Interior Dye ????

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2011, 04:13 PM

Interior Dye ????

Looking for some advice on what interior dye to use for a saddle interior on my 72 cutlass convertible. I purchased some a few years back and it never seemed to be the right color. Any advice on product and process would be appreciated. Not looking to change color just freshen it up.
Old June 5th, 2011, 05:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/wa

I got mine done by a guy that tried to mix it to that color but never matched. I'm also wondering how it can be done. I have heard about sem, give them a call and see what they say.
Old June 6th, 2011, 04:51 AM

Thanks, I'll see what I can find about SEM.
Old June 6th, 2011, 05:47 AM

Here is my experience using SEM. I have a 72 with saddle interior also.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/major-builds-projects/9038-interior-makeover-6.html#post167639

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/major-builds-projects/9038-interior-makeover-6.html#post189093

Make SURE you use the adhesion promoter on all parts, whether they say you need it or not. If not, it might come off easily.
A good paint shop can color match the stuff to anything you want, just make sure it is a solid color and not a pattern (like the seat material).

If like my car, the factory color may have darkened over time. Repainting some items might open a big can of worms, like recovering the seats, etc!
Old June 6th, 2011, 06:38 AM

Hey guys,

funny this post should come up today because just yesterday I started spraying the dash for my black 98. It was originally red and I'm changing it to black. Last night I did the edges and undersides and tonight I'll flip it and finish the top.

I've been using the spray dyes for years (first Napa, now SEM) and I've actually never used any of the prep products other than just giving the parts a very good cleaning. I've never had anything peel or flake or anything like that so I wonder how necessary it really is? Maybe if you're spraying something that gets flexed more??
Old June 6th, 2011, 07:24 AM

I can use my fingernail and easily scratch off the SEM stuff. An accidental wrong pull on the armrest took a chunk of with my fingernail.
I used the so called environment safe water-color version of SEM so maybe it is not that good as the old one.
I really scrubbed and rinsed my parts well, and it flakes on all parts. I did not use the adhesion promotor, but maybe I should have.
So now I have to be VERY careful with it.
Old June 6th, 2011, 07:28 AM

OK good to know. I don't know if the ones I have are the eco-friendly ones or not but maybe I'll use a prep on anything that gets more contact and/or flexing. Is the adhesion promotor another rattle can product or something you need a spray gun for?
Old June 7th, 2011, 05:11 PM
One of None W-31

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I can use my fingernail and easily scratch off the SEM stuff. An accidental wrong pull on the armrest took a chunk of with my fingernail.
I used the so called environment safe water-color version of SEM so maybe it is not that good as the old one.
I really scrubbed and rinsed my parts well, and it flakes on all parts. I did not use the adhesion promotor, but maybe I should have.
So now I have to be VERY careful with it.
Also, to go along with what Rob said. My driver's side is in pristine condition, but the passenger's side, where the kids get in everyday for me to drive them to school (w/ back packs, lunches, projects, etc.) has a few places scratched off a little (arm rest). I too did not use the adhesion promoter. Will it stand up to kids? don't know. Maybe Rob's use of this "water" color type pf SEM vs the "regular" type deserves some researching.

Last edited by 71 Cutlass; June 7th, 2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old June 7th, 2011, 06:15 PM

Here is some good info on applying SEM:
http://semproducts.com/images/Users/...RAP-1_1009.pdf

http://semproducts.com/cms/FAQ+%26am...html#sure-coat

I cut corners and got what I deserved...
Old June 7th, 2011, 09:11 PM
One of None W-31

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
Hey guys,
I've been using the spray dyes for years (first Napa, now SEM) and I've actually never used any of the prep products other than just giving the parts a very good cleaning. I've never had anything peel or flake or anything like that so I wonder how necessary it really is? Maybe if you're spraying something that gets flexed more??
I guess it works out fine for some. Like I said, my driver's side door is fine, just the other side that takes a lot of "hits" which has a few small spots scratched off.
Old June 8th, 2011, 05:04 AM

Nobody makes the correct color of the 72 dark saddle dye.Some are close,but still off.Others have the 1970 dark saddle,which is more of a brown color.After a few trials,I have a correct mix for the 72 dark saddle.correct color & correct sheen.Even the gloss level will change the final appearance of the color.This is a low-gloss mix,with Dupont materials.Even putting it in a rattle can,with aerosol will change the final appearance.I had mine mixed & put into a pint can,then I put it in a sparay bomb.It's about $68.00 for a pint,but it is exact.It took a few trials with a few pints,but I got it nailed now.I also did the 71 sienna color,and a few others.I plan on doing the 70 metallic blue next,when time permits.

If you have black,the SEM Landau black works great.If you have 70-71 pearl white,the SEM super-white works great for that.
Old July 18th, 2011, 12:25 PM

i had JustDashs in california re-do my cutlass dashpad and they sent me a small bottle of some nasty smelling dye along with the finished pad. it was an exact match to the rest of the interior(mahogany). i sprayed it on the glovebox door and the brake light housing with a jamb-gun. the stuff worked great, not sure if you can get quanities of this product. i need more because i have to rplace my steering column with one that is saddle colored and i'll probably shoot the door panels and other trim pieces. i'll post what i find out.

Last edited by blueRAYwhale; July 18th, 2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: ...the usual spe6ling stuff
Old July 20th, 2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
If you have black,the SEM Landau black works great.If you have 70-71 pearl white,the SEM super-white works great for that.
Sort of off topic, but is this good for changing a color? I have saddle interior in my 72 and I hate it. I wan't white, but I know white will never dye over brown, so black it is.
Old July 20th, 2011, 08:36 AM

PPG also has trim/interior paint, and they mix it right off the mixing bank. With that being said they should be able to match any color. Scuff, adhesion promotor and shoot it. IMO thats what ill be doing when the time comes
Old July 20th, 2011, 01:19 PM

Smile ...me too

Originally Posted by jpc647
Sort of off topic, but is this good for changing a color? I have saddle interior in my 72 and I hate it. I wan't white, but I know white will never dye over brown, so black it is.
i had that saddle colored interior in my '76 delta, hated it too. it faded in areas to a purpley color. it was strange the rear door panels did, the fronts didn't, go figure. i see alot of cars for sale with that same problem. maybe those dash guys could reccomend something for you.