how can i install a stereo system

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2004, 01:21 PM

I have an all original 72 cutlass supreme that is in very nice condition inside and out. I really want to put in an all new stereo system (speakers, subs, cd deck, etc.) but i dont want to tear into the dash at all and i am weary about tearing into the rear deck/dash under the back window. I was wondering if anyone knew if the original 8 track holders would work for the cd deck and if so where could i find one. Also I would like some suggestions on how to go about doing this without messing up my car.
Old August 7th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Check this out tis great idea:

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/tecref26.html

I'm thinking about doing this, but putting it in the trunk instead.

Good luck!
Old August 9th, 2004, 06:32 AM
Past Administrator

texasred, that is a good link and that guy had a good idea which he executed well. I helped my son install an aftermarket radio/cd player in the glovebox of his '64 98. It didn't have the infared though. Real nice....
Old February 18th, 2006, 10:22 AM

I purchased a reproduction 8 track housing from a guy on E-Bay ( he makes them) about 3 years ago, it was not completely stock looking (trim details) but real close, fits in the original location and will hold your stereo or a set of gauges. His E-mail was W70442@Hotmail.com. I've also purchased speakers ( 6 1/2" ) molded into custom kickpanels from custom autosounds - sound good. I've seen stereos installed in the glove box, and one installed in the ashtray location behind the ashtray door to hide it. About original 8-track housings, you can find them sometimes on E-Bay but they will cost you. Good Luck
Old July 27th, 2006, 11:30 AM

I am going through the same thing with my 72 conv.t. I do not want to cut up the dash. Year One offers some nice aftermarket repros that fit in stock location but are pretty pricey. About 330.00 It has rca outputs for an amplifier and then you can mount a 6 or 10 disc changer in the trunk. I am still deciding what to do as far as speakers.
Old November 19th, 2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by DRCUTLASS72
I am going through the same thing with my 72 conv.t. I do not want to cut up the dash. Year One offers some nice aftermarket repros that fit in stock location but are pretty pricey. About 330.00 It has rca outputs for an amplifier and then you can mount a 6 or 10 disc changer in the trunk. I am still deciding what to do as far as speakers.
I have 69 cutlass-s conv i put my new radio under my seat then ran all wires under the carpet then hung the speakers under the dash kept the old radio inplace very easy to get to . tim
Old December 3rd, 2006, 04:06 AM

How about Vintage Vibes? I hear they have good looking (and working) stuff and not to expensive.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 08:50 PM

I tried something on a 1971 Cutlass Supreme several years ago that I was happy with. It does require some cutting though and a little effort building brackets. I cut out the inside of the ash tray but kept the door in place. I also left the factory am radio in the dash. What people can't see they won't steal!
Old December 6th, 2006, 09:49 AM

We copied what the 8 track housing looked like and made our own. Turned out awesome. Never had to put any holes where there wern't any before. Thats all we did was install a cd player, and put new 6x9's in the rear deck. Could easiley pass for a stock set up.
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:32 PM

My solution

You can do it all without any cutting. At YearOne, I found front kick panels with speakers built in. In the back, they have rear speaker enclosures with 6x9 speakers 120 amp.

they have stereos (pricey) that are made to fit in the exact same holes in the dash as the original. No cutting is required. the only draw back is the 12 disk CD changer must be mounted in the trunk.

Hope that helps. I'm looking for rear speaker enclosures for my 71 convertible.