m sure he’s very pleased with the conditioner too.
Old May 1st, 2019, 08:07 PM

Funny thing about that McGuire’s product. I have since seen it in a number of friends garages and they all swear by it. No I don’t have any royalties but wish I did. My brother Brad used it on his original fan shroud and my other brother reconditioned his vinyl roof with it too. I myself have used it on the sport wheel, numerous cruise control servos, the eight track player rubber bezel, inner wheel wells (turned out really nice) and numerous other items. Anyways enough said.