Window crank help

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2013, 10:17 PM

Window crank help

I have a 72 Cutlass. The driver window crank is not functioning correctly. I've had the car now for a month. The crank was not working properly from the beginning. It would spin around loosely without cranking the window. I found if I just pushed it in a bit, it would then crank the window. Otherwise, the **** hangs down. Now, as I try and push in the crank, it barely catches so it is definately time to do something about this.

Does it sound as if I just need to replace the handle? I don't know what the back sides of these look like. Or is there a mechanism inside that needs to be replaced? I don't want to start digging around in there before I learn a litle more. I know there is a special tool that will aid in taking the handles off.

Thanks
Old May 16th, 2013, 03:02 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 72OldsRocketMan
Does it sound as if I just need to replace the handle?
Probably.

Take it off and have a look at the splines.

- Eric
Old May 16th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Mr. Johnson

At this point you may of wiped the splines off the gear if you constantly pushed it on to turn it.
Old May 16th, 2013, 07:43 AM

I have popped off the handle. It looks as if the crank is worn out, the spline on the regulator actually looks pretty good. I learned a nice little trick for the handle. You can fold over a shop rag, wedge it in behind the crank and pull in the direction of the clip. The handle pops right off, without the tool. I found a crank at Napa that looks right and is coming in from the warehouse today. Should set me up. I guess I could pop of the other door's crank and make sure this works but it certainly looks to be the answer. Thanks guys.
Old May 16th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That ought to do it.

Let us know how it works!

- Eric.
Old May 16th, 2013, 08:38 AM
72 Olds CS

I read on here the repop handles tend to have less spline and as a result strip or don't work as well or at all. If this is the case w your new one any of the parts sellers on here should be able to get you a decent used GM one for not to much money. Last JY run I scored a couple, one for a spare and one to replace the one that inexplicably snapped the handle off after 40+ years of service .
Old May 16th, 2013, 09:42 AM

x2 on the repop window cranks. I bought a set last year, and ended up not using the door panel tension spring so the crank would sit deep enough to get a good bite.
Old May 16th, 2013, 07:42 PM

The Napa crank is working just fine. I do agree, it looks as if the teeth are not as prominent as the one I pulled off. Perhaps that was an original crank? The replacement says made in China while the other one doesn't. Regardless, it was a $7 repair. I may swap out one of the rear cranks, since I don't open those nearly as much. I think they look to bethe same size. I'm just glad I didn't have to deal with the regulator. Thanks again guys, and glad I could contribute what I learned about the using the shop rag to pull off the crank!
Old May 16th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Yes, it's usually the crank handle that wears. Also on good cranks with bad plastic ***** you can buy just a replacement plastic **** at your local parts house, colors are limited.