Rot, Pans, & Upholstery

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2010, 06:52 AM

Rot, Pans, & Upholstery

Spent a day completing the interior and carpet removal.

Well, there was more rot in the pans than previously thought.

Anyone know where I can find replacement pans? I could purchase some heavy gauge metal and "patch" the pans but I want it to be a correct fit for the new carpet. I know it's going to be under the carpet and no one is going to see it...just being meticulous I suppose.

The seat covers and belt retainer clips seem to be hard items to locate. Any advice/recommendations on a vendor/upholstery shop would be appreciated.

Last edited by macrover; August 22nd, 2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 06:56 AM

Floor pans...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
driver_side_pan.jpg (64.4 KB, 96 views)
driver_backpan.jpg (60.4 KB, 55 views)
passenger_side_pan.jpg (59.8 KB, 75 views)
passenger_backpan.jpg (94.8 KB, 69 views)
Old August 22nd, 2010, 07:01 AM

Seats...
Attached Images
seats.jpg (75.7 KB, 38 views)
IMG_6421.jpg (68.4 KB, 42 views)
IMG_6393.jpg (35.9 KB, 26 views)
Old August 22nd, 2010, 07:02 AM

I think you posted this in the wrong section.

I wouldnt worry about replacing the whole pans though, doesnt look all that horrible. Just patch it and it should be just as good
Old August 22nd, 2010, 07:22 AM

Here is a few places you can get parts.

http://www.opgi.com/product.asp?catmainid=3

http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/ocat...ID=4&curpage=2

http://www.fusick.com/cutlass.htm
Old August 22nd, 2010, 07:46 AM

Not sure if I did post in the wrong forum.

Being a newbie, I'm still learning my way around in here.

From what I'm gathering, I think the pans for 76-77 years are partial pans instead of the entire pan. The joy and excitement of gathering parts to complete a project.

Thanks for the links.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 02:39 PM
Past Administrator

No need to keep posting in this sub forum. We mostly use this for introductions and welcomes.

I have seen worse floorpans so don't despair.
Old August 24th, 2010, 08:09 AM

Have you used any of these places? If so how are they to deal with?
Old August 24th, 2010, 01:00 PM

I spoke with Fusick's about weatherstrips for my hatches (t-tops), my floor pan rust culprit. They have them, a whoppin' $599 pr for the inner main seals and $99 pr for the outer seals.

They have a few other items pertaining to my car and I'll refer back to them as parts are needed. However, they do not have the 77 seat covers at this time. Pretty nice guys, so far.

I called OPGI to inquire about seat covers for my 77 and they do not carry them, only the swivel buckets for a 76.

I have not spoken to the parts place but I plan on giving them a call within a few days.

Eventually, I'm going to order various items from either place.

...just went to three upholstery shops to get quotes. Highest quote was $2500 to replace foam (hand built) and recover seats. Seriously?!

The other two shops were within reason (one $800 and the other $550 to do the same work as the $2500 shop).

Last edited by macrover; June 8th, 2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old August 24th, 2010, 01:05 PM

Check out Steele Rubber and Soff Seal for weatherstripping. Have you contacted SMS about material for your seat covers? They make OE seating material. Just order the right material and have seat covers made at a local interior shop.
Old August 24th, 2010, 02:28 PM

Hey Olds,

Yes, I'm checking with Steele and SoffSeal. They tend to have everything except the hatch stripping but I'm looking into it again.

Did not know about SMS, will check with them shortly.

I was thinking of doing exactly what you've suggested. One of the interior shops asked if I wanted to recover the seats in vinyl, imitation leather, or leather. They also made a comment about vinyl being hard. However, they didn't say it's not recommended.

Heck I was thinking use what was original to the seats ( solid white vinyl) although I'm a little hesitant on that color. Dunno, light blue with some white accents or vice verse may look nice too.

I'll figure that one out...knowing me, I'll probably stick to a solid color.

Any suggestions on what material to use? I know it's a personal preference but as far as durability, longevity, and overall looks/comfort I'm up in the air.

Last edited by macrover; August 24th, 2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old August 24th, 2010, 04:34 PM

Just since no body else has mentioned it yet Legendary Auto Interiors is the actual manufacturer of the "nicer" interior kits that alot of the repop places re-sell. They may be worth talking to directly.

Also from what I've read not everybody likes Soffseal (too hard is the usual complaint). Those same people usually do like Metro SuperSoft.

Also Restoration Specialties seemed to have a bunch of kits for odd models and generic bulk weatherstrip last time I looked through their catalog.
Old August 24th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Gary

You may want to try grinding down the rusty area and cut out the really bad section and weld new metal in. Then maybe use POR 15 on the floor to prevent further rust. I replaced my floor and it was not easly at all. I bought the partial pans from TAMRAZ. My floor was just too rusty so I could not patch it.here is what I did

IMG_0016.jpg
Old August 25th, 2010, 06:19 AM

Kelvin, if you are going to have a local interior shop do the work for you I suggest cloth or faux leather. I had my interior redone locally and genuine leather is astronomically expensive. The faux leather looks really good and you can't tell it's fake unless you look real close. FWIW, I had my interior redone in broad cloth.
Old August 25th, 2010, 07:19 AM

Checked with Legendary for seat covers (no luck), Metro SuperSoft for T-top stripping (no luck) and I'm searching the Restoration Specialties catalog for various small parts.

Looks like the upholstery shop is my answer at this point. Fusick's will probably end up getting my $$$ for the t-top strips.

As far as my floor pans, I'm going to sand them down this weekend and search for some heavy gauge metal to patch the floors IF the area is not to big. Otherwise, I'm purchasing the partial pans for the rear driver/passenger area.

Gary - I bet that was a challenge to replace that entire pan. At least I can get in touch with you if I need to go that route since you've been there done that. haha

Olds - I think that's what I'll end up doing. Faux leather will be my choice, more than likely. I'm trying to keep things reasonable on my pocket, if there is such a thing when restoring a classic.

Last edited by macrover; August 25th, 2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old September 14th, 2010, 01:40 PM

has anyone delt with hydro-e-lectric its right here in my town and i see they have all the seals i need.i dont have the same cars yall got.but you can check type in hydro-e-lectric punta gorda they have alot of different parts worth chekin.
Old September 15th, 2010, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give them a call and see if they can assist me.
Old September 16th, 2010, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by macrover
I with spoke with Fusick's about weatherstrips for my hatches (t-tops), my floor pan rust culprit. They have them, a whoppin' $599 pr for the inner main seals and $99 pr for the outer seals.
$599 for rubber seals? I hope that was a typo......

...just went to three upholstery shops to get quotes. Highest quote was $2500 to replace foam (hand built) and recover seats. Seriously?!
I hope not...

The other two shops were within reason (one $800 and the other $550 to do the same work.
This is within reason. Are these quotes assuming you are providing materials?
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:10 AM

Nope that was no typo and I'll have to make that purchase when I get to that part of my resto.

As far as the other three quotes, I'd provide my seats and they would do the rest.

With the $2500 quote, the guy didn't even blink when he told me the cost. So being the kind fella that I am , I didn't even blink when I asked "does that come with a reach around too?!"....caught him off guard and he chuckled as I left the place.

I bet when some shops hear the words "restore or restoring" they probably go into $$$$ mode snappy quick.

Now that I'm talking about this...once I get my car completed I'm going to pop the tops on a nice cool day and drive it over to Mr. $2500 (simply to showcase my upholstery) and ask him if he's still in the reach around business....
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:30 AM

As far as the other three quotes, I'd provide my seats and they would do the rest.
In that case, 550 would be too cheap, and 800 reasonable.
Did they say what materials they will use or how they will do it?

Just my seat covers from Legendary cost over 500 and my shop charged me 500 to install them (and sandblast, repaint, refoam, and fix some broke springs).

I do not see your seat covers at Legendary but SMS in Oregon www.smsautofabrics.com might be able to provide material. Cost will be similar though.
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:10 AM

I got vinyl and faux leather samples from SMS. I'm going to take the samples to the two reasonable shops and see if they have the same materials. I'll compare prices between the shops providing material and me purchasing materials from SMS at that point.

I've shopped around for seat covers for 76-77 buckets and from what I'm gathering, they're not available, for now. Although you can find covers for the swivel bucket seats. That being said, the upholstery shop is my option at this point.

Once I choose the material and upholstery shop, I'll drop my seats off and wait for the outcome.

Did you go with vinyl or leather covers?
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:53 AM

Custom sewn upholstery will cost more just because of the extra labor.
Maybe that 2500 quote was for custom sewn leather. I got a quote similar to that when i was shopping around.

I went with the Legendary covers that they made themselves. It is vinyl, but is thick, soft, and matte finish. It has the look and feel of of the immitation leather used in low cost new cars... They have fooled lots of people thinking it was real leather...
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:11 AM

Cool. I'll just have to inspect the materials and hope for the best.

You brought up a good point. Neither shop stated if they would sew by hand or machine. My guess would be machine...I'll inquire about that.

I'm anxious to get things all finished up so I can drive my car.

Time, locating parts, and $$$ regulate the progress meter.

It could be this time next year or longer before I get things completed (hopefully sooner). I know I know....patience.
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:25 AM

I am sure they would sew the big stuff by machine. Faster and more uniform.
My covers were all presewn like this - just slip over and hog-ring!

Remember this is a big job and you want to do it all right the first time. This would be the angel on one shoulder...
The devil will be the one on the other shoulder poking the anxiety and "hurry up" at ya!
Take your time and things will go smoother and you will get a good quality job. Most of all do not cut corners, even it it means waiting for the next paycheck (or two or three)...
My seats and floor took about 6 months to semi-complete (adding cruise and power windows,too), and another month for door panels. I had another month of redoing stuff I did the previous year...
So a year sounds right, since you have some sheet metal repairs to make also.

Keep posting progress - a little encouragement goes a long way.
A job well done will make that initial drive that much more enjoyable!

BTW, what area of dallas are you at? OH - SW FT Worth... forgot...
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:55 AM

Spot on...I couldn't agree more! As you stated, I want it done right the first time (BEST as possible of course).

Great looking covers! Hopefully, I'll get a top notch upholstery as well.

Even though I want it to be done yesterday, as meticulous as I can be, it's going to be a while. Especially using the paycheck to paycheck to paycheck method.

I have a "to do" list and I'm sticking to it.