Sun Visor Bracket Question

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2010, 04:52 AM

Sun Visor Bracket Question

I ran into this issue while replacing the sun visor brackets on my car (72 Cutlass Convert.). When the new bracket is installed in the windshield frame it "bottoms out" on the top inside of the frame. There is about a 1/8" gap between the mounting base and where it mounts on the frame. It is a TWE (Ted Williams Enterprises) part purchased through Year One. They said they have not heard of this complaint and have had no returns. The other ones they have in stock are the same.

Two differences are the size of the spring keeper washer and the overall depth of the piece. I could grind the washer down but I'm concerned about the depth (and throwing away a Benjamin).

Have any of you run into this problem?
Old February 3rd, 2010, 06:42 PM

Do NOT grind on it unless you are absolutely sure it will fit afterwards....otherwise, you may ruin your chances of returning it.

I'd send the things back and buy them from some other vendor after first double checking their return policy, etc. Try Fusick....you'll get someone on the phone that can probably answer your question instead of the "tech help" people at the larger vendors that just read the description from the same catalog you have.

Also....make sure you have the thing oriented correctly in the holes on the windshield frame. You probably already checked but if not, it's worth a shot. I don't know if that will solve the problem or not.

Last edited by 70Post; February 3rd, 2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 07:50 PM

The guys at Fusick might be even so kind as to email you a picture of theirs.
I run into issues like this a lot with my car. I order repro parts, they do not fit like these and I am always the first to complain, too.......
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

It appears to me that the repro is not assembled correctly. Note in your second photo how the cylindrical feature inside the spring has a gap between the end of it and the washer. The original does not, and if the washer was bottomed on the cylindrical part, the height of the two would be the same. This particular one may have been assembled incorrectly, or it may be a systemic problem with this vendor.
Old February 4th, 2010, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the input.

I took my brackets to Year One, we compared them with another pair they had in stock and they are the same. I got my $ back.

I called Fusick and they sell the same one (TWE) and say they have had no problems or returns..... Lucky me.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
It appears to me that the repro is not assembled correctly. This particular one may have been assembled incorrectly, or it may be a systemic problem with this vendor.
Joe, i agree. The only possibility I can think of (short of me having a one off, super rare windshield frame, ha) is that TWE had a bad run of these and Year One, thus me, got them. Probably more out there somewhere...

I'll let ya'll know when/where I find some good ones...
Old February 4th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by we jeep inn
Joe, i agree. The only possibility I can think of (short of me having a one off, super rare windshield frame, ha) is that TWE had a bad run of these and Year One, thus me, got them. Probably more out there somewhere...
That would be my guess.
Old February 20th, 2010, 07:19 PM

Fyi

FYI, I purchased a set from OPGI and they are the same dimensions as the original. Fit perfectly and almost half the cost....