Mice in my seats

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM

Mice in my seats

Whew! Now I know why my car smells bad! I took out the rear seats to install a new convertible top and I found 3 or 4 mouse nests, and a half dozen dead mice in the seats. What a stink! I decided to clean it all up and spray them down with a deodorizer, but I think it made it worse! Now it smells like someone poured cologne in a puddle of old mouse ****. NO way those seats can go back in the car. YUK! Time to have the seats done... I don't have a "smell" attachment, and pictures don't so it justice.
Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I would try steaming them first.
Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by davek1661
a half dozen dead mice in the seats.
Originally Posted by redoldsman
I would try steaming them first.
Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM
Running On Empty

Had a member w/ a similar issue couple years ago who (more or less) slammed me saying "You aren't serious!" I gave up any intention of helping the person; maybe, you'll fare differently. Deodorizers attempt to "mask" (not eliminate) the smell - they do/will not eliminate the smell.

Look, this is a really simple chemical process requiring little (if any) knowledge of basic chemistry (I won't bore you w/ the details of the proteins/enzymes & the like of mouse urine & onion chemicals)

How simple is the process? It's basic "diffusion". The knowledge comes from knowing which chemicals/molecules/compounds interact/absorb with other chemicals/molecules/compounds.

Diffusion: Movement of molecules (released volatile [air borne] mouse urine proteins/enzymes) from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. Simple enough.

I'm not going to go into chemistry details.

The most highly active ingredient in onions is called Allicin (named after the onion Allium/Garlic family of plants). There are several other chemicals of some significance.

The exceedingly high concentrations of onion/garlic molecules/compounds creates an excellent foundation/bed from which to absorb high concentrations of dried volatile airborne mouse urine/droppings. Enough said.

Quarter a large onion, place the quarters in the mouse nest areas. You can do the same with garlic. You can also do the same with charcoal - granulated is best. You can combine all of them. Don't expect an overnight state of OMG it's gone. Do this over several days.

The "key" is to move the exceedingly high concentration levels of dried volatile airborne mouse **** to an area of very low concentrations of mouse **** (e.g. into the onions, garlic, charcoal). These substances will not "mask" the odor of mouse ****, they will absorb the odor of mouse ****. Deodorizers (in general) only mask the smell. Have at it - or not.