Accessing Front Speakers.

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2007, 04:21 PM

Accessing Front Speakers.

Well guys this is an odd one. But hopfully someone can help me.

The speakers in my 86 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme are "seemingly" built right into the dash. Theres a small grill covering the speaker itself and It dosnt pop off with force. I tryed taking appart the whole dash but I cant get the cluster off, and even if I did, I dont believe that will grant me access to the speakers just under the windshield.

I have no sound at all from my car so Im looking to fix it up. Only thing is, I cant get to them.

Any help or tips would be Great!

Thanks!
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Jim's rare 80

Hi. The covers will lift straight up. They are held in by the same type of clips that hold in the dash vent bezels. They will fight you, but if you put a small wrench, or flat piece of steel on the dash in front of the cover to protect the dash, you can use a flat screwdriver against the wrench to pry up the cover. Start closest to the door. One clip on the narrow end, two on the other. Hope this helps, and let us know how it goes.
Jim.
Old June 20th, 2007, 12:50 PM

Hmm Its much harder said then done lol. I've been trying at the whole system and those clips seem to be EVERYWHERE! I cant seem to get the Radio itself out either, I've unscrewed all the parts but when I try to pull/push it out thru the front it wont budge.

This whole ordeal is becasue I've got a bad connection thru the wires to my speakers. Im not getting sound to any of them, so I've gone thru and checked everything, it turns out the two rear speakers are fine, its just the wireing to them has some kind of problems. so Im looking into checking the source but I cant get a good look behind the radio where everything meets up.

Ill keep you guys posted as I know this problem must be common... or at least I hope it is. I wouldnt wanna be the only one with no stereo in my olds
Old June 24th, 2007, 06:55 PM

I just think ur retarded man
Old June 25th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by 1972madison
I just think ur retarded man
Hopefully you are just joking..
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:55 AM

I Might be.

But I dont think so. Those clips get pretty stiff after 20 odd years. Its not just pulling on them anymore, its asking yourself "do I wanna risk cracking this 20 year old plastic radio cover, or speaker grill"

I'm gonna try again this weekend, its calling for nice weather so Ill have all day to fiddle with them damn clips.
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Past Administrator

I understand exactly what you are talking about. I am always wondering "Am I just not pushing/pulling hard enough because I don't want to end up breaking this part?" Hope you can get it.
Old July 13th, 2007, 10:16 AM

Holy Hell!

This is getting out of hand here. There are SOO many clips that hold these cars together its not even funny! The front cover on the tape/air conditioning system will NOT come off. theres about 4 clips keeping it inplace. Only thing is, you need to remove that faceplate to get to the actual radio system.

Its driving me crazy! I can get the two right clips partially off (The side with the circle cutout for the cigarette lighter) But the other side Wont budge an inch. Theres no way of accessing these from the back, and I can't fit any tools inbetween the plastic without breaking something.

Is this even possible to do? or am I wasting my time, Because it seems like once the radio goes in these cars, its gone for good, Theres no way to get to it to fix it!

If anyone has any ideas for me Id love to hear them, Im going crazy here, with no sound and a half assembled interior.
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:10 AM

... Too late... I broke it...
Old July 14th, 2007, 04:49 PM

Persistence pays off!

Thru many dead ends I've finally re-vamped my Sound in my Cutlass. I've installed a new Deck, and now I just need to get to the speakers themselves.

Id like to thank all those who've kept track of my progress, and a special thanks to those who lent hand in any questions I had.

I've still got the speakers left to install, so I plan to do those within the next week or so. Id say this is my half way point; and the second half is much easier then the first
Old July 14th, 2007, 05:56 PM

Good work Flemming. I to am learning all kinds of stuff. Put the diaphragm on the cover and then put it on the brake cylinder. Line up the tool with the window handle and then pop the clip. Nobody tells us these things and coming here to ask for help does not make anyone "retarded." 1972madison was way off base for that remark. Either that or he was just trying to be funny and failed.
Old July 15th, 2007, 11:22 AM

Yeah Its fun sometimes to learn things for yourself. But as everyone knows, some things, you just need to be taught or have a hand with.

I wired my rear speakers today, everything is sounding great. I've yet to access the front speakers under those covers yet, its rather hard to get to them without thrashing about on the windshield/dashboard. Not only that, I dont have the right size speakers to fit them in the first place, so I'll hold off on those for a bit.

Its sounding great, and with every new addition I add to it, It just makes me want to continue adding and adding. Things are goin pretty good.

Thanks again guys.