Interior restoration paint

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2017, 07:03 PM

Interior restoration paint

I bought some paint/dye from The Parts Place Inc. outside of Chicago. They have been good to me so far. The question I have is that I bought some interior paint/dye from them. I haven't tried it on the vinyl yet, but I did on some metal parts (which says you can use it for). The problem seems to be that it is flat. There is no sheen at all. Anyone else experience this? Do I need to lay down some clear on it?

Yes this part was prepped as well.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0622.jpg (2.16 MB, 40 views)
IMG_0621.jpg (2.67 MB, 39 views)
IMG_0620.jpg (2.14 MB, 42 views)
Old June 5th, 2017, 07:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You don't want interior pieces to have a shine to them. The picture of your pillar molding looks absolutely spot on. I wouldn't clear it at all. Interior parts are supposed to be like that so they don't create glare or reflections to catch your eyes.

I've used black spray dye, and it also finishes like that. I wouldn't change it. More pics of your project?
Old June 5th, 2017, 07:29 PM

Allan,

Thanks, before I painted it, there was a gloss to it. After I prepped and painted, it is extremely flat. Unfortunately, the matching pillar was prepped at the same time, so I can't show the difference.
Old June 5th, 2017, 07:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Most of the interior parts were dull. The 'gloss' you're referring to might be the result of satin paint having been cleaned too much? What model and year of car? Most of the Assembly Manuals will have a special section dealing with just paint colors for exterior and interior. I guess it depends on how exact you want the restoration to be. I understand that pictures can be a little deceiving but honestly that one of yours looks spot on.
Old June 5th, 2017, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rick P. Schultz
Allan,

Thanks, before I painted it, there was a gloss to it. After I prepped and painted, it is extremely flat. Unfortunately, the matching pillar was prepped at the same time, so I can't show the difference.
IMO, you are correct. The parts in the interior are not that flat of a finish except, possibly, the upper and lower dash metal areas (and some other parts on hardtop cars).

I know what you mean by the part having some gloss to it as I've seen plenty of those upper windshield textured moldings in their original finish.
The "sheen" leans a bit more to the satin to semi-gloss range. You need to understand that most of these vendors are selling a "one size fits all" type product and while they may have a good handle on the COLOR matching, when it comes to details like correct sheens, etc.....they just really don't pay much attention to it.

That part, in the same color (assuming you like the color match), in a semi-gloss SEM brand vinyl/plastic paint would be more "correct" looking if you're trying to match the original sheens.

You can try going to AutoColorLibrary.com (TCP Global in California) and it's highly likely they can mix that color (assuming it's the factory color) in a SEM semi-gloss finish.

And, as you mention, you could probably topcoat what you have with a SEM brand or some other brand semi-gloss clear to get more sheen. Not sure what SEM calls their appropriate clear....theirs may be called "Satin Clear". However, be aware that some manufacturer's idea of a SEMI-GLOSS can be fairly glossy sometimes so you would probably have to do some experimenting with various brands.
Old June 5th, 2017, 09:00 PM

Allan,

Thanks. It's a 72. I have a the assembly manual and a Motor's as well. I'm rebuilding this for my dad in secret. The last time I was in this car I was 6 so my memory is foggy. I'm not looking at 100pt.

Rick
Old June 5th, 2017, 09:01 PM

Noted. Thanks as well 70.
Old June 5th, 2017, 09:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 70Post
IMO, you are correct. The parts in the interior are not that flat of a finish except, possibly, the upper and lower dash metal areas (and some other parts on hardtop cars).

I know what you mean by the part having some gloss to it as I've seen plenty of those upper windshield textured moldings in their original finish.
The "sheen" leans a bit more to the satin to semi-gloss range. You need to understand that most of these vendors are selling a "one size fits all" type product and while they may have a good handle on the COLOR matching, when it comes to details like correct sheens, etc.....they just really don't pay much attention to it.

That part, in the same color (assuming you like the color match), in a semi-gloss SEM brand vinyl/plastic paint would be more "correct" looking if you're trying to match the original sheens.

You can try going to AutoColorLibrary.com (TCP Global in California) and it's highly likely they can mix that color (assuming it's the factory color) in a SEM semi-gloss finish.

And, as you mention, you could probably topcoat what you have with a SEM brand or some other brand semi-gloss clear to get more sheen. Not sure what SEM calls their appropriate clear....theirs may be called "Satin Clear". However, be aware that some manufacturer's idea of a SEMI-GLOSS can be fairly glossy sometimes so you would probably have to do some experimenting with various brands.
Patton, when I looked at that finish the picture appeared to have a low lustre satin appearance. That's the same degree of "gloss" that I have on my 72 and the interior is still factory. Hence my comment about it looking correct. If it is a bit more flat than satin, I still wouldn't mind, as I truly believe it would be a benefit to reduce any type of reflective light. And we all know the car is not intended to be a concourse restoration, like the cars you build.