Ignition Lock Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2019, 10:01 AM
Always room for one more

Ignition Lock Cylinder

Hi everyone.

Thought I had asked this before, but couldn't find it. On a 70 Vista Cruiser, the ignition key no longer turns in the ignition switch. The key looks a little worn but it works in the door. I've used this key to start the car before. Second key looks worn, works in the door. Both keys will get ignition to turn back to ACC, but trying to go forward just feels like it's the wrong key.

This car has sat for a couple years. It's an original car with original keys. Will the pins in the lock cylinder suddenly go bad? I've tried the turning of the wheel, moving of the shifter, get nothing.

I'm thinking I may need to remove a front door lock and see if there's a number on it, then remove the ignition lock and have it repinned, then get a new key cut. Sounds like a pain. Anyone have another idea?

Thanks everyone.
Old September 21st, 2019, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Thought I had asked this before, but couldn't find it. On a 70 Vista Cruiser, the ignition key no longer turns in the ignition switch. The key looks a little worn but it works in the door. I've used this key to start the car before. Second key looks worn, works in the door. Both keys will get ignition to turn back to ACC, but trying to go forward just feels like it's the wrong key.

This car has sat for a couple years. It's an original car with original keys. Will the pins in the lock cylinder suddenly go bad? I've tried the turning of the wheel, moving of the shifter, get nothing.

I'm thinking I may need to remove a front door lock and see if there's a number on it, then remove the ignition lock and have it repinned, then get a new key cut. Sounds like a pain. Anyone have another idea?

Thanks everyone.
The ignition cyl needs to come out to have a new key made unless you happen to have the original key code.
I lost the keys to my 70 Cutlass while at work and had to have a locksmith come out and make me a new key. He removed the ignition lock and made me new keys from that.
Old September 21st, 2019, 10:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by svnt442
The ignition cyl needs to come out to have a new key made unless you happen to have the original key code.
I lost the keys to my 70 Cutlass while at work and had to have a locksmith come out and make me a new key. He removed the ignition lock and made me new keys from that.
If the problem is that the keys are excessively worn, I have a gauge that allows me to measure each cut and then punch out a new key. Alternately if you have the four character key code, a new one can be made from that. PM me for info.
Old September 21st, 2019, 03:57 PM
Justin

Hi everyone.

Thanks everyone.
I would get with joe and see what you can do. honestly I found it easier to pull ignition than the door lock, I do own the tools required to pull the steering wheel and c clip, I did pull both just to see if the codes were on both locks, mine is a 1972 and the door locks didn’t have a code,
hope this helps, if you end up pulling the ignition their is a slot that you need to punch out on some columns to be able to push the pin in, a few taps with a screw driver breaks through. Extremely thin so it not difficult at all.
Old October 14th, 2019, 03:14 AM

I’m guessing since this is a vista cruiser, it’s a column shift car? Make sure the shifter is all the way up into park, floor shift cars occasionally have problems with the bushings and linkage getting worn. Putting a floor shift into park with sloppy linkage sometimes prevents the shift bowl on the column from rotating fully into the park position.

do you have a spare set of keys to try?
Old February 9th, 2020, 03:04 PM

I need to pull my ignition switch out of my 71 because i have lost my key. Can I pull it out without having a key to turn the switch to accessory? I have a new lock cylinder with keys I would like to install.
Old February 9th, 2020, 03:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 71cutls
I need to pull my ignition switch out of my 71 because i have lost my key. Can I pull it out without having a key to turn the switch to accessory? I have a new lock cylinder with keys I would like to install.
This website illustrates the process for removing the lock cylinder. You do not need the key. You do need a lock plate compressor tool. Note that the website is actually covering the process for fixing a loose tilt column, but the steps to get the lock cylinder out are the same. Just stop at that point.
Old March 23rd, 2021, 10:30 PM

Hi everyone.

Thanks everyone.
1- key and orlick is worn out. I ca decode key and generate a new one to factory specs
2- retainer that holds springs in place has come loose and popped into cavity of cylinder housing and jammed.
Either was is common problem
Old March 23rd, 2021, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by 71cutls
yes. You do not need keys to remove old lock cylinder