Upholstery & Carpet Replacement

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2010, 08:44 PM

Question Upholstery & Carpet Replacement

I need to have the seats reupholstered and the carpet replaced in my 1970 Olds Cutlass Holiday Coupe. Local auto upholstery shops recommend I buy the appropriate replacement upholstery & carpet and they will do the installation. I have found the items for my car at 1) Legendary Auto Interiors, 2) Year One, and 3) Original Parts Group. Legendary Auto Interiors tells me they make the upholstery themselves when you order it and their upholstery is better quality than that provided by the other two companies. Year One and Original Parts Group get their upholstery from PUI (Parts Unlimited, Inc). Original Parts Group claims their carpet for my car has won a best restored carpet award. I'm interested in purchasing the best quality and best fitting upholstery and carpet for my car. If anyone has had any experience (good or bad) purchasing upholstery and/or carpet from any of these 3 companies, I would be grateful if you would share your knowledge/experience. Any other advice or recommendations on sources for upholstery or carpet would also be appreciated. Thanks!
Old September 12th, 2010, 09:53 PM

I have seen the Legendary seat covers, and they have far better detail than anyone else.
Old September 13th, 2010, 03:52 AM

I had purchased a complete interior from one of the other venders mentioned above a few years ago and decided to sell it to upgrade to Legendary after reading up on there company. I am very happy with the quality of the mateial and stitching. They also offer some services like covering ash well and piston covers as well as headrest which could be a bit tricky. They did my ashwell and piston covers for $25 a peice plus shipping and will be doing my headrest in the near future. On the covertible, you only get the material that needs to be wrapped onto the ashwell and piston metal frames. They repadded the frames and painted them before installing the new covers. Like mentioned in the above post, you are dealing with the people who are making the interoirs instead of a middle man. keep an eye out for upcoming holiday sales also.

Dave
Old September 13th, 2010, 04:22 AM
GM Enthusiast

I bought my seat upholstery from Legendary and I am very happy with them. The quality is excellent. I have not replaced the carpeting yet, but I have purchased from Auto Custom Carpets in Anniston, AL in the past. They supply to most of the major catalogs and are excellent as well. Hope that helps.
Old September 13th, 2010, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by CutlassGreg
I'm interested in purchasing the best quality and best fitting upholstery and carpet for my car.
Legendary.

Originally Posted by fjross
They also offer some services like covering ash well and piston covers as well as headrest which could be a bit tricky.
I found out the 72 Supreme headrests were very easy. Just heat them up to make them pliable and they slip right on. Of course other years and styles can differ...

Originally Posted by fjross
you are dealing with the people who are making the interoirs instead of a middle man. keep an eye out for upcoming holiday sales also.
Excellent point. If you have any issues, they will make it right at their expense, even if it meand redoing them or reengineering something.

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
I bought my seat upholstery from Legendary and I am very happy with them. The quality is excellent. I have not replaced the carpeting yet, but I have purchased from Auto Custom Carpets in Anniston, AL in the past. They supply to most of the major catalogs and are excellent as well. Hope that helps.
ACC supplies the carpet to Legendary also. Nice stuff, but needed some extra cheap jute to make it sit flat (maybe it was because I installed dynamat first.)

My "interior makeover" thread may give you some interior pointers...
Old September 13th, 2010, 05:55 AM

I've only heard good things about Legendary.
Old September 13th, 2010, 09:14 AM

OK I know someone has an extra black rear seat cover for a 71 Cutty sitting around

And some black carpet inserts for my door panels too lol
Old September 16th, 2010, 06:53 AM

Legendary in mine. Couldn't be happier with the results.

ACC carpet too. The quality and fit are good.

You can't go wrong with Legendary because they ARE the manufacturer and they stand behind their product.

My results here

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nvertible.html
Old September 20th, 2010, 05:12 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback! Everyone's comments are very much appreciated. I'll be ordering my seat upholstery from Legendary. I have a follow-on question about sound deadening material in regard to carpet replacement. My current carpet in the back floor is only carpet with a jute backing. In the front this carpet with jute backing is on top of a sheet of gray plastic which is on top of a thin layer of jute-like material which is on top of the floor. I see sound deadening packages available from some of the vendors. Are these simply another thin layer of jute-like material, or are they something more substantial? Would it typically cover the entire floor (both front and back seats)? If a sound deadening package is added, is there concern of the new carpet not fitting well? Any insights or experience you might be able to share in this regard would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old September 21st, 2010, 06:32 AM

Welcome, Greg...
There are MANY sound deaderers out there - enough to confuse ya!
The factory included a few tar strips across the back and on the floors - crappy looking things. The thin plastic things you see are insulators that were installed if you ordered A/C.
The underlayment you see in many repro catalogs are heavy tar-paper pieces that cover almost the whole floor and cost $60-70.
They absorb vibration but do not insulate from heat as well.
So in the front, a thin layer of a heat insulator would be used to insulate engine heat out. You can use thin cheap jute with the foil top or the costly dynamat.

If you plan on long trips (over 150 miles or so each time), a quality underlayment/insulation package can add to driving enjoyment, esp if you plan to use A/C. Outfitting your whole car can cost up to $600.
If you plan on short trips or just show, then the less expensive one will be fine and still be better than what the factory provided. This will only cost around 100.

Either way, the carpet may need some shimming and the cheap thin jute will do that just fine. Total height of additional materials cannot exceed 1/2" (like mine). 1/4" is better and will result in less carpet shimming.
Let us know what your plans for the car are and take a look at the middle of my interior makeover to see how the full dynamat package was installed (a pain)...
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:55 AM
Land Yacht Captain

I been told by a number of people around me that they are using rolls of roofing tar for sound insulation on their vehicles. Whole vehicles done for under $50.

Never tried it just passing it along.
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:56 AM

That is a good idea Craig.
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
I been told by a number of people around me that they are using rolls of roofing tar for sound insulation on their vehicles. Whole vehicles done for under $50.
Would probably be a big sticky mess in hot TX. Would not stay on vertical surfaces after it heated up.
I could imagine the smell, too...
In the northern states it might not be a big issue...
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:19 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Considering its made to be used on roof tops which are many times black in the hot summer sun I doubt there would be an issure with the adhesive. I have driven in a couple cars that used this technique during the summer here in Canada which gets well over 90F for much of the summer and there were no noticable smells or fumes.

Also consider the fact its made to stick to rough surfaces like wood. It could only hold that much better on smooth sheet metal.
Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Would probably be a big sticky mess in hot TX. Would not stay on vertical surfaces after it heated up.
I could imagine the smell, too...
In the northern states it might not be a big issue...