73 Cutlass S Interior Trim Pieces and Advice

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2021, 12:15 AM

73 Cutlass S Interior Trim Pieces and Advice

New to the forum and to restoring. Car is in another state so I need to come up with a list and purchase parts in advance to have them already arrived this summer when I go up to where the car is. I took a bunch of pictures but now must order based only on photos so apologies in advance for any dumb or obvious questions. Restoring interior torn up by dogs (back seat completely trashed.) I have outlined in red the parts I am trying find the correct name for in this 73 Cutlass S. Exterior is Emerald Green so may be easier to just go with a black interior and seats instead of all that work to go back to beige.
- Is that an upper rear quarter panel? Names of the triangle pieces?
- Is that the upper door panel? Correct names for parts houses or used parts appreciated.
- When I search in parts houses, they all seem to cover the Cutlass only up to 1972. Why do they all seem to cut off at 1972? If I find OEM, what other years are interchangeable with 73 for interior trim?
- We'd like to lean in to more muscle car instead of family sedan for this 2-door coupe (new wheels, etc.). Any suggestions for interior colors that work nicely with Emerald Green?
Any and all advice appreciated.

Old February 2nd, 2021, 08:38 AM

You will not find much in the way of interior trim parts for this generation of "A" bodies in catalogs. Aside from "A" pillar trims, lower door panels and armrests, they simply don't exist. Your search will revolve around finding used parts on this site (and, other car forum sites), e-Bay, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, local JY's, etc.

-The triangular trim pcs you show surrounding the rear side opera windows are commonly referred to as sail panels. Extremely difficult to find in good condition. They are shared with '73 Chevelle/Lemans/Century with same style of windows. Cannot use '74-'77 as they are different in that yours are designed for the shoulder belt strap and the others for shoulder belt retractors.
-The upper door panels and matching upper rear panels are interchangeable with all other '73-'77 "A" bodies (Chevelle/Monte Carlo/Malibu/Lemans/Grand Prix/Grand Am/Century/Regal) if you aren't concerned with them being "correct" in design style.
-The seats are also common to all other "A" bodies; again, only difference is in design style.

I've been picking parts for this generation of "A" bodies for many years, so if you need any help with cross-referencing, feel free to ask. Unfortunately, I no longer have any sail panel trims or "correct style" upper door/rear panels. I've long since pulled and sold the good ones from the area JY's.

As for desired interior color scheme...IMO, saddle or black are your only viable options. Between the two, I'd prefer black.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 02:52 PM

Crimsoncolby, thanks for sharing your knowledge on this. I'm sure you've saved me hours and hours on this project. I like your suggestion of going with a black interior color scheme and working with 73-77 Chevelle/Monte Carlo, etc. parts where available. Thanks again.