Ceiling insulation material options

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2020, 04:18 PM

Ceiling insulation material options

What is the best type of insulation typically used for the ceiling to keep out heat under the headliner? I saw an older post of someone using Reflectix Double Bubble foil insulation on the ceiling. He cut it into 2 pieces and tucked in under the rails and on the side of the ceiling frame with some glue in the center.

On that same thread someone said they got a tip of an old upholstery guy to used closed cell foam instead with a single layer of foil facing the inside of the car to avoid condensation building up between the Reflectix and causing rust. Not sure if that is true? I used closed cell foam on top of my sound deadener and its very light and could be used for the ceiling. I was thinking of this as an option
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08564D194/ref=twister_B088Q4FDCF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08564D194/ref=twister_B088Q4FDCF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Pictures from old Chevelle restoration thread I found

Old December 16th, 2020, 01:26 PM

Less than half the price of dynamat, might be worth a shot.
After scraping off the factory tar paper, I wouldn't be gluing anything to the sheet metal. What a mess that was.
Probably use some type of mechanical fastening to hold the center up, stiff wire maybe, similar to headliner bows.
Old December 16th, 2020, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by matt68F-85
Less than half the price of dynamat, might be worth a shot.
After scraping off the factory tar paper, I wouldn't be gluing anything to the sheet metal. What a mess that was.
Probably use some type of mechanical fastening to hold the center up, stiff wire maybe, similar to headliner bows.
I really wondering if the condensation comment is true? Claimed the double bubble foil causes condensation to build up and pool in between and eventually rust. I guess I can see that happening.

I ended up ordering the closed cell foam for the ceiling.
Old December 16th, 2020, 02:01 PM
Administrator

I've found that a lot of the spray adhesives don't work very well over time because of the heat.
Old December 16th, 2020, 02:05 PM

It will be interesting to see the results. Post it here when you finish, if you would.
Thanks, Matt
Old December 16th, 2020, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I've found that a lot of the spray adhesives don't work very well over time because of the heat.
The adhesive on the closed cell foam is extremely tacky. When I used it on my floors, once I laid it down, if I tried to readjustment it would tear. I think I should be good with the adhesive on the material as they made it specifically for heat protection and is extremely light weight. I will try it out and see what happens. I am not going to have the headliner in for a few months anyway so it will give me a chance to test it out.
Old December 16th, 2020, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by matt68F-85
It will be interesting to see the results. Post it here when you finish, if you would.
Thanks, Matt
Will do. I plan on taking care of it over this weekend.
Old December 20th, 2020, 10:41 AM

Closed cell foam with single aluminum side. Adhesive on it is extremely strong. Once it touched something it cant be readjusted or it tears. With the weight and strength on adhesive I feel good about it. 15sq ft worked out perfect and tooks about 20 minutes.

Old December 20th, 2020, 10:54 AM

heat releases spray adhesive.
Old December 20th, 2020, 11:04 AM

Nice job, thanks for posting.
Old December 20th, 2020, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by ben442
heat releases spray adhesive.
It is not spray adhesive. It came with adhesive backing rated to 215 degree F. They say they guarantee adhesion. If it fails in the next few months, it is not a big deal. I will take it up with them but I am pretty confident after I rolled it on...at this point it is not coming off without scraping.

Coupld posts from Amazon.

Q: In Southern California how it will smell after installing on the roof on the car and doors? It will not fall down?
A: Installed cab of truck Florida 85 90 degrees no smell truck sits in sun so higher temp to metal outsides,make sure you roll with metal roller several directions,will never fall.

Q: To keep the heat out, the aluminum should be facing the outside, isn't it? Not trying to insulate an engine, but a canopy! Would it work?
A: Put on garage door in Florida to keep out heat and it work well out side of door in sun 100 plus inside 76 degrees have a heat gun to measure stuck to door aluminum side was facing me work didn’t make door to heavy!
Old January 10th, 2023, 03:26 PM

Thread resurrection--any issues to date?
Old January 10th, 2023, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bryan Burch
Thread resurrection--any issues to date?
No issues. Even moved to the desert with 115 degree summers. Two summers so far and it has held. Same with the thermal tape I used to secure the edges with.