General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Dyeing seat belts

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2015, 01:21 PM

Dyeing seat belts

anyone ever dye the seat belts. I cleaned mine and now they look ok but faded.
Old April 25th, 2015, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by GINCSC
anyone ever dye the seat belts. I cleaned mine and now they look ok but faded.
Yes, you can use the SEM vinyl/fabric paint on them and they turn out great.
Old April 25th, 2015, 05:47 PM

I am curious how long the SEM paint will hold up under constant flexing of the material. Also, doesn't it make them stiff?

I've had success dyeing faded black straps same color using an "acid" dye from a company called Jacquard. The "acid" is nothing more than white vinegar added to the simmering pot of water/dye solution. Trouble with this method is that the plasticized fibers of the webbing will not, by nature, absorb color. It's more like staining the fibers enough to revitalize the original color...but, not enough to change to a different color.
Old April 25th, 2015, 08:11 PM
Justin

I have not tried this!

I have read on the Chevell sight, about shoe polish to dye seat belt webbing. here is one link I just looked up might need to cut and past

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344812#/forumsite/20668/topics/344812
Old April 25th, 2015, 08:58 PM

I remember reading this post when I was researching info on how to rejuvenate my belts. I was very skeptical of the shoe polish not rubbing off on my (or, my passengers') clothes. Again, the webbing is not a porous fabric where the polish would bond tightly to the material; such as with leather. But, who knows.....

Fortunately, I have since learned how to fully disassemble the retractor spools to remove the old straps...and, have a friend who can get me newly sewn straps from a guy who has experience making racing belts if I provide the buckle ends. All, for a fraction of the cost of sending them to the well-known belt restorers.
Old April 25th, 2015, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by crimsoncolby
I am curious how long the SEM paint will hold up under constant flexing of the material. Also, doesn't it make them stiff?

I've had success dyeing faded black straps same color using an "acid" dye from a company called Jacquard. The "acid" is nothing more than white vinegar added to the simmering pot of water/dye solution. Trouble with this method is that the plasticized fibers of the webbing will not, by nature, absorb color. It's more like staining the fibers enough to revitalize the original color...but, not enough to change to a different color.
The SEM paint is pretty durable. It soaks in to the fibers of the webbing and does not change the texture or pliability at all. Dries very fast too, as in minutes. You don't need to disassemble anything, spray one section then after it dries pull that section thru the buckle to expose the area that hadn't been done yet. If you accidentally get a bit on a metal part, clean it off with acetone. I have only used black on black belts, so I don't know if it would be suitable to change a color.
Old April 26th, 2015, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
The SEM paint is pretty durable. It soaks in to the fibers of the webbing and does not change the texture or pliability at all. Dries very fast too, as in minutes. You don't need to disassemble anything, spray one section then after it dries pull that section thru the buckle to expose the area that hadn't been done yet. If you accidentally get a bit on a metal part, clean it off with acetone. I have only used black on black belts, so I don't know if it would be suitable to change a color.
I did this as well, but cleaned them very well first. Soaked in a water tide solution for a day or two and then in my wife's dishwasher for a cycle. Worked great!
Old April 26th, 2015, 07:31 PM

RIT dye....dye is dye..paint is paint

rit is in the grocery store and cheap

take a gallon can mix the dye and put on the stove til boils lighty..not rolling..

wet the belts stick them in the dye, let cool..pull belts out lay on a rail or line,,,when dry..use them..done it a bunch..works well..have had them done in some of my cars for nearly 2 decade with no issues

belts need to be wet for proper penetration
Old April 27th, 2015, 01:04 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I think it would be unwise to use anything that reacts with the webbing, perhaps replacing the belts with new ones should be the ideal solution.
Just from a safety standpoint, how long before seat belts start deteriorating enough to compromise their effectiveness?.

I think it probable that belts fitted to passenger aircraft have a limited lifespan, of course standards are far higher than for road vehicles, but nothing lasts forever.

Roger.
Old April 29th, 2015, 03:20 PM

Found a set for 269.00

http://www.ss396.com/chevelle/SBL-CH...8KYhoCXpnw_wcB

I think that's the route I'm going to go.
new and safer.
after spending a billion dollars restoring this car why cheap out on seat belts.

thanks guys,
Gary
Old April 30th, 2015, 12:21 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by GINCSC
Found a set for 269.00

http://www.ss396.com/chevelle/SBL-CH...8KYhoCXpnw_wcB

I think that's the route I'm going to go.
new and safer.
after spending a billion dollars restoring this car why cheap out on seat belts.

thanks guys,
Gary
I applaud your decision.
I hope you buckle up every trip, and never need them.

Roger.