GM Power Seat Coupling R&R

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2014, 07:59 PM

GM Power Seat Coupling R&R

Has anybody tackled this job?

I know mine broke on my driver seat and I just ordered a new one waiting on it to arrive.

Any tips or tricks?
Old March 8th, 2014, 04:11 AM

What car and year? On most cars it is real easy after pulling the seat out. With the power part not working, many time it makes it difficult to remove the set.
Old March 8th, 2014, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
What car and year? On most cars it is real easy after pulling the seat out. With the power part not working, many time it makes it difficult to remove the set.

I was hoping to replace the part w/o taking the seat out I heard some people say they were able to do this.

GM part #20614175 if there is any confusion on what part im talking about.
Old October 26th, 2014, 03:11 PM

Update: Was kinda a pia for 30mins but got my driver side power seat working again

Nice that I have all power features working again (windows, locks, seats)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20141025_222153.jpg (10.9 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg
20141025_222218.jpg (37.4 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by DeltaDevil88; October 26th, 2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old November 13th, 2015, 06:01 AM

Did you have to take the seat out to install? If not, how did you get it on?
Old December 3rd, 2016, 06:15 PM

I seen this post looking for some information on the power 'seat couple'. I'm having a difficult time removing the motor while the seat is in place. removed the front seat bolts to rock it back but I cannot see how the motor detaches from the housing. The seat is stuck in the far back position. I believe that the seat belt anchors have to be removed as well, using a torque bit. Fortunately, I have the tool. I believe that I can remove all of the bolts but the back where the covers cannot be removed. However, I did remove the pivot pins easily but the covers use a male coupler covering the bolt (The forward bolt). I believe that I could possibly wrench the back loose but the front rear bolts seem to be an issue.

If any could elaborate on how to remove the motor without removing the seat, it would be most helpful. I plan on moving to body shops for additional information. If any would know, it would be a body shop. I'll leave a video I uploaded to show the area in question.

I’m seeking some assistance with the installation of the ‘seat couple’ which I purchased from Parts Place: GM Part Number (20614175) with hopes of the part fitting. The armature spins freely so there appears no error with the switch. The seat couple that broke is stuck inside the housing. I can most likely remove all the seat bolts but the Forward Rear Bolts which are covered with a plastic module. The pins were easily removed but the covers have a male extension covering the ‘Forward Rear Bolts’. The rear bolts most likely can be removed.

Seeing that there are some who have moved into this area, can any detail exactly how I can remove the motor without removing the seat? I removed the forward seat bolts to rock it back but I cannot see where the motor is attached to the housing. I removed two forward 7mm bolts on the face of the motor and cannot see where the motor continues to be seated. There is a lock ring on the shaft of the motor (clearly visible). Does this lock ring have to be taken off?

Last edited by synoptic12; December 3rd, 2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old November 29th, 2017, 05:35 PM

Seat Coupling on 85 Olds Toro

Any help with directions on replacing seat coupling either with seat on or off?
Old November 29th, 2017, 07:12 PM

Arrow

Originally Posted by Toro85
Any help with directions on replacing seat coupling either with seat on or off?
Here's a link of mine from Youtube.

There are three bolts on the motor (2 up front and the third behind, "very difficult" to remove: "But can be done with patience". Seat does not have to be removed BUT it would be much, much easier. If you can remove the seat, it's a piece of cake. If the seat is stationed at a fixed position with the broken couple, you would have to remove the motor.
1.) Start by removing the forward bolts 'in front' to raise the seat. Most likely, or probably the back of the seat will be covering at least two of the four bolts on each side. In this respect, you'll have to remove the three bolts on the motor from the front. Once removed, the motor will slip right out. Now, you can replace the couple. If you require any further assistance, contact me or Brian Weaver of Gbody.com. Keep me posted.
Old October 2nd, 2020, 02:30 PM

This is a pain in the a** job, remove seat and be very careful the plastic housing can be very brittle and crack. Or just stand on your head and do it....
I move the coupling all the way to non motor side and it came out..... not easy. I have seen some metal housings on ebay and may upgrade but they want a lot for them....
Old October 2nd, 2020, 05:01 PM

Arrow

Originally Posted by dinoedwards
This is a pain in the a** job, remove seat and be very careful the plastic housing can be very brittle and crack. Or just stand on your head and do it....
I move the coupling all the way to non motor side and it came out..... not easy. I have seen some metal housings on ebay and may upgrade but they want a lot for them....
My coupling was 'shattered' by a dumb mechanic trying to move the seat. Most likely, he kept the motor spinning. Anyway, my plastic housing was sound with no deterioration or weakness. You make mention of moving the coupling on the forward part of the shaft which is the way it is removed. Again, if one can remove the seat, 'it's easy'. The problem is the 'third' bolt in the rear of the motor housing. I could not remove the seat as it was stationed in the far most rear position, covering the floor seat bolts. I scrapped my knuckles but managed to get the third bolt free which released the motor. The coupling came off easily as most of it was shattered. Never heard of a metal housing. I have an 86' Cutlass Supreme. What have you?
Old October 3rd, 2020, 05:31 AM

"83 Delta 88....yeah I've seen metal housing on line but you have really look hard, new plastic ones are around $150-$200
Old October 3rd, 2020, 06:17 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by dinoedwards
"83 Delta 88....yeah I've seen metal housing on line but you have really look hard, new plastic ones are around $150-$200
I would believe you encountered a similar problem, 'difficulty', contingent upon the coupling. If you removed the seat, it is not a task at all for you can remove the motor easily. The problem is when you cannot remove the floor seat bolts to get at the motor. I unbolted the front two floor seat bolts to provide some lift to get underneath. If I could not raise the forward part of the seat, there would be no way to get at the motor, not enough clearance. I have seen some plastic units that were discolored and looked possibly brittle. My unit was clear white with no discoloration or weakness. I never realized they made metal housings. Are the metal housings for certain years? When I have time, I may search Ebay to look around, although I do not need any. Did you remove the seat? If you did, I cannot see any issue with replacing the coupling. Either spray or a gear puller will remove the coupling easily. Apparently, you did not use a gear puller. You performed the task, so the situation is moot. Not many knowledgeable people around today with the older cars. They've disappeared or care not to bother. Keep the faith, everything else is meaningless.