Dyeing interior and unholstery

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Runner

Dyeing interior and unholstery

I currently have a brown dash / interior (that needs to be re-done anyway) and new light tan vinyl top. I'm really thinking about getting the black look for my car. Is dyeing dashboards, door panels, and vinyl tops a good route to go? Does it actually still good and if so, what products do you recommend.
Old August 27th, 2010, 09:54 AM

I don't know about dye, but I used Krylon Fusion paint on various vinyl interior pieces in my car. It worked great. All I did was sand the vinyl B pillar covers, clean them with alcohol, and sprayed them with the paint.
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:46 AM
"me somebody" site member

Ditto on what Olds64 said, used that stuff on the dash in my Jetstar I (found a nice uncracked green dash that I painted black). Came out great, and I have no talent. I thnk the paint woks well on surfaces that don't get a lot of abuse anyway.
Old August 27th, 2010, 12:33 PM

For added adhesion you can use the Kryonl Fusion primer before spraying the Krylon Fusion paint. You can get it at the hardware store for about $6 a can.
Old August 27th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Runner

Originally Posted by Olds64
I don't know about dye, but I used Krylon Fusion paint on various vinyl interior pieces in my car. It worked great. All I did was sand the vinyl B pillar covers, clean them with alcohol, and sprayed them with the paint.
I bought some of the Krylon Fusion and painted an extra glove box and it worked great! So I think I'm going to go ahead and start converting the brown interior I have into black. So my next question is... whats the easiest way to take out the dash board to paint? It seems like its internally screwed in.
Old August 28th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Alb

dye

I used SEM color coat on my dash and the sun visor bracket. Found it to work really well. If you go to their web site, they even show you how to apply it. It is real important to make sure everything is clean.
Alb
Old August 28th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Runner

Do you guys think this paint would also work on the carpet part of a door panel? Is it even possible to paint?

Old August 29th, 2010, 06:51 AM

The carpet portions on the door panels is available from Legendary, OPG and maybe Fusicks.
Not sure how easy it is to remove and replace, but it is an option.
Old August 29th, 2010, 07:15 AM
bil

I have used the spray dye on both carpet and plastic.Clean well with non-phosphate TSP .Tri-sodium phosphate.(why do they still call it that?) one problem with paint is the dreaded Armor-all.Silicone based,it is hard to get it all off,and can cause problems with adhesion. I try not to use the stuff.
But either paint or dye are usefull ,especially with old or used parts that may be off-color.I used the vinyl dye to make blue kickpanels black.17 years and they still look good. ---bil
Old August 29th, 2010, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by bil
I have used the spray dye on both carpet and plastic.
Bil, what company makes quality spray dye? Thanks.
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:23 AM

The vinyl top will be a problem, the dye/paint doesn't hold up very well in the weather.
Old August 29th, 2010, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Joffroi
So my next question is... whats the easiest way to take out the dash board to paint? It seems like its internally screwed in.
I just took mine out last month. Its a job. To make it easier I would take out the front seats. Your going to end up laying on your back to remove it.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...2-cutlass.html
Old August 29th, 2010, 02:45 PM
bil

I think I got mine from Year One,I will try to find it and get you the brand name. ---bil
Old August 29th, 2010, 09:35 PM

It would be a shame to "ruin" those nice original gold panels if all of them are in as nice of shape as the one in the pic. Of course pics tend to make all this stuff look excellent but that one REALLY DOES look nice.

How are the other panels?

I know, I know....it's your stuff and you can do whatever you want with it. and yes, dying/painting NICE panels makes for a nice result also.

If it were me I'd consider trying to find some clean original black panels and paint them if necessary.

Trying to replace the carpet at the bottom will likely be a mess...look close and you can see the vinyl around the edge. The factory laid that vinyl down OVER THE OUTER EDGES of the carpet, sewed it there, and then rolled it around to the back of the panel where they glued the vinyl down.

This made for a nice clean border around the edges of the carpet---no bare or ragged edges of the carpet showing, etc.....not something you would likely be able to duplicate very easily.

Disclaimer: I don't have any interest in your nice gold panels.
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:44 AM

I also use Fusion , holds up well. I used dye on a 68 Firebird I had and it seemed like real runny or thin paint . kind of made a mess. I have also painted the carpet on the door panels and it looks great but it is krunchy when you feel it.
I tried not to paint anything that is being touched all the time for obvious reasons.
as far as people thinking paint or dye wont work and hold up ? Some interior parts were factory black and painted at the factory to match colors. mostly option peices like rear defog trim plates.
i have one real nice original black door panel for sale. it is hanging on my garage wall because it is real rare to find a perfect original and the fit of repros is not the best.
Old September 10th, 2010, 05:44 PM

I used "Original Equipment Reproductions Interior Paint" from Gold Eagle Classics (goldeagleclassics.com). Or go to their web site oerparts.com. I personally would only paint plastic or metal parts that don't get any wear. I would replace any seat vinyl, door panels, headliner etc. with new from Legendary Interiors if going for the color change.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_4214.jpg (71.6 KB, 40 views)
IMG_0017.jpg (83.8 KB, 38 views)
IMG_0023.jpg (89.5 KB, 37 views)
IMG_0005.jpg (88.5 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by hinz57; September 11th, 2010 at 12:45 PM.