Leather Interior in 1967

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2009, 05:23 AM
...should get a life....

Question Leather Interior in 1967

Just curious.....of all the '67 Cutlass Supreme Convertibles I checked out before buying one, the one I bought was the only one with leather interior.
Was leather an option in these cars or did someone have the seats recovered after the event?
Old September 8th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Trying to remember member

No leather in any '67 Olds. Last of the leather in the '60s I believe was the '65 Starfire.
Old September 8th, 2009, 07:12 AM

So, is the interior in good condition? Post pics please.
Old September 8th, 2009, 03:37 PM
...should get a life....

Leather Interior

Originally Posted by Olds64
So, is the interior in good condition? Post pics please.

Looks OK from the pics. Haven't seen the car yet. It's still in Greenville S.C and I'm down here in Orangeville N.S.W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
olds 67 005.jpg (68.3 KB, 56 views)
olds 67 004.jpg (77.6 KB, 43 views)
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:18 PM

Nice! Triple yellow?
Pattern looks correct. Are you sure it is leather?
Old September 8th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wmachine
Nice! Triple yellow?
Pattern looks correct. Are you sure it is leather?
Pleather?

They look like vinyl? If they're leather the trim guy was really good.

The car is a real beauty by the way.
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:18 PM
...should get a life....

Leather Interior

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Pleather?

They look like vinyl? If they're leather the trim guy was really good.

The car is a real beauty by the way.
Now I'm worried...or maybe not. I've bought this car sight unseen and have relied on pics, seller description (he has been very thorough) and good luck as you do when buying from overseas. He definitely said the seats were leather, a little faded but being leather could be redyed. The passenger seat appears to have the sort of wear / light cracking you'd associate with leather. The interior is supposedly original...in fact the whole car is (except for the wheels) Paint is supposedly original laquer (has minor cracking), no rust bubbles or dings anywhere, and the engine too. But the car looks too clean to be original. Even the carpets are supposed to be the originals.
Its not a tripple yellow (white top). But it does look nice. More pics fyi.
Attached Images
olds 67 006.jpg (79.7 KB, 29 views)
olds 007 6.jpg (64.5 KB, 22 views)
Old September 9th, 2009, 02:57 AM

Smile Entourage

Nice car...hope it's not too hot to put the top down by the way, some your people have left down under and were up here...a group of a dozen or so late teens open cars were seen by us, Monday, in the town of Niagara-on-the-lake, Ontario, (near Niagara Falls) they were part of the north eastern tour according to a sign on the one car we took a picture of...very nice
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:52 AM

Nice car! Let us know how the car runs when you get it down under!
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:36 AM

Looks clean, even has AC. When is it shipping, how much longer do you have to wait?
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Nice car! Let us know how the car runs when you get it down under!
Doesn't everything run counter clockwise "Down Under"?
Beautiful car, I think the color combo is perfect, all yellow would be too much.
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:57 PM

Went back and looked at the interior pics again... one would wonder why the passenger seat has what appears to be more wear than the drivers seat... possibly more sun damage because it was "exposed " if no passenger sitting on it? It does appear to be "leather cracks", either way it looks great!
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:16 PM
...should get a life....

Leather Interior

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Nice car...hope it's not too hot to put the top down by the way, some your people have left down under and were up here...a group of a dozen or so late teens open cars were seen by us, Monday, in the town of Niagara-on-the-lake, Ontario, (near Niagara Falls) they were part of the north eastern tour according to a sign on the one car we took a picture of...very nice
I hope they're not making a nuisance of themselves as we Aussie tourists are prone to do. I certainly did last time I was in Canada. Hitch hiked from Montreal to Vancouver in 1979. What a great country !
And you are right about it getting too hot to drive with the top down in summer down here. I had an MGA (pic attached) and you could really only drive it in Spring or Autumn. Thats one of the reasons I went for this Olds. It has air, it works and has been upgraded to the new gas.
Attached Images
Col's MGA 31-3-02.jpg (95.7 KB, 10 views)
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:26 PM
...should get a life....

Leather Interior

Originally Posted by citcapp
Looks clean, even has AC. When is it shipping, how much longer do you have to wait?
Apparently it's being trucked from South Carolina tomorrow. It then gets held over in Wilmington Ca for however long it takes to get 4 cars together for 1 container then its a 25 day sail to Sydney and another 2 weeks getting through customs. I'm hoping to see it in around 2 months.
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:55 PM

Good luck on the shipping, bet you can't wait to see your new baby
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by stabac
Went back and looked at the interior pics again... It does appear to be "leather cracks", either way it looks great!
Looking at it again myself, I agree, it does look leather-like in that respect. And the stitching looks like it *could* be a little different.
But I also agree it looks great too!
I wouldn't be shocked to find out it is leather. A really good upholstery shop could do leather or the correct vinyl virtually identical to the original pattern. Not cheap, but certainly possible.
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Past Administrator

Wow! very nice car, I am sure you will be pleased with it. Awaiting news of it's arrival.
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Oldsdruid

A possible explanation:

That yellow vinyl was unavailable for many years and even now I think there was only a limited run of it made several years ago.

However...

Cadillac used pale yellow leather in a lot of their 80s cars, and it may hve been more feasible to redo this interior in yellow Cadillac leather (available) vs yellow Morocceen vinyl (unavailable).

Col, can you PM me the name of who you bought it from? There was a family in Greenville area who had several of those yellow/yellow 1967 Oldsmobiles, including a Ninety Eight convertible that to this day is one of the most astounding restorations I've ever seen. That car went from OCA National Junior Best of Class to Preservation Senior in three years, which is almost unheard of. The quality of that car is that good.
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Loose Radical

As to originality, could you get a 442 bumper and tail lights on a Cutlass?
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by slowolds
As to originality, could you get a 442 bumper and tail lights on a Cutlass?
Huh? In '67? There was no '67 442 bumper and tail lights. The 442 was an option on the Cutlass Supreme and the tail lights (with black added to match the black trunk lid trim) and the bumper were not 442 specific. They were the same as a Cutlass Supreme.

If you're not asking about a '67, you're posting in the wrong place!
Old September 10th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Loose Radical

His rear bumper, with the large red upper / lower outside tail lights and the backup lights near the license plate. I was told that was the 442 only bumper. That was a Supreme feature?
My '67 has a large upper red brake light above the large white reverse light and no other openings other that the gas door in the bumper.
Old September 10th, 2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by slowolds
I was told that was the 442 only bumper. That was a Supreme feature?
My '67 has a large upper red brake light above the large white reverse light and no other openings other that the gas door in the bumper.
Yes, all Cutlass Supreme models came with those bumper and light arrangements, 442 and otherwise.
I presume you have a "regular" Cutlass model.
Old September 11th, 2009, 02:59 AM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by rocketraider
A possible explanation:

That yellow vinyl was unavailable for many years and even now I think there was only a limited run of it made several years ago.

However...

Cadillac used pale yellow leather in a lot of their 80s cars, and it may hve been more feasible to redo this interior in yellow Cadillac leather (available) vs yellow Morocceen vinyl (unavailable).

Col, can you PM me the name of who you bought it from? There was a family in Greenville area who had several of those yellow/yellow 1967 Oldsmobiles, including a Ninety Eight convertible that to this day is one of the most astounding restorations I've ever seen. That car went from OCA National Junior Best of Class to Preservation Senior in three years, which is almost unheard of. The quality of that car is that good.
The guys name is Don Doria. I don't think he's an Olds restorer. He bought this car from Hershey Penn. in 2000 and has done 12,000miles since. He thinks it was part of an estate and may have been shedded many years. He also thinks the 41,000 mileage is original. The title for 2000 shows mileage @ 129,000 which would seem more realistic. I don't know how US titles work. What if a car has been in a shed for years and comes out with really low mileage that no-one can verify? Is an assumption made and a number put in that looks more reasonable, ie add a "1" in front? Appreciate some insight.