Loose interior door handle

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2008, 04:43 AM

Loose interior door handle

My 71 Olds driver's side interior door handle seems to be loose and maybe failing. I can pull the lever all the way up and the door does not open. I have to give it a shove with my left shoulder for it to open. The door works perfectly from the exterior door handle. I have access to some parts but I have to travel a ways to purchase. Has anybody here had this problem? Do you think it is the latch mechanism that hits the striker? Could it be out of adjustment? Could it be the interior door handle mechanism? I just want to replace the right part without buying what I don't need.
Old March 25th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Past Administrator

It would be difficult to say without some investigation. If you can remove the handle, then the door panel and take a photo of it that would help. Right off the bat, I can think of this, the handle is splined and pressed onto the shaft and is retained with a C clip; if the shaft/handle or both have been galled then the handle would lift as you said. However, pushing the door with your shoulder and opening it indicates that the latch mechanism isn't holding the door closed well. You may have more than one problem. A photo would really help out. In the meantime, look for abnormal wear on the striker bolt and any other mechanisms once you get that door panel off.
Old March 25th, 2008, 06:13 AM

My '72 had this problem almost to the point I was having to use the outside handle.
Pull the door handle off and lube everthing well - all linkages and mechanisms; whatever moves in there (except the window guide post).

Since it is apart, you should get some new door handle mechanisms (CH26676) from OPG (they are repros but they fit and work perfectly.) They cost about 50 bucks for a pair and OPG is the only place I have seen them. (Of course this is assuming your Olds is an A-body).
Also while it is apart, it would be a good time to clean out the door and apply POR15 to prevent future rust.

My mechanism on the left side had a broken spring and was extremely loose. I completed the door overhaul and added power locks, so I got a good learning experience. My left door pops open now, just like new, and closes solidly. I need to do the right door next.

If none of this helps, the main latch assembly may need replacing.
Hope this helps...
Old March 25th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

I will add that what you may be seeing is worn hinge pins. As the pins wear and the door sags, the latch rubs on the striker. Even with a properly-functioning handle mechanism you may need to "shoulder" the door open. Inspect the striker bolt for unusual wear and also with the door open, try to move it up and down while looking for slop in the hinges.
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:58 AM

Thanks guys, I will take all your advice and let you know how I make out.
Old April 9th, 2008, 05:12 PM

Fixed

Thanks guys, I fixed the door and it turned out to be the door handle mechanism. I was able to get one off another car.