Dash pad painting

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2010, 01:41 PM

Dash pad painting

I have found a dash pad for my 1970 442. My question is that it is brown and my old dash pad (which is cracked) is blue. Is there a way that it is paintable and do they turn out well if they are?
Thanks,
Rob
Old July 18th, 2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by soxfan
I have found a dash pad for my 1970 442. My question is that it is brown and my old dash pad (which is cracked) is blue. Is there a way that it is paintable and do they turn out well if they are?
I painted the dash on my '64 Jetstar 88 back in about 1992. My original was cracked, the one I bought to replace it was blue, and I used maroon spray paint designed to work on vinyl. Worked beautifully. Never had a problem for the remainder of the time I owned the car, which I sold in 1996.
Old July 19th, 2010, 06:23 AM

I've used Krylon Fusion paint on various vinyl interior pieces in my car. It seems to work well.
Old July 19th, 2010, 02:09 PM

Its important to make sure you use a vinyl type paint. They have a flex additive.

Parts needs to be very clean, i use soap and warm water as a first clean and than use a special prep cleaner (cant recall the name of it, similar to prep sol). I than use an adhesion promoter and than paint within 10 minutes.

I just did about a dozen parts for my interior trying to get it prettied up for Sturbridge. As a test (for a future upgrade) i also painted a piece of headliner and the adhesion was great and i could not get the paint to crack even if i bent the material in half.

I have an odd color interior (Sienna) and its real difficult to get anything in that color. I was so happy with the way the paint worked i went to Fusicks and bought a black headliner that i will paint Sienna and install after Strubridge. Of course once that is done i am sure i will want to do the dashboard. I am afraid its going to be a slippery slope.
Old July 19th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Loose Radical

Just Dashes has a line that is specifically geared for that and they also say they can color match exactly your existing pieces.
(I am only relaying info. I have not used this process)

http://www.justdashes.com/FadeAway.htm
----not much they do is cheap-----------
Old July 19th, 2010, 02:45 PM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
I have a friend that does professional trim repair here in Detroit for all the High End car lots.
He told me to use SEM trim paint.I prepped it using denatured alchohol.It came out great.
Not very expensive either.$14.00 and can..1 can put about 3 coats on the dash and the glove box.
Ron
Old July 19th, 2010, 03:23 PM

I have used SEM products as well. The finished product came out great. Just make sure you follow the directions on the can and be sure everything is clean. I used Landau Black for the parts I dyed and it matched well, of course black is not as hard to match as other colors.

Your local paint shop can probably custom match the dye for you too.
Old July 19th, 2010, 04:42 PM

I have a real nice black dash if interested. still has headlight switch on it also.
Old July 19th, 2010, 09:10 PM

I used SEM paint to change a saddle color dash to black . Worked awesome. Be sure to follow the temperature recs on the can and clean the surface with alchohol. Be patient and apply three or four thin coats. SEM also sells a vinyl prep spray. Some have used this with success while others have not had much succes. I did not use the prep spray. I do not recall seeing a blue SEM paint at the paint shop here in Los Angeles, but I would imagine you can go to the SEM website to figure that out. Then google SEM paint retailers in your area.
Old July 20th, 2010, 05:34 AM

$14 a can is pretty steep! I think I paid $6 a can for the Krylon Fusion at the hardware store. Of course, it doesn't come in OE colors. I painted the lower B pillar covers in my 71 98 4 door hardtop. They are flexible vinyl and after painting them it isn't peeling or cracking.