Should I remove old vinyl paint? if so, How?

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2012, 09:49 AM

Should I remove old vinyl paint? if so, How?

I working on restoring a dash, this vinyl was previously painted, should I remove the old vinyl paint? how do you get it safely off?

Last edited by hueveaj; November 3rd, 2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old November 4th, 2012, 08:12 AM

Not an expert but ADHESION is the main issue and if the old finish is not peeling and flaking and the surface is good, spray over it would be my choice. If the old is coming off, then the job would be to get the worst to let go. Heat from a hair dryer or CAREFULLY managed heat gun will soften vinyl and make it very pliable-unless it is very poor, and you can roll the vinyl easier to get more flakes off. I used paint thinner-varsol to prep my surfaces and it was gentle enough not to cause surface problems without eating anything....but always test first. I am aware of some vinyl primers- SMS if you have surface finish issues , pricey. Remember surface finish and simple color issues are two different things. I was very surprised how well vinyl paint covered a spot that was sun bleached and the surface appeared to be faulty but covered and blended like a new one. Lots of fresh clean wipes when prepping surface always.
Old November 4th, 2012, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the Inf

I agree adhesion IS the issue. There are areas where I can use my thumbnail and get the paint to peel, other areas not so much. I've tried acetone over some of it, the hard vinyl strips very well, the dash, some. I do worry about using something to harse and damaging the vinyl surface. I'll let you know how this comes out. It'll probably be a month or so until I do the painting
Old November 4th, 2012, 06:02 PM

Yes, I was going to mention lacquer thinner, but only to beware of its use, it will ruin your day in a hurry, or save it maybe and always risky. Very strong, as is acetone.. Softening dried paint with harrsh chemicals to remove it is fine if what is underneath is bulletproof.