Removing front seat cushion

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2014, 06:40 AM

Removing front seat cushion

Hey Fellas! I did a search and did not see anything on this.

On the wife's 75 Delta Vert, one of the seems split on the lower seat cushion on the driver's side. The rest of the original interior is perfect. With winter around the corner, I'd like to get this addressed while the car is "laid up."

I'd like to remove the whole front seat. But it's a heavy mother being a full bench and power. But once I get it out, is it possible to remove the lower cushion and then take that to the shop for repairs rather than hauling the whole seat?

If so, how do I remove the lower cushion from the seat frame? Never done a job like that before.

Thanks!
Old September 22nd, 2014, 06:55 AM
Ben

Remove the upper seatbacks, then the lower seat frame is a little easier to handle.

If you want a shop to repair the existing cover, then don't try and remove the lower covert yourself. Let them do it to ensure it doesn't get damaged.

To remove the upper cushions... Remove the plastic trim over the putter hinges... Remove the c clip or retainer clips on the hinge pin, and pull the hinge outward and off. Then with the seatbacl leaned forward tilt the putter edge straight up and pull outward. The inner hinge pin has a tab on it, tilting it upwoard and it pulls right out.

Armrest assembly just has two bolts holding it to the frame.

Hope this helps.

Ben
Old September 22nd, 2014, 09:07 AM

I didn't consider removing the seatbacks. Thanks for the step by step on those. But I wasn't planning to remove the cover itself. I was hoping to be able to remove the entire seat bottom from the frame and power mechanism so that ti would appear much like the rear seat bottom.

But it's sounding like that might not be in the cards.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 09:40 AM
Ben

gotcha-
My '53 chevy truck's bench works the way you are thinking where the cushion frames are separate from the seat base- but in these cars, the front seat lower frame is one big peice & the tracks/sliders bolt directly to it.
The cushion & cover are part of it & can't be removed separately from it, so the best you can do is remove the upper cushions & armrest.

-Ben