Restoring dash panel question...w/pics

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2010, 07:59 PM

Restoring dash panel question...w/pics

I'm getting started on the gauge pod cover restoration for the dash of my '67, and need some advice from those who've been there.

I've got a nice restored plastic dash assembly, but since it didn't include a gauge pod cover, I have to restore my old cover to match the restored dash. I got a can of Krylon Dull Aluminum based on the recommendations of others here and tried it out on a small section of my old dash panel to check the color match of the restored panel, and it's dead on...so I'm good there. Now I just need to prep and paint the pod cover and it'll be ready to install.

As I'm sure you're aware, the plastic portions were first plastic-chromed, and then the argent paint was applied over the top of that as needed. In my case, there are many sections of the argent paint which bubbled up and then flaked off, revealing the plastic-chrome underneath. The paint was thick enough that when I sprayed the Krylon over the top, it was very obvious there were two distinct layers.

Here are a couple photos to illustrate what I'm dealing with:

This first shot is the 'before' shot of my old beat-up dash assembly:

...and here's what it looked like after applying three light coats of the Krylon. (Click this to enlarge)

As you can see, there are tell-tale ridges where the original argent paint flaked off. So it's obvious I need to either strip this down to bare plastic, or at least be able to feather the edges enough to make it smooth.

Here's 'before' shot my dash pod...the small section in the middle is the only thing I have to deal with, since the rest of the dash is already done.

Not really having anything else on hand, I tried a little isopropyl alcohol and a paper towel. What's happening is that the argent paint isn't being affected much, while the chrome plating underneath (in the open areas) is coming off.

I tried a couple different Dremel attachments on the old dash assembly(wire wheel, sandpaper disc, buffing pad), but even at the lowest setting it's digging into the plastic. So I've got to do this by hand.

I'll be hitting the hardware store tomorrow to pick up a couple sheets of superfine sandpaper, and then will try it out on the old dash panel first, and see if I can feather the edges of the argent paint and get it smooth enough to paint...unless someone else has a better tried-and-true method.
Old November 16th, 2010, 06:13 AM

Keith,

Sounds like you are on the right trail. I have a '67 442 convertible that I am restoring but haven't gotten to the interior yet. My dash looks the same as yours and I would be interested in how yours turns out. I don't mind the slow tedious work just as long as the results are good. Keep us in the loop and good luck.
Old November 16th, 2010, 07:16 AM

Try contacting rroth01 a member here, he is a very good guy and he restores 66 and 67 instrument panels. He is a wealth of knowledge.
Old November 17th, 2010, 05:56 AM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
Keith
Give me a call.
586-556-1234
I can help .
Ron Roth
Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:41 PM

Thumbs up

After talking with Ron and seeing some pictures of his work, I sent my gauge pod cover off to him to get stripped. Since I'll be repainting it to match my current dash, I told him not to paint it, but only strip it down. I received it today and I have to say I'm very pleased. Not only was it stripped well with no damage, but he also stripped and re-numerated the lenses, all of the clips and screws have been stripped and polished and the backing plate has been soda-blasted and repainted.

It turned out great, and I now have everything I need to complete the instrument panel restoration. Hopefully I'll be getting started on this within the next week.

Nice work, Ron! For anyone else looking to have their '66-'67 instrument panel restored, I definitely suggest giving Ron a call.
Old December 26th, 2010, 08:50 PM

I would attack it with hand sanding with 220 grit etc..or 320 but something I was thinking about..I used to play with plastic model cars and to strip them sometimes we would soak them in windex and it would take them back to the plastic without destroying it.Im curious if that would work on something like this.
Old December 26th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by topstring
I would attack it with hand sanding with 220 grit etc..or 320 but something I was thinking about..I used to play with plastic model cars and to strip them sometimes we would soak them in windex and it would take them back to the plastic without destroying it.Im curious if that would work on something like this.
hose it down with Ez Off oven cleaner- & wrap it with surranwrap & let it soak for an hour or so.

The factory paint & chrome will peel right off w/o hurting the plastic.

Then you can mask & repaint as needed. hobby shop "silverleaf" would work well to replace the factory chrome if you cant vacum plating.
Old December 27th, 2010, 05:09 AM

Some great info. Thanks