Convertible top question

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2012, 08:08 AM

Convertible top question

I am getting ready to order a new top for my 68 from yearone. I plan on buying the top with glass. My question is...does anyone know if the glass comes separate or already attached to the top?? Thank you!!
Old February 17th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The glass is part of the rear "curtain," which is separate from the main part of the roof, and must be installed using its own separate part of the installation procedure.

I can't say whether it is shipped attached to the top or not, but it has to be set up as though it is a separate part, in order to get the best result.

- Eric
Old February 17th, 2012, 08:33 AM

Thank you Eric...
Old February 17th, 2012, 08:41 AM

The rear glass is a completely separate piece that is not attached to the top. I bought mine from Fusick & it was cheaper than YO even with their everyday 30% discount
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:02 AM

Thank you, Mike
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:19 AM
delete

There are also a number on vendors that specialize in convertible tops you can find in Hemmings. I'd check them also. They may be able to give you more insight if you need anything add'l like pads or cables.
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... And though you may not need cables (if yours are fine, they'e fine), you should change the pads, unless the car has spent its life in a dry garage since the last top was put on (and even then you may need them). Just a heads-up: Once the pads are off, you'll lose a few measurements and have to re-set them according to the manual.

- Eric
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:36 AM

When I was doing mine a did a Excel spread sheet comparing about 5 vendors. The prices of each individual part (top, rear window, pads, cables, the fabric piece that runs over the rear bow, etc) were significantly different from vendor to vendor. I'm sure the quality varies also but I can usually count on Fusick to carry the best products (yeah, I'm aware of the fact that their headlight surrounds have problems and they carry PUI instead of Legendary). They have a great advantage for me because I'm usually are in their neighborhood every couple of months so I don't have to pay shipping.

Make sure you find a good source for tack strips. If yours has never been replaced, it will likely be junk. I got mine at an upholstery shop.

BTW, I never did the top, I only replaced the rear window. I just didn't have the $$$ to do everything last year.

Last edited by allyolds68; February 17th, 2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:40 AM

And as always, make sure you find out what brand of top you will be buying before you buy. If you will be having a trim shop install it, tell them what brand it is. Some they love, some they will not even touch due to quality issues.
If Year One is still selling Kee tops, then you're good - most shops like them as they are good quality.