Removing dash and dash pad in 70 cut conv.

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2006, 07:18 PM

Removing dash and dash pad in 70 cut conv.

I an trying to remove the dash and dash pad for a reiblesto of a 1970 olds cutlass convert. I have the assembly manual, but need help on how the remove the nut to the right of the steering wheel and the remaining nuts on the driver side. Do i need to remove the steering wheel? I think 3 nuts are left. I dont want to break the dash.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 08:59 PM

I believe I used a 1/4" drive socket with a long extension to get to the nut just to the right of the steering wheel. If I remember there's another one next to the headlight switch that was a pain to reach as well. But I think the small diameter socket and extension worked for it too. If your still working on it by next weekend I have a couple dashes in the garage with harnesses attached. I can take pictures of the back of one so you can see exactly where the mounting studs are and what's in your way. Also, I removed the two nuts that hold the column up under the dash and just lowered it to pull the dash out over the top of it. I felt that made it easier to gently roll the dash outward as I looked for wires and heater lines/cables that still needed to be disconnected. John
Old December 4th, 2006, 07:16 AM

A picture would be NEEDED....THANKS
Old December 4th, 2006, 09:20 PM

Dash

It may be the weekend before I can get to it, but I'll contact you when I do.
John
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:47 PM

Dash

I got the pictures today, but don't have time to post them on my photobucket site right now. I'll try to do that this evening or tomorrow afternoon if I don't get to it sooner. John
Old December 9th, 2006, 09:08 PM

i got the one to the right of the steering wheel. Its another one i cant tell where it is. It looks like it could be a screw.
Old December 9th, 2006, 09:55 PM

I've uploaded the pictures to my photobucket site. Double click on the photo to make it larger. Look them over and email me with any questions. Each of these is a stud that's screwed into the plastic dash, then the fine threaded ends put through the holes in the metal of the car and nuts on the backside. I believe there are two that I took two photos of, to give some other views.

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k257/2blu442/

I will mention that over the years I've pulled a dozen or more dashes from 1970-72 cars. Most of the time there wasn't a nut on the stud between the AC vent and drivers/pass door, just a piece of flat sheetmetal that the threaded stud pulled out of. But on this dash there was a nut, and when I pried as I did on other cars I broke off the stud. So.... if you can stand on your head with a flashlight and mirror, or if you have extra joints in your arm reach up and feel the stud in this location to see if it has a nut on it or not! Good Luck! John
Old December 11th, 2006, 07:22 AM

a cyber beer to you. with your pics, i got it out with minimal issues. the last bolt didnt have a nut on it.

Thanks again.
Old December 12th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Past Administrator

Guys, I have been reading your thread with interest. Great to see we are able to help each other this way! KUDOS to you John. I went to your photobucket and looked at your pictures, cool. I owned a '64 Cutlass about 30 years ago right before I went overseas with the Navy, I had to sell it and wish I didn't. It was same color too with white interior, very beautiful car and peppy too! Your picture sure brought back memories...
Old December 12th, 2006, 06:36 AM

It's a great hobby!

It's a great hobby, and yes when we can help each other with our projects it makes it that much more satisfying. I've got two 1964's, the one on photobucket is from Eastern Oregon so there is almost no rust, just the paint weathered off the flat surfaces. Factory 4 speed car, last licensed in 1978, missing engine/trannie but the console, pedals and linkage are there. Windows shot out, and a handful of .22 bullet holes scattered through the car! My other 1964 has rust in the rear quarter panels, but pristine dash and nice from the doors forward. When I have time..... I plan to use the one to rebuild the other. I will need side glass as the car I plan to part is a post and this one is a hardtop. I have collected way more parts and project cars than I have the resources to handle. I need to start downsizing my collection and will be posting parts and cars here as well as other Oldsmobile sites. John