General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Mice in the Hoodpad/Motel 6

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2010, 10:08 AM

Mice in the Hoodpad/Motel 6

Went outside to check on the car on the weekend, and I noticed some evidence of mice within my engine compartment. Sure enough, Momma mouse and baby mouse can running out. I could not smash them without damaging the car.

The is the second time this has happened and I just pulled out the hood insulation and threw it in the garbage.

Any storage tips for the above? Does anyone make a vermin proof hood insulation? I do not want mice getting cozy. If they get inside, the wife and kids will never go for another ride!!
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:35 AM

Wish I had an answer for you. I have started and replied to several posts about mice and cars. So far, I've tried moth *****, pepper oil, dryer sheets, irish spring soap bars, etc., etc. NOTHING has worked. This year was the first year I didn't have mouse residue in either of my cars but that may be because I started killing them off with D-Con early last year
Can anyone help us mouse haters?
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:57 AM
car guy

Wait until you have to tell a customer that their $70,000.00 SUV has had mice chew on the wire harness and since they got part of the air bag circuit you can't fix it without replacing a complete harness at almost 10K in parts and labor.

This happens all he time and I was told by a manufacture engineer that this is do to the fact they were told to be more green. Turns out that rodents think wire jacketing made from a soy based product.... tastes like candy
Old May 18th, 2010, 11:50 AM

Rodent magnet wiring - what a marvellous idea! When did this 'green' idea take affect?? Geez...
Another discouragement for me buying a newcar...
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Past Administrator

As much as I hate cats they have their place if they are a good mouser and live in the garage with the car.
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:55 PM
GM Enthusiast

I had the same problem in my 63 Riv. They ate my hood insulation, underhood decals, etc. I set up a couple of mouse traps with peanut butter and got both of them overnight. Have not had another in 3 years.
Old May 18th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Crazy Canuck

I go through an entire box of fabric softener and have had really good luck over the last 3 years.
Wayne
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:13 PM

oldsca,

Your car must smell so fresh! Is that good for the interior only?
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Crazy Canuck

I put them everywhere - under the hood, in the breather, under the wipers, in the trunk, in the exhaust, one the tires, in the vents. My car smells fresh all summer long!

Wayne
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:13 PM

D-con in the four corners of my garage. Replace when empty, usually 2-3 times a year, occassionally get a smelly one to hunt down, but better than in the car.
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:30 PM

Make the car comfy for the cat you're going to let sleep there.
Old May 19th, 2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
D-con in the four corners of my garage. Replace when empty, usually 2-3 times a year, occassionally get a smelly one to hunt down, but better than in the car.
I think I may try the D-con. Those SOB's need to pay.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 05:15 PM

I've had them stash seeds in the hood insulation almost every year during storage, I just put up with it. They haven't bothered anything else. I mothball the trunk and interior, I seal the interior and trunk. They've also stashed seeds in the manifold heat stove. Took awhile to figure out that's what the burning wood like smell was whenever I drove it for a while. They even stash seeds in the valley of the engine in my Grand Marquis which I use every day.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:06 AM

Leave the hood open.
Jim
Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:27 AM

I have to agree with Old SKL 69...traps set around with peanut butter in them, and check them often; that seems to keep them fairly well at bay. Late in the fall, when it starts to get cool, is when I have most of the trouble.

When we lived in out the country near Seattle, I had a Class A motor home, and over the winter, the mice would take that thing over, build nests in the cabinets, droppings and urine everywhere. You can't find all the places they can get in those things. I set traps, put down D-Con, all the usual things. Wadda mess....ended up selling the thing.......after fumigating it. Up there, I also had another problem and that was carpenter ants, common to that area. Those things will literally destroy a wood-structured motorhome.
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by johnspd22
Went outside to check on the car on the weekend, and I noticed some evidence of mice within my engine compartment. Sure enough, Momma mouse and baby mouse can running out. I could not smash them without damaging the car.

The is the second time this has happened and I just pulled out the hood insulation and threw it in the garbage.

Any storage tips for the above? Does anyone make a vermin proof hood insulation? I do not want mice getting cozy. If they get inside, the wife and kids will never go for another ride!!
you need the ol bcket o water with a narrow necked glass bottle suspended 1/2 way out ove the water .make a little ramp up for them , ablob of cheese on the waterend of the bottle and the crtitters will be swimming laps in the morning..oh. polish witha rag the 'walk the plank ' end of the bottle.