Anyone ever had plastic chrome interior parts done?

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2008, 07:45 PM
car guy

Anyone ever had plastic chrome interior parts done?

I'm so pissed right now I can hardly type. Been waiting two weeks for my arm rests and floor shift gage bezel to come back. Sent my pieces which were very nice pieces but the chrome was rubbing off. This is the **** I get back. Am I just expecting too much?? Its hard to see how bad it really is in pictures but basicly it looks like 220 scratches were as slick as they got it and then plated or what ever they do.
I am on a shoestring budget for the car right now and scraped up 150.00 to spend on cow manure. You would think the way the economy is right now someone would bend over backward on quality of work right now. If I had a shop and this kind of work was seen in the light of day I would have to close down do to embarasment. :x :x :x
So is there a place out there that can make parts look in the zip code of decent?

Old November 19th, 2008, 07:59 PM

Did you try complaining to them? That looks horrible!! How can they send that out and not expect to get bitched at?
Old November 19th, 2008, 08:58 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by dan2286
Did you try complaining to them? That looks horrible!! How can they send that out and not expect to get bitched at?
It was on my porch tonight when I got home long after they are closed. My fear is if they will let it out the door like this I am wasting my time even calling back.
Old November 19th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Official Tire Kicker

You could try this stuff:

http://www.innate.com/Paint/Chrome/Chrome.htm

I know exactly what you mean about the budget, I am in the same boat. I am waiting to get the money to order an A/C delete box so I can install my heater core and then I finish putting the front clip on. THat craftsmanship SUCKS. If that is a local company I would take it back, if not I would contact them. Good luck.

Keith
Old November 19th, 2008, 09:46 PM

I'll be honest - that looks like crap for $150 that you spent. You would think they would put a little more time and effort into the process so these parts would look brand new.
Old November 20th, 2008, 08:45 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Willidog
You could try this stuff:

http://www.innate.com/Paint/Chrome/Chrome.htm

I know exactly what you mean about the budget, I am in the same boat. I am waiting to get the money to order an A/C delete box so I can install my heater core and then I finish putting the front clip on. THat craftsmanship SUCKS. If that is a local company I would take it back, if not I would contact them. Good luck.

Keith
Thanks for that link. I may give that a shot. At least I won't have to go far it I want to bitch at someone for bad work.

after a little research on some other boards I am not the only one to get crap work from the place I used. I have had multiple suggestions to use http://www.cvvacuumplaters.com/ for quality work.
Not saying who I used but I will say it was not Mr. B's , Mr. E's, Mr. P's, Mr. V's or Mr. Z's
Old November 20th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Past Administrator

Try to get a refund via a phone call, indicate that you aren't interested in them re-doing it since it is hard to acquire good use-able cores. If they aren't interested in working with you give them one more call or e-mail and give them a link to this thread. Then say "Thank you very much, I will be sure to tell every body I meet that your company did this work for me!" Advertising works......not always to the benefit.
Old November 20th, 2008, 09:35 AM
car guy

I will be paying a personal visit next week on my day off. The damage is done by letting it show up at my door in that condition. Not my style to use it but I happen to own a very big bull horn and when I do turn it on it can be heard from a very long way away.
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Not saying who I used but I will say it was not Mr. B's , Mr. E's, Mr. P's, Mr. V's or Mr. Z's
Geeeee, I wonder who did it? I don't know if you saw this site, obviously not beforehand unfortunately. They like CV too, the owner has a comment in the letters section.

http://www.rechromedplastic.8m.com/

The silver (no pun intended) lining is that others will be informed and won't have to go through the same experience, hell of a price to pay for you though.

Allan

Last edited by Bluevista; November 20th, 2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:20 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by amh555
Geeeee, I wonder who did it? I don't know if you saw this site, obviously not beforehand unfortunately. They like CV too, the owner has a comment in the letters section.

http://www.rechromedplastic.8m.com/

The silver (no pun intended) lining is that others will be informed and won't have to go through the same experience, hell of a price to pay for you though.

Allan
I just found it posted on another site. Now you tell me.

All that does in confirm my fear that trying to let them fix it is going to be a waste of time. The site above just gained a new huge supporter.
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:50 AM

Sorry it happened to you but thanks for the heads up.

There's no doubt about it.Sometimes dealing with suppliers/venders/parts guys can be like walking through a mine field.
Old November 20th, 2008, 12:14 PM

Richard,

I am so sorry to learn of your misfortune! I too, would be extremely dissatisfied with the work that was performed. I don't know you personally, but based on your postings, you are very meticulous and take great pride in the work that you do on your car. I fully understand your reluctance to deal with this company in light of the obvious lack of care that was put in to your armrests and bezels. I had a similar experience with an engine builder who refused to accept responsibility for putting the wrong size freeze plugs in my motor. I wouldn't have gone back to him if he was the last guy in the world! I try to avoid blanket statements but I must say that customer service, as a general rule, has certainly declined in recent years. If I can help you in any way, don't hesitate to contact me.

Les Putnam
Old November 20th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Im glad I found at least one good machine shop around me. I had a set of heads cleaned up and a valve job done. I noticed that they forgot to put the freeze plugs back in the head. I went back up their and offered to buy some from them with out even telling them they forgot them. They told me they remembered me and they would give them to me because they knew they forgot them.

I try to go to the places with older people running them. They always seem to have the best costumer service and dont seem to rip you off.
Old November 20th, 2008, 01:29 PM

I had that done on an entire 67 442 dash and it came out really nice. The only bummer was they cracked the speaker housing and I had to come up with a fix.

They should have never put that in a box to ship it.

GUY
67 Delta88
Old November 20th, 2008, 01:34 PM

I will be paying a personal visit next week on my day off.
Wanta borrow a 69 Olds tire iron as a persuader?
or Better yet my trunk monkey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwh-PJIlimM

I wouldn't want that cute kid to grow up with her dad in the slammer.
Let the trunk monkey do it.

Last edited by Jamesbo; November 20th, 2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old November 20th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Registered

I just found it posted on another site. Now you tell me.

All that does in confirm my fear that trying to let them fix it is going to be a waste of time. The site above just gained a new huge supporter.
Sorry, but I just found it too.
It's right below that place on a search and mimics their site.
I'm just scraping by too and know how much it hurts and ticks you off at the same time, like them taking food out of your kid's mouths.

Sometimes you just have to chalk things up to experience and put it behind you, the aggravation just isn't worth it, that guys time will come if he keeps this up.

I'm not saying to do nothing about it. Letting the guy have a piece of your mind can blow off some steam, just maintain self control or the guy could own you.

Allan
Old November 20th, 2008, 02:25 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by amh555
Sorry, but I just found it too.
It's right below that place on a search and mimics their site.
I'm just scraping by too and know how much it hurts and ticks you off at the same time, like them taking food out of your kid's mouths.

Sometimes you just have to chalk things up to experience and put it behind you, the aggravation just isn't worth it, that guys time will come if he keeps this up.

I'm not saying to do nothing about it. Letting the guy have a piece of your mind can blow off some steam, just maintain self control or the guy could own you.

Allan
Not planning on doing anything stupid. I just want to make sure I am there in person to get my cores or equivelent back in my hands

Last edited by gearheads78; November 20th, 2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Did you pay with a credit card? If so talk to them and let them go to battel for you. I think you will get better results that way. Jkaz
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Registered

Not planning on doing anything stupid. I just want to make sure I are there in person to get my cores or equivelent back in my hands
Sorry if you took it the wrong way and I sincerely apologize.
I just know from my own personal experience how fast things can get out of hand in these type situations.
I hope everything works out and is resolved to your satisfaction.

Allan
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:23 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by kaz442
Did you pay with a credit card? If so talk to them and let them go to battel for you. I think you will get better results that way. Jkaz
After I have good cores back in hand. It was debit card so not sure how that works in a charge back but I will be finding out soon.
Old November 20th, 2008, 05:21 PM
rocwal

anyone ever had plastic interior parts done

I know just how you feel ,i shipped a perfect set of armrest supports to a place in Collinsville VA to rechrome them ,after about 4 months got them back all warped and cracked with fisheye in the chrome . i called them and complained stateing that they were not the ones i shipped them , they told me they mark each peice comming to there shop but to ship them back and they would fix them,3 months later recieved the same rests with a new chrome job . someone got a damm good price for the ones i shipped them originaly . now I have a custom stamp to mark anything plastic going to anyone for repairs and put my mark on metal parts also.
hope you make out better than i did.

rocwal
Dan B

Old November 26th, 2008, 12:01 PM
car guy

Just an update...

Got my money back and good cores that are already stripped bare. All in all I am happy. The lesson only cost me freight and a 100 mile round trip this morning.
Old November 26th, 2008, 12:07 PM

Glad it finally got worked out

Happy "T" Day
Old November 26th, 2008, 07:56 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Glad it finally got worked out

Happy "T" Day
me too and you do the same
Old December 27th, 2008, 06:47 AM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
I sent out the instrument bezel to one of the companies you had listed just as a test.
$60.00 to restore the chrome.Wahjat I got back was unacceptable.
I have a floor shift and in the PRDNL ara which is blacked out it looks like a Chicken with hiccups painted it.
I called and asked if I could have them touch it up when I sent in the complete dash I was told by a Texas gentleman that "It is ..what it is" They were very polite but I will send everything to CVVACUUM PLATING.Thier pricing seems to be quite a bit more but I am going to give them a try.Unless someone knows something I dont.
Old December 28th, 2008, 11:22 AM
car guy

It will be nice if enough people hear about the terrible work and they do finally go away.
Old December 28th, 2008, 10:30 PM
2 '66 98's

It seems like getting chroming done these days is nearly always a crap shoot! I sent pot metal pieces to a vendor in Mass. that had done previous work for me. It took 6 months and several phone calls to get them back. The work was disgusting! Have you ever seen chromed pits? They didn't even try to fill them in and the job was not cheap. I was so mad, I sent them a pretty nasty letter and will never deal with them again. I refuse to even send the pieces back to let them have them for another 6 months or who knows how much longer. From now on, I'll just hand carry stuff to Philly, pay a little more, and look them over when I pick them up.
Old January 24th, 2009, 05:39 PM

Richard,
Here are some peaces I had done last wked @ Economy in Mesquite. The scratches I though would show are gone, and little spots showed up. They look better then I thought they would for $10 eh. I like them better then the ones I had powder coated couple mth ago at $5 eh.
Strange too, is that the front peace in the frist photo looks bad in photo, but it realy nice the back one is the bad one.
I looked at at some of his other work just to have an idea if it "was just me" or the standard. Their was a grill of an old car they had chromed and it was was chromed and very shiny, but I could see were rust had pitted all over it. With that I under stand they are electro plating the chrome on, they do not fix the peaces only strip off the old chrome then copper, nickle and electro the chrome on.

I see yours do look like it is more operator error then the material you send to have done. I would not be happy either. Tired of getting burned, also.

The Pwrd coat people have been helping me out you sent me to.

Last edited by hamm36; December 30th, 2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:42 PM
car guy

My experience with Economy is they do pretty decent work if you have a near perfect core but they suck at any real repairs and straitening.