Leather Upholstery

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
Gary

Leather Upholstery

Has anyone had their their 70-72 Cutlass seats redone in leather? If so do you have any pictures? I know that the regular pattern probably cant be done is leather even though Legendary said they can get them done close to the original pattern.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:46 PM
Oldsdruid

You talking about the stitching pattern or the actual grain of the material? There is no good reason any competent trim guy can't stitch leather to match the factory vinyl's stitching pattern. Leather upholstery stitching in newer cars is no less involved than 70-72 era cars.

Now if you're trying to duplicate the pinpoint or diamond point vinyl grain pattern, that might get expensive.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 04:09 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by rocketraider
You talking about the stitching pattern or the actual grain of the material? There is no good reason any competent trim guy can't stitch leather to match the factory vinyl's stitching pattern. Leather upholstery stitching in newer cars is no less involved than 70-72 era cars.

Now if you're trying to duplicate the pinpoint or diamond point vinyl grain pattern, that might get expensive.
I have gone to 3 different upholstery shops here and neither one of them can duplicate the stitching of the original seats. I don't really care about the grain.I would prefer to keep the stitching as is .My present seats are in good shape but I think I want to change them to leather and wanted to see if anyone had redone theirs in leather.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 04:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

leather vs naugahyde

Originally Posted by gh5168
I have gone to 3 different upholstery shops here and neither one of them can duplicate the stitching of the original seats. I don't really care about the grain.I would prefer to keep the stitching as is .My present seats are in good shape but I think I want to change them to leather and wanted to see if anyone had redone theirs in leather.
IMHO, if none of them can duplicate the stitching pattern that Olds put out in 72? They're not worth going to. I've seen cars on evilbay that have been done in leather. They were able to match patterns and stitching, I just didn't care for the motif that was created by mixiing leather colors and textures. But, that's a personal touch and it's not my place to criticize it. Just that it won't happen to mine.

Original material on a 72 is Madrid naughahyde - it's not straight vinyl. Its a surface-coated fabric made for automotive soft trim and later for furniture by the U.S. Rubber Co., later Uniroyal. I don't know how many people have sat in my car and commented about how nice the leather seats are. I guess that just goes to show the quality of naughahyde compared to straight vinyl. BTW, my seats in my 72 Cutlass are original and still look absolutely perfect. The naughahyde is still supple enough that it won't crack when you sit on it. Not bad for a 37 year old original interior.

2008_0314MILLER0022-Copy.jpg?t=1261614421
2008_0314MILLER0023.jpg?t=1261614332