Tach install questions?

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2011, 07:52 AM

Tach install questions?

I'm woundering which way is the easiest to installing the tach? Is it to lift the dashboard or could you get access from under, right by the steering column?

Thanks/ Emil
Old June 21st, 2011, 10:08 AM

No, no, 68-69 is different. You have to take out screws from behind. There is no front bezel like the 70-72. Do you have an OEM tach or aftermarket?
Old June 21st, 2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by starfire
No, no, 68-69 is different. You have to take out screws from behind. There is no front bezel like the 70-72. Do you have an OEM tach or aftermarket?
Ok, so I'll have to lift the dashboard or? I have bought this one: http://www.gmsportssalvage.com/?q=node/1317
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:02 PM

You don't have to take out the dash, but you do have to remove the clock/clock delete and install the tach from behind. I would suggest that before you start this, you get an Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual (available as a book or a CD on eBay) and/or an Assembly Manual (go here:http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...aldisplayed=21 ).

Also, you will want to remove the front seat(s) and console (If you have one) before you begin. It seems like a lot of prep work, but you'll just end up taking them out anyway unless you are the size of a 5 year old, so save yourself the time and aggravation and take them out, then you can lay on your back to work. You will also want a good flashlight and glasses to keep things out of your eyes.
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

You have to crawl under the dash. There's no way around it. In my younger days I would hang upside down with my legs draped over the seatback and my head on the floor. These days it's easier to pull the seat out first.
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You have to crawl under the dash. There's no way around it. In my younger days I would hang upside down with my legs draped over the seatback and my head on the floor. These days it's easier to pull the seat out first.
Hmmm, yeah I used to do that too till I ended up with a few months of dizzyness due to a pinched nerve in my neck...that was no fun... Its fun gettting old!
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Hmmm, yeah I used to do that too till I ended up with a few months of dizzyness due to a pinched nerve in my neck...that was no fun... Its fun gettting old!
X3 pull the seats
Old June 21st, 2011, 07:39 PM
Randy C.

I did it on my '68 about 6 weeks ago and I'll have to do it again here in about a week. Somehow, at 60 I can still contort myself into position with the bench seat in place. It's not very comfortable, though, and there's a lot of swear words before the job gets done!

Randy C.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 07:19 AM

Ok, I guess it just rolling up the sleeves and get out in the garage and get on with it!
Old June 25th, 2011, 09:55 AM

Have been out all day trying to figure out how to get the clock delete out from behind. It's not much space in the back. Do I have to disassemble the heat/ac panel?
Old June 26th, 2011, 06:05 AM

I wish you the best

I changed speedo to floor shift on my 69, looked like i had been in a fight, forehead scratched from heater vent, arm scratched like it was in a bear trap. now for some advise, I went to local hardware shop and bought a cheap bit set with a little p.o.s ratching bit holder and it helped but still a pain. the 2 srews on each side that hold the can were the worst. you will need to get a light that you dont have to hold.
Old June 26th, 2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by JimpeBoy
Have been out all day trying to figure out how to get the clock delete out from behind. It's not much space in the back. Do I have to disassemble the heat/ac panel?
It makes it a lot easier. Did you take your seat out? Once you do that you can really lay down on your back and get your head up under the dash an see what is what under there. Definitely need the flashlight as well. 1/4 drive sockets with 3 in and 6 in extender bars is what I use to get to the screws.