Gauge 1970 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2010, 02:06 PM

Gauge 1970 Cutlass

I will be getting a 1970 Cutlass S soon. From the picture what gauge can go in the far right? Clock or Tach? Are there factory gauges I can get to fit?

[IMG]https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/DSC01792.jpgDSC01792.jpg
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Grown Azz Kid

It's a spot for a clock and that is the clock delete that you have. There is also a tic toc tach that has a clock in the center of the tach that can go there as well
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:25 PM

When optioned with the rally pac, then the tic toc tac went there, the clock would go there when it was chosen. There are after market repro's out there, check out the Parts Place. There has been another that I have seen on Ebay that looks similar to, but not the same as the factory tach, that is supposed to work. It is cheaper than the repo's and the restored units.
Old January 28th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Registered

That's where the optional flux capacitor readout goes too.

The Rally-Pac also has the other normal everyday street gauges that go in the left pod.

The Tic-Toc-Tach was designed so you coud see exactly what time it was when you over-revved and blew your engine, things still work to this day.
Old January 28th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Mine has the tic toc tach but no rally gauges
Old January 28th, 2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
When optioned with the rally pac, then the tic toc tac went there, the clock would go there when it was chosen. There are after market repro's out there, check out the Parts Place. There has been another that I have seen on Ebay that looks similar to, but not the same as the factory tach, that is supposed to work. It is cheaper than the repo's and the restored units.
Good to know, thanks. I will check that out.
Old January 28th, 2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Olds luvr
It's a spot for a clock and that is the clock delete that you have. There is also a tic toc tach that has a clock in the center of the tach that can go there as well

Thanks for the response. BTW you have a sharp looking ride.
Old January 28th, 2010, 05:35 PM

Base car got pod on left with large fuel gauge and idiot lights and clock delete on right. You could option up to a clock on right and still would have idiot lights on left. If you got the Rally Pak option, you got the tic toc tach, but also got the ralley gauge on the left which got you 3 small gauges (fuel, oil, temp) and the generator was still an idiot light - they came as a pair automatically - you could not get the tic toc tach w/o the ralley gauge from the factory. Many cars today will have a tic toc tach but idiot light gauge because someone added it from a junkyard car. My SX actually has the ralley gauge and a standard clock (no tach) but the correct ralley and tach wiring behind the dash. This implies that someone hijacked the tic toc tach from my car but forgot to take the ralley gauge. Of course I need to buy the repros as a pair as they do not sell them separate, so I will have a spare ralley gauge if someone needs one.
Old January 28th, 2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by oldsconv
Base car got pod on left with large fuel gauge and idiot lights and clock delete on right. You could option up to a clock on right and still would have idiot lights on left. If you got the Rally Pak option, you got the tic toc tach, but also got the ralley gauge on the left which got you 3 small gauges (fuel, oil, temp) and the generator was still an idiot light - they came as a pair automatically - you could not get the tic toc tach w/o the ralley gauge from the factory. Many cars today will have a tic toc tach but idiot light gauge because someone added it from a junkyard car. My SX actually has the ralley gauge and a standard clock (no tach) but the correct ralley and tach wiring behind the dash. This implies that someone hijacked the tic toc tach from my car but forgot to take the ralley gauge. Of course I need to buy the repros as a pair as they do not sell them separate, so I will have a spare ralley gauge if someone needs one.

I am asssuming the Rally Pak is pretty hard to find in good condition? I'd rather have gauges than dummy lights any day.
Old January 28th, 2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by defiant1
I am asssuming the Rally Pak is pretty hard to find in good condition? I'd rather have gauges than dummy lights any day.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-...item3ca9aadb2d

Found this on fleabay. Is this a reasonable price for the set?
Old January 28th, 2010, 06:04 PM

Based on my short time looking for parts thus far:

-NOS rally packs don't exist.

-Used Original GM rally gauges show up at decent intervals (mostly ebay and on forums), but that extra authenticity costs extra $$$.

-A Repop set can be had pretty much all the time from places like Fusicks/Tamraz/USA Parts Supply and IIRC they run in the $250 range. Not sure how correct they are, but can't say I have really heard anyone complaining about them so that would be a good sign. (I haven't bought a set for my car...yet.)

I think the last set I watched on ebay went for 350-400 range, but it was just the two pods (no speedo) and they both worked. That set would be too rich for my blood, but I'm cheap.
Old January 28th, 2010, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Coltonis
Based on my short time looking for parts thus far:

-NOS rally packs don't exist.

-Used Original GM rally gauges show up at decent intervals (mostly ebay and on forums), but that extra authenticity costs extra $$$.

-A Repop set can be had pretty much all the time from places like Fusicks/Tamraz/USA Parts Supply and IIRC they run in the $250 range. Not sure how correct they are, but can't say I have really heard anyone complaining about them so that would be a good sign. (I haven't bought a set for my car...yet.)

I think the last set I watched on ebay went for 350-400 range, but it was just the two pods (no speedo) and they both worked. That set would be too rich for my blood, but I'm cheap.

I agree, I don't think I could drop $500 for all the authentic pods. I'll probably check out the reproductions and go from there.
Old January 28th, 2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by defiant1
I agree, I don't think I could drop $500 for all the authentic pods. I'll probably check out the reproductions and go from there.
Repops are close to that anyway. Last I saw they were $399 or so for JUST the tic toc re pop...
Old January 28th, 2010, 08:05 PM

Whoops.. Yeah I just looked around seems I may have lead you astray.

I can't seem to find the repops ATM listed anywhere

I am pretty sure The Parts Place was who used to sell them, but it looks like the price tag was more like $429. I don't see it listed on the site now though.

Looks like the ebay set ain't so bad afterall.

(sorry about that, I talk crazy some times )
Old January 28th, 2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Coltonis
Whoops.. Yeah I just looked around seems I may have lead you astray.

I can't seem to find the repops ATM listed anywhere

I am pretty sure The Parts Place was who used to sell them, but it looks like the price tag was more like $429. I don't see it listed on the site now though.

Looks like the ebay set ain't so bad afterall.

(sorry about that, I talk crazy some times )

No problem - I learned something new. So, it was not a total loss
Old January 28th, 2010, 09:47 PM

Item number:150408900922, this is the "similar" tach that is available on Ebay. They claim to have the '70-'72, stlye also. The Parts place does not list them in their online catalog but, they sell them online at Ebay. Their location is listed as Elburn, Il. once you click on the item, it pulls up the description and thier name.
Old January 29th, 2010, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Item number:150408900922, this is the "similar" tach that is available on Ebay. They claim to have the '70-'72, stlye also. The Parts place does not list them in their online catalog but, they sell them online at Ebay. Their location is listed as Elburn, Il. once you click on the item, it pulls up the description and thier name.

Cool, I will bookmark their page and go from there. I think a tach is a must so it will be one of my first purchases.
Old January 29th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Grown Azz Kid

oldsconv, When you have a chance can you get in contact with me. I sent you a PM so when you have a second let me know
Old February 11th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Classic GM Fan

I think this would be a reasonable substitute for the TTT, as long as you don't insist on originality: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150413164922
Old February 12th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

Many people use the clock blank-off plate to mount an aftermarket tach.
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Many people use the clock blank-off plate to mount an aftermarket tach.

Do you know of any examples of aftermarket tachs that fit and look decent in that spot?