Inside rearview glass (maplight mirror)

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2009, 06:58 AM

Question Replacement inside mirror glass (maplight mirror)

My inside mirror now looks hideous against the new interior (see picture)...

Does anyone know of a source for replacement glass for the '72 Supreme inside mirror with maplight? The standard mirror glass is available (no maplight) and they sold as NOT a replacement for the mirror with maplight. I guess they are different.
I do with to keep this mirror, as the map light in the mirror is not too popular. I also use real paper maps, so I may even use it for its intended purpose...

Is there a way to repair this mirror? This is the day/night style.
Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 5th, 2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old March 5th, 2009, 07:34 AM

a good glass shop. Not an auto glass shop can cut you a new mirror
Old March 5th, 2009, 07:44 AM

Paul at ROS redos them ros67872@hotmail.com
203-272-7103 after 6 p.m. e.s.t.

I've bought lots of parts from him. Honest guy.
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:21 AM

The mirror glass needs to be re-silvered.

I remove mine and send them out.

Hemmings has a bunch of vendors that do this.
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Paul at ROS redos them ros67872@hotmail.com
His email bounced - is this the correct address?

I will see if I can find a local glass shop and see what they say...
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:53 AM

Sorry

ros6872@hotmail.com

As in 1968-72

Old with dyslexia
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Registered

I've read that the the day-night mirror glass is wedge shaped and regular glass won't work. I switched mine with another one I had and never really noticed.
You can have it re-silvered at a glass and mirror place as mentioned or find a donor at a boneyard. One guy on another forum says that a lot of the later glue-on type have the same size glass. I contacted a guy that sells the glass and he wanted $95 for it $125 to restore the whole thing, he's on evilbay once in a while selling them.
You have to take your time rolling the rubber off the edge and the mirror is glued to the housing so careful getting it loose too. I was reading that soaking it in warm water softens the rubber edge so it comes off easier and helps break the glue loose, never tried it but sounds good.
I also learned that you don't use glue to replace it because it can react with the silvering and that the edge retainer holds it fine.

That thing sure does looks nasty Rob, your dates need that to do their make-up and that doesn't "reflect" too good on you.
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:24 AM

You mean Rob didn't buy a new vanity mirror for his passanger seat sunvisor .

Rob,

You've missed another parts shopping spree. Call Fusick NOW
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I've read that the the day-night mirror glass is wedge shaped and regular glass won't work. I switched mine with another one I had and never really noticed.
Very true; I might consider regular glass if worse comes to worse...

You can have it re-silvered at a glass and mirror place as mentioned or find a donor at a boneyard. One guy on another forum says that a lot of the later glue-on type have the same size glass.
Hopefully I can do the recoating method as the glass is intact (for now)... Finding one of these the same size at a yard does not seem likely, but I suppose I can get measurements and try. Good idea... Suppose a glass shop could trim a mirror that is too big??

You have to take your time rolling the rubber off the edge and the mirror is glued to the housing so careful getting it loose too. I was reading that soaking it in warm water softens the rubber edge so it comes off easier and helps break the glue loose, never tried it but sounds good.
I will soak it only if the map light comes out first. It still works so hopefully I can keep it that way. With my luck I might bust both...

That thing sure does looks nasty Rob, your dates need that to do their make-up and that doesn't "reflect" too good on you.
Luckily they would have the vanity mirror on the right visor to look at. Lady was equipped with the Y60 "lamps and mirrors" package...
I cleaned up that visor mirror and it is in good shape.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 5th, 2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
You mean Rob didn't buy a new vanity mirror for his passanger seat sunvisor .
Don't need to, that part was actually salvageable... Of course cleaning it up made the visor itself look bad...
Old March 5th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Registered

Most convertibles don't have visor vanity mirrors.
There's a problem with this big bright ball in the sky called the Sun and blinding people in front of you when the top's down and they're flipped up.
Old March 6th, 2009, 03:56 AM

Most convertibles don't have visor vanity mirrors.
There's a problem with this big bright ball in the sky called the Sun and blinding people in front of you when the top's down and they're flipped up.

Mine do
Old March 6th, 2009, 08:55 AM

Resilvering the original mirror will run about 120 bucks to send out, so i am really leaning towards one of these...

For only 80 bucks more I can get TWO map lights, dome lights, compass, ambient temperature monitor, and auto dimming!
Since I plan to do quite a bit of travelling in this car, the temp and compass will be nice.
I do not think it will look TOO unoriginal...

I will check prices locally, but I sure like the features in the above mirror (I will use them, too!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
genk31.jpg (72.8 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 6th, 2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old March 6th, 2009, 09:19 AM

The last mirror I had done was $40
Old May 11th, 2009, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Resilvering the original mirror will run about 120 bucks to send out, so i am really leaning towards one of these...

For only 80 bucks more I can get TWO map lights, dome lights, compass, ambient temperature monitor, and auto dimming!
Since I plan to do quite a bit of travelling in this car, the temp and compass will be nice.
I do not think it will look TOO unoriginal...

I will check prices locally, but I sure like the features in the above mirror (I will use them, too!)
I actually did this in my 75 88 convertible, and believe it or not, not even the tough tough judges at the Olds Nationals in Dearborn last year noticed it LOL I love it, am glad I got it
Attached Images
mirror2.JPG (64.9 KB, 26 views)
Old May 11th, 2009, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
I actually did this in my 75 88 convertible, and believe it or not, not even the tough tough judges at the Olds Nationals in Dearborn last year noticed it LOL I love it, am glad I got it
Jeff,
That looks sleek! Which mirror did you use? How did it mount??

I am wanting to go this route but i hesitate to pay 250 bucks for one...
I hear some good mirrors could be had in junk yards... There is one particular GM car a few years ago that had auto dimming, temperature and compass displays, map lights, and dome lights all in one. I just need to figure out what cars to look for in the yard... Anyone know??
Old May 11th, 2009, 05:29 AM

Rob it was easy (well easy for me, my mechanic did it) but it mounts on a button that gets glued to the windshield like the original, then there is like 5" of wire (comes with a channel to hide it) that goes to the header (trim comes off and wire gets run) over to the left pillar, down, and into the fusebox area. At the same time a temp sensor gets installed in the grill and run back to meet the mirror wiring and all tied together at the fusebox.

The whole thing took about an hour.

I now have dome / map lights (convertible never had them) auto dimming mirror (love it with the top down at night) compass and outside temp.

I forget where I got it but I believe it was like $299 with all the things it does. They had some for less that did not do as much but I wanted it all.
Attached Images
mirror1.JPG (45.8 KB, 27 views)