Seat Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2020, 08:08 PM

Seat Recommendations

Recently purchased a nearly running 69' Cutlass but it has no front seats. Ive found the padding and the upholstery kits but not the seats themselves. Is there anywhere that sells aftermarket seats of a similar style? Its got the original backseat in pretty good condition so I'd like to try to match it. Thanks in advance.
Old July 15th, 2020, 04:57 AM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

if you're looking to piece original seats back together you may find it's cheaper to source them already restored - and at least in my opinion, preferable over starting with reproduction frames and working up from there. I had a set of buckets completely done about 2+ years back for my '72 from a shop in CA which advertises periodically through Ebay under the vendor name Galaxygirl1 - contact was Randy - 530 355 0437 - he even bolstered the seat bottoms a bit for extra support.

approx $2k complete ready to bolt in - all new 1st quality materials and factory repro covers over restored original frames. At the time it was cheaper than piecing a set together from scratch and they rock!.

if you're still set on aftermarket seat options, check ebay or Google (look generically under Chevelle bucket seats, or something similar and you'll get a general idea. Also check Summit Racing's website for aftermarket bucket seat options - they'll also give you a good idea of what's out there in any given price range.

I've done both routes, the factory buckets I currently have are the most comfortable I've come across for my ragtop.

Last edited by 70sgeek; July 15th, 2020 at 04:59 AM.
Old July 15th, 2020, 05:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Legendary used to sell complete, fully assembled seats for about $2400 a pair, but I don't see them listed anymore. You can buy all the parts (including the frames and springs). Originals in really poor condition still sell for stupid money.
Old July 15th, 2020, 11:24 AM

You can purchase all the seat frames through a couple of the online retailers. The Parts Place has the front bucket frame and spring sets for $325. Specify Left or Right. You can purchase the soft parts kits from Rambow here on C.O. You'd have to get the upholstery at one of the online retailers.
Old July 15th, 2020, 11:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
The Parts Place has the front bucket frame and spring sets for $325. Specify Left or Right.
Bucket seat frames for 1969-72 are the same RH and LH, as are 1966. Only the 67-68 frames are different due to the side release button.
Old July 15th, 2020, 03:23 PM

Good point, Joe. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old July 15th, 2020, 03:27 PM
72 Olds CS

the original seats command some $, cores are usually $3-500. The OE seats are fine but dont recline

you can find nicer junk yard seats if you dont care about originality or PROCAR seats are a good option too

the chevelle, lemans, and olds seats 69-72 are the same or similar w different seats covers.

Old July 16th, 2020, 12:03 PM
Ben

watch your local and surrounding areas craigslist and you can likely scoop up a set. I see them fairly regularly, priced from $200 up to the moon.
If you are patient, and quick on the draw you can still get good deals. Just remember core seats are likely JUNK no matter what the covers on them look like and will probably need spring repairs. Its not always that way, but best to assume it will need everything until you tear them down and find out for sure.

If you are not dead set on original seats- You can always buy nice comfortable reclining late model seats from a wrecking yard, order the seat cover inserts (the center of the cover with year/modeal unique stiching/pleats) and extra vinyl from legendary, then have a local upholstery shop make you custom covers that will look stock in the car. Honda accord seats are very affordable, comfortable, and a basic square design that at a glance will not look out of place (like seats with crazy bolsters and stuff)

Considering the costs involved with buying seat cores, and restoring the springs/frame- then installing reproduction buns & covers- the costs are likely to be about the same.