loose windows

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2010, 10:18 PM

loose windows

I have manual windows on my 75 which are loose and rattle left to right while driving. Would appreciate if someone could teach me how to tighten? them up. any help is appreciated!
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:07 AM

Loose windows

Hey Truth,

When I first bought my '75, I had a mild case of 'loose windows'. The trouble begins when folks shut their car's door by pushing the window instead of door itself.

While my car was in the shop for another minor repair, I asked my guy to take a look at it. What he found was to be expected. Several bolts needed to be tightened(with Loctite) and he replaced the front sway bar bushings(Moog) and the situation greatly improved. I also received a stern lecture on proper door close technique which I am still practicing.

I hope this info helps...Jerry
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

[quote=wazoo;149314...and he replaced the front sway bar bushings(Moog) and the situation greatly improved. [/quote]

I guess I'm more than a little curious as to how the front sway bar bushings affect the door windows...

Seriously, look for loose fasteners in the window mechanism, but also look for loose or broken plastic rollers. Also, worn weatherstripping can contribute to the problem.
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:19 AM

the hows and whys?

My mechanic's reasoning : The 'loose' front end exacerbated the window problem every time I went over bumps in the road. I don't think he meant it to stand alone as a solution for the windows; rather, he wanted to reduce vibrations which were contributing to the window situation.

His experience as a mechanic dates back to the late '50s and his work on my car has always impressed me.

Thanks...Jerry
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:33 PM

thanks for the replies, good to know its most likely a simple adjustment and not anything dramatic. I found that its just the drivers side window which exibits the problem, and the door panel on that side isnt in the greatest shape either. Im at a loss at how to remove the door panel without doing permanent damage, so ill probably wait until I find a shop to get that fixed, as well as my loose steering colum. Wondering how much the adjustment ran you wazoo? or did your mechanic comp you?
Old February 17th, 2010, 09:05 AM

loose windows

Hey Truth...I pulled the invoice for the work done to my car and its difficult to get a specific dollar amount for fixing the loose window itself. The reason is that I was also getting Dynamat installed that day.

Here's how he described it: Disassembled the driver's door. Repaired the problem with the window being out of adjustment. Tightened loose pieces with Loctite. Installed a layer of Dynamat. Adjusted the door striker. Door reassembled. Total: $210.00(includes labor)

My shop is known for quality work at premium prices. I didn't question the amount then and the door works as new, albeit a tad heavier because of the Dynamat.

Hope this helps...Jerry
Old February 17th, 2010, 10:58 AM

Yep, now I have a ballpark figure to work with, appreciate the help waz.